101k for a fishing lure

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"American fishing tackle was way undervalued," Debbie Ganung said. "If this had been a duck decoy or a gun of the same (rarity), it would have realized 10 times that price....If tackle collecting becomes mainstream, these prices will seem cheap in a decade."

$101K fishing lure sets world record

Careful what you throw out from that old tackle box. That was ten years ago and they are refusing 500k for it now! Google Haskell minnow for an interesting read if the link does not work!
hh rory

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For that kind of money, it better catch a lot of fish. :icon_scratch:

Think I will stick to cut bait. :laughing7:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id like to see a pic of it. I have 5 tackle boxes from my childhood. Most of mine are worth $20-25 each but you just never know.

OP
OP
Mr.T

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
images (1) lure.jpg That's it there- google haskell minnow- very interesting-

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave my lure collection to my nephew. Maybe he will realize some value out of them one day. Its like old duck decoys. They can be worth a lot! Good read thanks.

OP
OP
Mr.T

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks,

I started learning about about lures because I found this one last week in a cove in Cobh in Cork. Ireland.
The rock beach was littered with trash so I turned over the biggest rocks I could find-
This was very deep DSC00478.JPG It's copper and old !Still can' identify it, but I now know it's a jig- not a lure-
ie sea water as opposed to freshwater. Two people have tried to take it already, to make a pendant one said! so I know its good. kk and maria.jpg
rory

The first person who can tell me here, on Tnet - Why a POSH person, who was on the Titanic, might not have seen the fisherman who could have been struggling to retrieve this lure or jig, can have it!
It's a riddle- any takers? All the clues are there-
Happy Hunting -rory

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Titanic was in mid-ocean that lure was under a rock in a cove in Ireland.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
What kind of shape would old lures be in that have been at a bottom of a cold fresh water lake for decades?
I figure the metal hooks would be rusted.

OP
OP
Mr.T

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Titanic was in mid-ocean that lure was under a rock in a cove in Ireland.

The Titanic left from Cobh actually! Theres a museum there in its honor! Cobh is a place- thats not the answer btw! lol
images (2).jpg I Found it where this pic was taken. Cobh was Queenstown then. I will rephrase the question- Why might a
posh person travelling on the Titanic not have seen the photographer who took this photo?

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for showing the pic of it. I dont have one like it. Maybe next time. I do have a few from France that worth some bucks.

OP
OP
Mr.T

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Times up! No one got it! The reason they couldn't have seen it is because they would have been on the other side of the boat. They would have
booked their tickets Port Out Starboard Home - hence the word POSH.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My uncle bought an old house here in NH. The barn was chock full of sporting stuff from the 40's-60's. He wanted to give it ALL to me if I carted it away. I took only the fishing tackle and he threw the rest on the dump. Back in those days, every town had a dump - not a "transfer station." Anyway. I had some very impressive old lures, and most were in the original boxes. There were old plugs and lures, and hairy this and that. There were mermaids with hooks and I am certain that there would be a small fortune there if I still had it. That's right... I gave it away. I chalk it up to youth and no worthy role models at that time. I screwed up. After reading this thread, I am sure that gear would have been worth easily $100k. :BangHead:

OP
OP
Mr.T

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Higgy.

From what little I know, the money seems to be in the Boxes. Kind of like toys!

Not much consolation seeing as you had boxed ones. Most people don't.

btw Noticed your signature. My history teacher was taught (lectured) by Tolkien, and put me on to him over thirty years ago. Same guy
was one of Ali's sparring partners for the zaire fight. Gentle giant. Ali trained just outside Dublin!

good luck and happy hunting!

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have a couple lures that have won tournaments for me. Not old or rare, but these particular ones must have some kind of manufacturing anomaly that makes them more effective, because they catch ten times as many fish as identical ones off the shelf at Walmart. I absolutely will not tie one of them on unless money is at stake.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread