UPDATE! Fake Garrett ProPointer

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A simple solution is for garrett to stop making them in china, with these companies now days they probably don't really care that you bought a piece of crud just that they lost out on your money. These companies won't stop making them in china until they lose their business because of the fakes, then they will want us to cry a river for them, I for one won't be one of the people crying for them.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There have been some videos posted of the fake Propointer. It does not work well. There is no accelerating beep as you near the target, detection depth is much weaker. Add to that the lack of warranty support. Garrett only allows their new product to be sold by authorized dealers/distributors. Dealer cost is more than double the prices these knockoffs are being sold for. You do get what you pay for - a below market price will provide you a below market performance.

Wayne

Www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks barrywk. Thanks luvsdux. Happy New Year.
The problem seems to be that we Must physically "try one", as luvsdux states, to believe a product is genuine. This type of uncertainty is sad for the individual buyer. Can we really trust Garrett, Procter n Gamble, Intel, Nike, Apple etc.
Peace

That's why you are supposed to buy from authorized dealers!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A simple solution is for garrett to stop making them in china, with these companies now days they probably don't really care that you bought a piece of crud just that they lost out on your money. These companies won't stop making them in china until they lose their business because of the fakes, then they will want us to cry a river for them, I for one won't be one of the people crying for them.

Unless Garrett has recently changed business model (and I doubt they have) they have their OWN factory at their headquarters in Dallas, TX where they make all their detectors. The only company I know that has their detectors made in China is First Texas (which owns many, many brands. Look them up). But Garrett isn't one of them.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless Garrett has recently changed business model (and I doubt they have) they have their OWN factory at their headquarters in Dallas, TX where they make all their detectors. The only company I know that has their detectors made in China is First Texas (which owns many, many brands. Look them up). But Garrett isn't one of them.
Jason you might want to do a little fact checking yourself. Technetics is first texas and made in USA. The way I understand is the bounty hunter junior is only one not made in USA.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a sucker born every minute. - P.T. Barnum
Go to teknetics website on a big red, white and blue flag it says made in USA. I don't think you'll find any electronic product that does'nt have some foreign parts but I'd still lie to know where information to the contrary is. Thanks

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Go to teknetics website on a big red, white and blue flag it says made in USA. I don't think you'll find any electronic product that does'nt have some foreign parts but I'd still lie to know where information to the contrary is. Thanks

Hello. The eBay address my friend purchased his counterfeit Garrett ProPointer from is, tstrick972. This person is located in Georgia. We should have a return address in a day or two. Also know, the person is now selling a Garrett AT-Pro package. I obviously can't comment on the validity of this Garrett product as I have not viewed/tested it. But, PLEASE BEWARE of the above eBay address!
Also, my friend is giving me the "fake". Do you think the best thing to do is send it to Garrett? Please let me know your thoughts. Peace

The op's post has nothing to do with teknetics. Its about Garret Pro Pointers. Everything is made in China. Stay on topic. Thanks. Oh, and always buy from reputable dealers, especially Tnet sponsors. That way you wont get knock offs. The good dealers are factory certified and buy from the actual factory. So no worries. Its right as rain. If anyone here has bought bogus product from certified Tnet dealers, speak up. Knock offs are only purchased by suckers.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dirtscratcher, I seriously doubt you've offended anyone. You pose legit q and a. I am new to this forum and have had harsh responses. I have probably entered responses others have been offended by.
But, all in, I really like TNet. Mass info here. So, if I'm offended or offend in the future, I'm just gonna kill every response with kindness. Thanks
Peace

bayhawk2

Jan 14, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400-Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello. The eBay address my friend purchased his counterfeit Garrett ProPointer from is, tstrick972. This person is located in Georgia. We should have a return address in a day or two. Also know, the person is now selling a Garrett AT-Pro package. I obviously can't comment on the validity of this Garrett product as I have not viewed/tested it. But, PLEASE BEWARE of the above eBay address!
Also, my friend is giving me the "fake". Do you think the best thing to do is send it to Garrett? Please let me know your thoughts. Peace

The op's post has nothing to do with teknetics. Its about Garret Pro Pointers. Everything is made in China. Stay on topic. Thanks. Oh, and always buy from reputable dealers, especially Tnet sponsors. That way you wont get knock offs. The good dealers are factory certified and buy from the actual factory. So no worries. Its right as rain. If anyone here has bought bogus product from certified Tnet dealers, speak up. Knock offs are only purchased by suckers.
Well call me a sucker then..Because I took it hook,line,and sinker..Yep-Had no idea..The guy tstrick972..and I have his name and address if you PM me.Took me good..I immediately knew it wasn't right..It was junk..I contacted Garrett and they took numbers,bar codes,along with my pictures of it and the box it came in.They only took a minute to tell me it was fake.Lesson learned..i bought it through Pay Pal and they went after the guy.I got a full refund.Garrett said they are going after him as well.The sellers story?"I didn't know it was fake"..Yeah right.His add said he was a Garret dealer.Oh well..Just ask the seller to send you pics of all sides of the box it's packaged in.PM me..I'll tell you what to look for...BEWARE!There are many fakes out there.

bayhawk2

Jan 14, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
[Well so far there is no proof that they are fake ...... Just a lot of people talking and not knowing .... Hell they could be the one's that make the pinpointed for garrett..... You have been talking about it for 17 days now with out any proof either way....... The way you all are going could be next year at this time you might know something............ ]..
I did not know of tstick972..I did not do my research on the sellers..Just the product..I got a fake one..It only takes about 5 minutes to know it..The fakes are junk..You have to literally touch the object before it beeps and you have to jiggle it around on the object to make it beep.JUNKO CITY!I contacted Garrett whom took serial numbers,bar codes,and the pics I took of the box and the product..They immediately told me it was a fake..junk..The seller tstrick972 said he had no idea it was fake..Garrett said they have been after this guy since Oct. 2013.I paid through Pay Pal..Got my money back..BUT I had to send this junk back to the seller tstrick972.On my dime...$6..Beware..Buy from a reputable dealer..I just saw on Ebay a person had one on auction..It went for $95 used..I looked at it and certain signs told me it may have been fake..Once again ..Beware!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should have smashed it with a hammer first. He's just going to sell it to somebody else. Personally, I wouldn't have wasted my $6 mailing it back.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well i only buy from people and dealers that i know …. The only crap i got so far and thought was a knock off was a Minelab cap .. Then i found out that pice of crap of minelab cap is there crap minelab should be ashamed to sell such a cap it is a disgrace for minelab to sell that cap to us….

Jan 23, 2014
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Whites MXT and Tesoro Silver Sabre Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YES, Please just tell us what to watch out for-especially if it's right there on the box! ??

Well? Why don't you just tell us? It certainly would be a benefit to those reading this thread.
thanks-

bayhawk2

Jan 14, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
(YES, Please just tell us what to watch out for-especially if it's right there on the box! ??)
I figured Garrett was in the process of getting to this seller and if he does continue to sell them
that we would know,but not him.Then we could help out.That was my thinking.Maybe not?As I told you in the P.M. you asked for,on the box it comes in is a picture of a guy wearing the holster and pin pointer on his belt.On that same side of the box in the upper right hand corner is a picture of a seal.Inside the seal is "Made in USA"..The fake does not have a seal.Period.Look at the pin pointer itself.Where it is
painted GARRETT Pro-Pointer.The fake will all be all in bold letters.The real one will have a finer printed Pro-Pointer.And then of course there is the real test.The junker is not hard to recognize.When you turn on the real one it will have 2 distinct beeps.The fake will have only one loud beep.The performance is horrible on the fake.Not hard to recognize at all.You have to jiggle the fake around touching the object to make it sound.Junk.so there you go..Good luck.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread