iron signals, when are they worth digging?

DiggityDiggity

Sep 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey metalheads,

I've been steering clear of iron signals altogether. I use a Garrett 350 and only dig when the signals hit in the nickel range or higher (sometimes one bar below nickel if I'm also hitting higher signals). Do any of you guys dig low to mid trash iron signals? Are there certain valuables that will read in the iron range?

Cheers,
Drewski

dnewbury2

Mar 20, 2004
Cherokee, AL, Occupied C.S.A.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Tesoro Golden Sabre and Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig the bigger iron signals in Civil War areas. I dug a Burnside carbine receiver by doing this.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I'm hunting relics, or If the signal is a little weird, and maybe to check what iron is in the area.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tombac buttons will hit low. So will thin pieces of native american trade silver. Far as iron goes it depends on where I'm at. At an old homestead I will dig everything above foil. Relic hunting on a fairly clean site I will dig it all. I have come away with a musket ball mold and trade era clasp knife and a whole lot of junk. Historic value stuff mostly.

-Swartzie

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Look at it this way, what might be next to/under that iron? I think you guys just might have missed a lot. Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Irons heavy and so is gold. This is only relevant On the beech obviously, where things are moving around like a giant big washing machine. I try find the iron and sinkers first,
and Then start listening for the pulltabs!

Gold rides an iron horse - even at the beech

Good luck!

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Swartzie. Normally I don't dig every iron signal or low tone unless it an older clean site. For example I have a site were there was a house but has been gone for over 100 years. Nothing has go on there scenic. So everything there even the junk should be interesting or worth digging. At least thats how I think. Anyway first 2 time I hunted this spot I only dug high tones, didn't dig much at all worth mentioning. Third hunt I dug only large low tones and again mostly high tones. Four hunt witch was last weekend I deiced to dig everything. Dug about twenty or so signals square nails, horse shoe, other random iron and a 1837 capped bust dime. DSC00726.JPG DSC00731.JPG The dime was deep and rang up on the low week side more in the iron range. I never would of dug it if I was only digging higher tones. Plus if coins are one edge in the ground the signal will not be as strong and could be mistaken as a pull tab or something in lower range.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread