Waiting for the ups man

Dirtking

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm literally going crazy waiting for the ups to deliver my very first metal detector. So hear I am on here rambling on to past the time. I have watched tons of youtube videos and read countless posts on here. I'm pretty sure I have a basic grasp on how this works. Lets see. Dig everything and expect to dig a lot of trash. I am already a leg up on asking permission. I sent an email to the head park Director in neighboring city and asked permission to hunt in the city parks. He returned my email asking me to call him. So I did and he asked me what park. Kinda threw me off because I wasn't expecting that question. So I quickly went for broke and asked if I could hunt in the greatest park in the city. One that has been surrounded by houses of wealthy industrialists going back to the early 1900's. I've watched youtube videos of this park and it seems simply amazing with all the people that would go to this park. The park director said to me, well I don't want that place all dug up and I replied, I don't dig holes I cut plugs. I learned that from hear. He then said okay but then asked me when I was going so he could alert his men about me. I didn't have an exact day so he then told me to call him the day I will be going out. This would suck if I had to call him everyday but I think he just wants to see if I tear up the place. I plan on being very careful and becoming great friends with this man, lol. All I can say is WOW and thanks to you guys here for the advice.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey best advice I can give you is learn recovery in your own yard first, learn to probe and then how to pop a target with a screwdriver, I can pop coins upwards of 8 inches making only a 4 inch slit in the grass, which only pushes the roots of the grass aside, no need for a plug.
Well best of luck to you, and please click and read the link in my signature...Happy Hunting.

Mike

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations, try to stay in your skin, lol, and good luck to ya!
Where abouts are you at? Look around for any volleyball courts in your area, and sand pit playground/swing areas.
They've always been interesting finds there, for me. Yeah, just be cool about wandering the park and digging.
I had a detectorists come up on me in a park, almost scared me, he was just being cool, walking about, not drawing attention to himself, and when he dug, he'd get down on 1 knee, lay his machine down, you couldn't really even tell what he was doing. He was so discreet, no one paid him any mind.

If you run in to Tom in Ca, he'll give ya the tutorial, on "asking permission"! LOL! You may want to search for a few of those threads, I find them informative(and comical) at times.
Public places should be a no brainder, unless you got uptight, looky loo, nosey, busy body, control freaks around, that think they own the planet. Always easier to ask for forgiveness, than beg for permission, imho.

Have fun and HH!

OP
OP
D

Dirtking

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear you two. I don't plan on digging in no parks till I get a little experience first. I do believe that's in most instances it is better to ask for forgives first, lol. I asked this park director only because it was a neighboring one with community watches that would spring on the person that walked in the park and by asking look what happened, a good repore with the head man. This time asking first I believe was the better option.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't ask permission for a public park if its not posted as that's a good way for the parks people to think about it and come up with a ban and its good you already know about cutting a nice neat plug as that's a good way to get a place banned also, just make sure to carry a hand towel to put the extra dirt from the hole on as if just put on the grass there's no way to get it all off and will leave evidence of you being there. Some people just like to tell others what they can and can't do, some just get off doing this so I would say you got lucky this time. Damaging something is the end result and sense your going to leave it as you found it no harm will be done and your tax money is paying for that park just like everyone else so if your not hurting anyone or anything you got just as much right to be there as anyone else. HH

Spectre

Sep 13, 2013
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
White's 5900Di Pro SL
White's 6000Di S3 (Modified)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should spend a good week or so in your own backyard with the new detector before even thinking about going to a park. First off, you need to learn the dectector and what it's telling you. Second, practicing on your own property how to pinpoint and dig with as little noticeable damage as possible is much easier to deal with. Once you've gotten the basics down on your detector and how to properly pinpoint and excavate very accurately, then venture out to other property.

And treat all other property better then you would treat your own.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions