Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when metal detecting on the beach where do you make your most finds at close to the water in the water or in the soft sand ? also do you use your pin pointer or just look for it with a bucket full of holes ?

Most of my finds are from either in the water or wet sand, remember wet sand was under water on last high tide. A favorite place is water line.

I never use pinpointer at beach, pp is just an extra tool to you have to keep track of that I don't really need. I use to carry one and found I didn't need it.

Sent from my new Galaxy Note3
now Free

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

when metal detecting on the beach where do you make your most finds at close to the water in the water or in the soft sand ? also do you use your pin pointer or just look for it with a bucket full of holes ?

If there has been erosion on the wet sand d/t wind, swells, and tides coinciding just-right, then you want to hit the wet sand. To look for places (low spots, cuts, scallops, etc..) where mother nature hopefully groups things up for you.

But if the wet sand is soft, sterile, and sand is "coming in" (rather than "going out"), then no, you don't want to hit the wet sand. In those conditions, you'll be forced to work the dry sand.

No, you don't need pinpoint mode, or a pinpointer on the beach. Just visually x-marks-the-spot with your coil, and then yes, you use a sand scoop to retrieve.

OP
OP
dusty1530

dusty1530

Aug 14, 2013
Brownsville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you very much free answers I plan to use the all metal mode when I'm out at the beach and not discriminating hoping not to pass up any jewelry gold chains and such

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the "bucket full of holes" looks like I' m trying to shake it to pieces, sand is wet & and heavy. I do use the pin pointer when target is small and goes thru the holes like an erring stud or 22 bullet. I have to stay on sand my detector is only water proof up to the control box, and I really don't want to dunk it.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the dry sand. Found a lot. Wet sand is very heavy. No pinpointer.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have an MXT -- not good on wet sand. I also have a DFX, and it doesn't care if the sand is wet or dry. But I had the MXT first and had to stay on the dry sand, so I use a scoop, and drag it behind me on a dog leash, which leaves a trail showing where I've been, which comes in handy at times.

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi dusty1530,
-
Along with what has been said, i.e. Towel Lines, Wet Sloping Beach, around Lifeguard Towers, and the Trough in the Surf Line, or Wade Out in the Bays.

Don't underestimate the areas toward the back of the beach, i.e. sand around the Restrooms and Shower areas, sand around and in front of Eating Areas, sand in front of Rental Areas, along beach Bicycle and Joggling Paths, and obscure areas around beach Equipment Maintenance Areas, and if you can find the Dump Place for the Beach Power Rakes, you just might hit the JACKPOT :)

Also, scan a direct line from Lifeguard Towers to the Restrooms. Most people seem to lay their towel out within a 100 feet on each side of a tower.

Good Luck and Have Fun

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions