ANY LUCK DETECTING THE BEACHES OF SOUTH PADRE ISLAND, TEXAS

point hunter

Feb 1, 2007
West Monroe, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI 2500
Hi. My wife and I were there last summer and stayed a week. It's a great place. We mainly stayed on the beach and explored down the island all the way to the channel. I recommend a 4X4 for the deep sand, however I saw cars make it all the way to the end of the island. I didn't do any detecting, but it's fairly deserted and you probably could without much problem. I can recommend a nice place to stay that's not terribly expensive and less than 2 blocks off the beach. You can contact Steve Hathcock, the owner of Padre Island Trading Company for detecting details. I don't have the link to his website but you should find it without much trouble. Let me know if you can't and I'll send it to you. He has written some books about the island. I haven't read them, but they looked interesting. I can share some information about the shipwrecks and the Singer ranch if your interested. Don't forget about the Texas treasure laws! Good luck and I hope you find the "big one" while your down there.

jasonbo

Nov 1, 2005
Round Rock, Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace250 / Cibola
I found this

http://www.nps.gov/pais/planyourvisit/things2know.htm

Metal Detectors

Possession or use of metal detectorsis prohibited in the park. Items such as seashells and driftwood, washed in by the tide, may be collected as long as the items are not used for commercial purposes. All other collecting is prohibited.

But I also found this

http://www.offbeattravel.com/padre.html

But then I also found this

Padre Island National Seashore

City: Corpus Christi | Region: Gulf Coast

110-mile-long Padre Island offers one of the last natural seashores in the nation. Each end of the narrow sand island is developed with parks and resorts. But in between, the National Seashore preserves an unblemished 80-mile stretch. Information about swimming beaches and extensive primitive beach-camping areas and nature trails at ranger station. Visitor center with gifts and concessions, bathhouse, and picnic area. Beachcombers may collect seashells, driftwood, perhaps prized glass floats from Portugal or the Orient, and other items washed in by tides. Federal law prohibits collecting historical artifacts like flint points, antique coins, or any other item more than 100 years old. Use of metal detectors is prohibited on the National Seashore. Admission fee.

OP
OP
C

COINMANN

Greenie
Feb 19, 2007
youngsville, ny
Detector(s) used
WHITES DFX
THANKS TO POINT HUNTER AND JASONBO FOR THE INFO ON PADRE ISLAND. SUCH NICE BEACHES THERE, IT'S A SHAME THEIR SO STRICT. I LIVE IN UPSTATE NY IN THE CATSKILL'S.
THANKS RAY T

qkslvr

Oct 27, 2006
The Woodlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD/Garrett AtPro/Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can detect anywhere except the national seashore or state park. The national seashore is well marked on maps. South of the National Seashore is South Padre Island near the Mexican border, and detectors are allowed there. North Padre Island can be detected between Mustang Island state Park and the national seashore park.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread