CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all. The fake Garrett Pro-Pointer has struck home! Two weeks ago I sold a GTI-2500 to a new hunting bud. He's a true "newbie". The 2500 I sold him is in pristine condition. He loves it. I then mention that detecting w/o a Pro-Pointer is nearly impossible. I recommended he buy from Kellco, BigBoys, etc. Well, he didn't listen, and went online in search of a bargain? Bad move! Last Sat we arrive at our hunting location. He was beaming with pleasure holding his new/unused Pro-Pointer, complete w box. Since he's a newbie, I wanted to show its capabilities. I tried to turn it on and found the usual soft rubber cover was some type of plastic? Upon pressing the "on" button, only a single beep rang out? Now I'm really worried, so I pull a clad quarter from my pocket. I then slowly move "the fake" to within 1" of the quarter before any sound emits! Then I leave "the fake" placed on quarter. No sound or vibration!!! Obvious counterfeit. What a shame.
We have contacted Garrett. They are aware of the problem of counterfeits, but really, what can they do? The problem stems from China. I hear Minelab and other metal detector brands are experiencing the same.
My friend now has a real Pro-Pointer and is happy.
Please beware!!!

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to belittle the fake issues.....

You stated "...I then mention that detecting w/o a Pro-Pointer is nearly impossible...", and I don't agree. While I do use a Garrett pinpointer, the 2500 gets me very close. And unless I really have to dig deep, I don't need the pinpointer most of the time.

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Won't hunt without my Propointer. Glad your friend finally got the real one.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You stated "...I then mention that detecting w/o a Pro-Pointer is nearly impossible...", and I don't agree. While I do use a Garrett pinpointer, the 2500 gets me very close. And unless I really have to dig deep, I don't need the pinpointer met of the time.

Thanks for the response Alan Applegate!
I realize you are an experienced detectorist that has no use of a Pinpointer, as am I. Yet, as previously stated, my new friend is not. Without a Pinpointer entering this hobby, a "newbie " will be lost. Quite possibly even quit. Can't have that. Peace

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A pin-pointer makes a huge difference in clay soil that tends to hide something very well.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You stated "...I then mention that detecting w/o a Pro-Pointer is nearly impossible...", and I don't agree. While I do use a Garrett pinpointer, the 2500 gets me very close. And unless I really have to dig deep, I don't need the pinpointer met of the time.

To me the pinpointer is just fast recovery...I can tell with my detector pretty much where it is too, but having the pinpointer is a godsend..Plus i have dug things deep in compacted soil, and knowing if im an inch off either way is very nice

golden ray

Jan 30, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
& Lobo
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is what China does best, Making cheap spin offs of our
produces. And this is not just in the metal detecting field either.
Shame the U.S. can't control this importing of fake items.

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed about having a pinpointer! Would not attempt to go out without one. There are many theory's about just swinging your machine but unless you want to dig up half the earth for a find then go to it!
Rich

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks G.I. Digger. I never dig w/o a pro-pointer! I don't care what anyone says, Garrett , Minelab , even cheap pointers, make detecting faster. i.e., more finds! Peace

DiggityDiggity

Sep 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You stated "...I then mention that detecting w/o a Pro-Pointer is nearly impossible...", and I don't agree. While I do use a Garrett pinpointer, the 2500 gets me very close. And unless I really have to dig deep, I don't need the pinpointer most of the time.

but with a pin-pointer your time in finding the item will be significantly reduced, leaving you more time in your day to dig more holes. more holes = more cha-ching!

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How bout a tip off where the junk was purchased, so that others do not get duped. :icon_thumright:

jarhead0341

Oct 12, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a low down dirty shame that they are getting away with this! Bad enough they flood our market with knock off golf clubs and pin pointers but now MILLIONS of dollars of fake currency and bullion. This is actually an act of war! But I guess we don't have time to deal with it since we are currently at war with the law abiding,hard working,gun toting LEGAL citizens:dontknow:

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear that! China is out of control and needs dealt with. They copy everything and do not recognize patent laws.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks True_Metal! I've been working on this. I will post the actuall site soon. The counterfeiters cover their tracks well. Peace

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool superman developing everything and improve and upgrade everything

Yeah, well I beg to differ. Bunch of crappy made junk that they should be ashamed to produce. I somehow doubt that they care, since they would sell their own mothers for a dollar. Scum of the earth.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I'll be getting a new pin pointer from one of our American Co. Probably Garrett, at lest at that end of the day if something doesn't work I have an address where to send it and they will stand on their word. The scary part China owns our national debt! We couldn't be taken down from the out side, but from the inside maybe, depends how PO we get. Keep us up dated on the fake knock off stuff, helps keep the newbies and us all from problems. Thanks!

coinbug

Jul 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher Goldbug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread