older metal detectors

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't speak for all the brands, or all the models, but some hold up very well. I have a Garrett Freedom3 that I have had for 26 years. It does not get used very often, but it still works as good as it did when new. I was sent in ince about 20 years ago when I hunted in the rain a little too long and the speaker quit. Imagine that. If they are cheap enough and you have a bettery or two in your pocket to test tham, I think you will be surprised at how good many of them still are.

Let us know what you find. Be careful and don't pay too much to begin with. Of course there are still people looking for parts such as coils, knobs, meters, etc.

I would personally stay away from the so called "lesser" brands. Just my opinion. A realistic brand detector had a hard time finding a quarter under a newspaper. That was when it was new!

RJGMC
HI BOB!

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Depends on which one. I remember older machines that require a large square battery that I don't think is even made today. But high end analog machines, if they are still working, are darn good at what they do.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd stay with the more common brands - Garretts, Whites, Tesoro, etc. If the price is right, as long as they work, you're not out too much and some of the older detectors are very usable.
luvsdux

TonyTiger

Nov 5, 2013
Mellieha, Malta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cutlass Umax and Minelab X Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I'm using a tesoro cutlass which I bought for about $100,I only use it on the beach where I've found 100sof coins plus 8 rings.Ihave now bought a whites eagle 11 which I hope to use next week

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pay attention to the shipping charges. A lot of times they are twice as much as the winning bid.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I use is older tone machines. Great deals to be had on em. The prices on the new machines are crazy. If I'm dropping 2 grand on a new machine, it better dig the targets for me and grab me brew for the show.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread