Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are numerous people on here that I KNOW are TRESPASSING... The key to good sites is permission although tnet is flooded w/ people who I know are trespassing (and their finds are mediocre at best, newbies...) Tnet members also feed them with many replies... Why? Every true relic hunter knows that permission is key to discovering history, please do not encourage posters who are obviously not following the codes of conduct... I know I'm not the only one who has seen it &t these folks give us a bad name... Permission = Great sites & no looking over your shoulder... Am I the only one that sees this? Not trying to be negative just stating the obvious...

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you saw my headlamp photo, but nope... not trespassing. In fact, that's why I can be there at all hours with a headlamp... never have to look over my shoulder (except to make sure there isn't a coyote skulking around).

I agree that people should get permission. It's just the right way to do it.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
you are right, permission is the way its supposed to be, but like in everything, there are those that either could not care less about rules and or laws and will just do what they want to, its like youtube, lotsa guys here in michigan make vids finding all sorts of goodies, and alot of times they say where they are, even places with no metal detecting signs, does not stop them, and even though I cannot do that, break the rules about detecting historic sites or other kewl places, I envy them that do, because the archies would rather stuff rots in the ground versus anybody digging it up...this land is your land, this land is my land...but Don't you dare go digging it up...bleh.

Mike

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you saw my headlamp photo, but nope... not trespassing. In fact, that's why I can be there at all hours with a headlamp... never have to look over my shoulder (except to make sure there isn't a coyote skulking around).

I agree that people should get permission. It's just the right way to do it.

Indeed!

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you are right, permission is the way its supposed to be, but like in everything, there are those that either could not care less about rules and or laws and will just do what they want to, its like youtube, lotsa guys here in michigan make vids finding all sorts of goodies, and alot of times they say where they are, even places with no metal detecting signs, does not stop them, and even though I cannot do that, break the rules about detecting historic sites or other kewl places, I envy them that do, because the archies would rather stuff rots in the ground versus anybody digging it up...this land is your land, this land is my land...but Don't you dare go digging it up...bleh.

Mike

I agree with a lot you are saying. However I respect archaeologists & the history they are trying to save. I suggest we work together. We already are. I could care less about money, I want to preserve our history. I care very little for those that would want to profit from this, not my style... I only wish to preserve history, not make money...

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I feel the same way, I do not care about the money aspect, for me its the story my mind conjures up when I find things, only reason I said what I did bout the archies, is they barely do any digs, atleast if they let anybody dig the stuff up, it would be saved, instead of letting it rust away.
you cannot preserve history by letting it rot away, in all my years alive, never once have I seen any archaeologist digging any historic site here in michigan, so imagine how much of that history is long rusted away...it makes no sense keeping people from digging it up, as for those that do want to make money from it, how does that matter, they are still saving our history by digging the stuff up.
I just do not really understand the point of view of it, both a historian, and a guy wanting to make money, both are technically saving history by removing items from the ground...sorry this has always confused me.

Mike

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel the same way, I do not care about the money aspect, for me its the story my mind conjures up when I find things, only reason I said what I did bout the archies, is they barely do any digs, atleast if they let anybody dig the stuff up, it would be saved, instead of letting it rust away.
you cannot preserve history by letting it rot away, in all my years alive, never once have I seen any archaeologist digging any historic site here in michigan, so imagine how much of that history is long rusted away...it makes no sense keeping people from digging it up, as for those that do want to make money from it, how does that matter, they are still saving our history by digging the stuff up.
I just do not really understand the point of view of it, both a historian, and a guy wanting to make money, both are technically saving history by removing items from the ground...sorry this has always confused me.

Mike

That's true, it's really not anything wrong with that. Good point. At least if it's being sold then whoever is buying it will appreciate it. It's just hard for me to part with anything although I would sell my jewelry if times got tough... But that's modern finds. It's my "oh crap" fund as I like to call it. I also have a lot of clad that I'm saving for a rainy day.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iam new at this only 3 months.I got permission at one place so for.Its not producing much.But thats ok.I have seen people in places hunting on land that states no tresspassing/private property and keep off.I stopped a few weeks ago to tell a guy the sign said no tresspassing i was told to mind your own business.It burns me because it makes it bad for all of us.But like any other thing in life some people are good and some bad.We can't get around that.So i only say if you get caught don't rant pay the fine and if your md gets confiscated you got what you deserve.I will be content just finding pennies and thrash as oppossed to getting a fine and going to jail.Just my 2cents worth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions