Is it worth $15

Greysquirrel

Greenie
Oct 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for a MD and have just about settled on a Fisher F2 but that will have to wait till after the new year, in the meantime I have got a lead on a Bounty Hunter TR 550-D that I may be able to pick up for $15. Now I know this is probably around 40 years old as I have found that they were sold in the 70's for around $60. Now if I pay $15 for it am I just throwing money away. I think I could probably get my money back or let my wife use it when I get a new one. Then again I will probably get the BH and she will claim the new machine for herself,
Any how is it worth 15 bucks if I can get it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for $15.00 you can hang it on your wall & throw darts at it , if it doesn't work.:laughing7:

In other words for that price it's worth a Try. Good Luck :icon_thumleft:

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it works then it will do until you get the F2.

Wife’s! What is theirs is theirs. What is yours is theirs. Always buy two of everything. That way you have a slim chance of having one.

OP
OP
G

Greysquirrel

Greenie
Oct 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the guy that gave me the lead got it wrong, the seller wants $55 firm. This is a 1982 model so that makes it 31 years old and I'm not willing to pay that much for that old a MD with that old technology, I may be wrong but I think I will wait and see if some newer used model comes along even if I have to pay more I think I will be better off. If nothing comes along the I will just wait till after the New Year and get the F2.
I will keep my eyes open for Christmas specials if there is such a thing in the MD world. Anyone have suggestions on what dealers are ones to consider buying off of. Going to stay away from eBay as there are a lot of legitimate dealers around the country that have real addresses and phone numbers so you can contact them if needed.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Greysquirrel:

There are several reliable metal detector dealers right here on TN. Take a look toward the bottom of the Forum. They are listed - and there are comments from members about their experiences with them.

I suggest you consider supporting those who support TN.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started out with the 550 D back in 1978 and I would save the money. I paid 100 bucks new , still have it but only out of nostalgia. It has lousy depth and just never found much with it. Not worth messing with.

gimper

Jul 25, 2013
Illinois far from Chicago
Detector(s) used
CZ-6, White's Eagle 1(both broken) Compass X-100 and no pen to point (why waste batteries)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree that piece of junk would only waste your time and discourage you. seen a lot of people give up after using something CRAPPY like that!!!

OP
OP
G

Greysquirrel

Greenie
Oct 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sound like I make the right choice by passing on the BH at $55, if it was $15 I could have lived with it for a short time.
Thanks for all the sound advice from members.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread