Cleveland OH
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II
Fisher F2
BH Landstar
Pro-Find 25
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are FAKE Garrett Propointers and THDs aplenty coming from China. Many are being sold on eBay directly from China (even though they many have a USA seller address showing).
In China it is NOT illegal to manufacture or sell a counterfeit product. They do not recognize US Patents.
In the USA it is not illegal to buy or own a counterfeit, BUT it IS illegal to SELL counterfeit products in the USA.
The problem Garrett, Whites, and Minelab have is that there is no way to enforce their patent in China, and they cannot prosecute the sellers who are not in this country.
They need to emphasize to the public that the ONLY way to get an official product is to buy from an authorized USA dealer.
I got taken by a FAKE Garrett and posted a Youtube video about my experience.
The thing was crap.
We should flood these forums to let people know that the fake stuff being sold on eBay is JUNK.
Authorized dealers selling on eBay can be easily confirmed on any manufacturer website.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I viewed video recently. Didn't know it was you Gary.
From all that have reported these "fakes" to Garrett, I only know of two that have received a response from Garrett? I hate to see such an upstanding US company deal w this. Think of the financial loss on Garrett's end.
Embargoes should be waged. How does an American know where to purchase a true product? Rolex fakes, bullion fakes, Buck knife fakes, Kirby vacuum fakes, etc. Its endless.
Good luck in all you do. Peace

GaryInOhio

Feb 19, 2014
Cleveland OH
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II
Fisher F2
BH Landstar
Pro-Find 25
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I viewed video recently. Didn't know it was you Gary.
From all that have reported these "fakes" to Garrett, I only know of two that have received a response from Garrett? I hate to see such an upstanding US company deal w this. Think of the financial loss on Garrett's end.
Embargoes should be waged. How does an American know where to purchase a true product? Rolex fakes, bullion fakes, Buck knife fakes, Kirby vacuum fakes, etc. Its endless.
Good luck in all you do. Peace

You purchase a true product thru an authorized dealer.
You can get a list of authorized dealers on Garrett's web site, so you don't have to just take an internet seller's word for it.
Real dealers will have no problem telling you who they are on eBay or other sites.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks coinbug. Garrett is well aware of the problem.
The fake ProPointer I initially started thread about, will be used as a learning tool for future detectorist as a "what not to buy" item. ;)
Peace

jonnyweiser

Sep 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He changed his name AGAIN after i busted him out. He even left me feedback calling me a pain in the ass and of course i had ebay remove it. His new name is "top-shelf-audio." I am monitoring his store weekly and checking his completed listings to make sure that another counterfeit pro pointer doesnt get sold in his store.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He changed his name AGAIN after i busted him out. He even left me feedback calling me a pain in the ass and of course i had ebay remove it. His new name is "top-shelf-audio." I am monitoring his store weekly and checking his completed listings to make sure that another counterfeit pro pointer doesnt get sold in his store.

Thanks for the info. I looked at his store and saw where he had sold Garrett Pinpointers in the last year under his new name.

You definitely take a risk when you purchase from Ebay. In the past year, I purchased a coil from someone on Ebay and it was for the wrong detector. I opened a case and was reimbursed, but didn't receive my shipping costs back.

Last week I purchased an item that was damaged in the mail. The seller wanted me to send it back to them and they would reimburse me, but they would not give me my shipping back. I think that sellers should act like a legitimate business and be willing to eat the costs for shipping if there is a fault in either the mailing or product itself. I feel that they should "step up" if they are going to make money and conduct business online. Makes me not want to ever purchase anything form Ebay as a result, because you don't know how people are going to conduct their business.

I've had products damaged before that I have sold and I eat the costs for shipping and reimburse the buyer. If I purchased insurance I would then recover my costs from the carrier. Simple as that.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread