Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like finding great stuff at sales but as for me I won't even display bought items with my finds .its treasure hunting not treasure buying and he with the most money doesn't necessarily win

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Call it what you want to I guess, but when I hit the thrift stores and sales, I am treasure hunting, and it does not always cost a lot to hit it big, I remember reading some time back about a lady that found a painting for like 30 bucks at a thrift store, which was later sold for a million plus.
Not even 2 months ago me and my wife found 48 pieces of sterling silver flatware at a salvation army for a buck a piece, the next day I sold it to a refiner for 926 bucks, that's treasure found baby! though in hindsight I now wish I had kept it.

Mike

OP
OP
NJ Marty

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
I like finding great stuff at sales but as for me I won't even display bought items with my finds .its treasure hunting not treasure buying and he with the most money doesn't necessarily win
I have been hitting a lot of sales lately and Its definitely the knowledge that's key. For example, I get the same rush finding an HP calculator at a sale for $3 and flipping it for $90, the same rush I get finding a Large cent or a silver coin metal detecting.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like turning over finds getting steals at sales and thrift stores I guess what I'm trying to saying is if I dig a seated coin it means more than buying it on eBay even if it is a great deal.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just wondering if a garage sale find ever made the banner. Other than MD finds I have seen bottles and Indian artifacts. If not, does anyone think a garage sale/ estate sale find will ever be up top?

If you found $100 of Silver for $2.00 probably not, find a rare item is a different story.

Sent from my new Galaxy Note3
now Free

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't understand your post please explain briefly.

How is it not self explanitory? (I) think (personal opinion) most (the majority of) banner (worthy of being placed in a place of honor) finds (stuff you find) are dug (excavated from under the earth) artifacts (relics of the past).

is that clear enough?

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How is it not self explanitory? (I) think (personal opinion) most (the majority of) banner (worthy of being placed in a place of honor) finds (stuff you find) are dug (excavated from under the earth) artifacts (relics of the past). is that clear enough?
i believe because of the absents of an I and the ? Mark at the end made it a little confusing

DarlingGirl

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2014
LI, NY
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm! I think, if someone found a Tiffany lamp at a curbside, that it would merit a banner find. Same would go for a million-dollar painting found in a dumpster. We work hard, too - and it does take persistence and fortitude to hop into a dumpster, or brave the cold picking through garbage.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a discussion of this on an earlier thread, if you can find it, it may explain more.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Hmmm! I think, if someone found a Tiffany lamp at a curbside, that it would merit a banner find. Same would go for a million-dollar painting found in a dumpster. We work hard, too - and it does take persistence and fortitude to hop into a dumpster, or brave the cold picking through garbage.
Not quite a million but I was at an estate auction in NH a couple years ago and during the auction the auctioneer held up an oil painting that had a large hole in the middle of it. Softball size but it was torn in such a way that the fabric wasn't missing. Unsigned. He explained that the people who had consigned the estate had set that painting out to the street with the trash and he rescued it so it was his personal property and would be sold with no reserve. Evidently at least 2 people know who painted it or had a pretty good idea that it was valuable even badly damaged because it went for $7000. This is a small town weekly auction and pretty near everyone was in shock when the hammer finally came down.

JUNKER

Apr 7, 2012
SW FL,Copper Hill VA,Temple ME
Detector(s) used
XLT GrandmastercxIII Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NHBandit that's how it goes good bad or valuable as they say there is a a-- for every seat just have to match them. There are a lot of fines out there I saw a painting they had to cut a hole in the house to get it out that sold at Christ'y for over a million and where you came from all those old cars in the barn along with the gold that was all hushed up very quickly

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a feeling that soon garage sale finds and the like WILL be allowed on the banner and that will be the last time I visit this site.

I have been around a while and have seen a lot of changes to this site. Some good, some bad.

I like coming here as there is a great backlog of useful information. But if my hunch is right, people will whine enough and it will be done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread