Coin Probe

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:BangHead: I have lost both my hand made aluminum coin probes this year. No big deal but whatever aluminum rod I used is gone now so will have to make a couple more probes and can't find any small aluminum rod. I thought the aluminum worked well and was the best metal to use at it is so soft and didn't seem to scratch or damage the coins when probing. I see commercial coin probes are made of brass but what are you folks using for coin probes ?

OP
OP
team sidewinder

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:BangHead: I have lost both my hand made aluminum coin probes this year. No big deal but whatever aluminum rod I used is gone now so will have to make a couple more probes and can't find any small aluminum rod. I thought the aluminum worked well and was the best metal to use at it is so soft and didn't seem to scratch or damage the coins when probing. I see commercial coin probes are made of brass but what are you folks using for coin probes ?

I finally went the local metal fabrication shop and picked up a 1/8 stick of aluminum welding rod which I cleaned the flux off of and it was enough for 3 coin probes with a small piece of 1/2 wooden dowel for the handle. I have even tired a piece of neon orange paracord to the handles but still I seem to be able to lose them because they come when I pull out the digger or pro pointer. Luckily I have not lost a digger or pro pointer YET. Knock on wood.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old screwdriver, and hope I don't scratch anything. If I think it's old I dig a plug and use pin pointer. Maybe you can come up with a new probe that's better. You may need to have a separate loop for your probe so it doesn't pull out with the other tools. They have those locator beacons that beep if you stray too far away, stick on on your probe,

Last edited:

Garbagebill

Nov 1, 2013
San Joaquin valley Ca.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics gamma 6000/Detech 13" Ultimate DD Coil
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Buzz Wilson Bomb Sheath/Lesche digging tool/Black Widow headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm using an old 21" screw driver with the tip grinded off and smoothed. I'm sure it could damage a coin, but it's much easier to flip the dirt with the solid metal. image.jpg

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine is an old one from the 80's. Spring-steel rod (about as thick as pencil-lead) with a small steel ball (just barely bigger than the shaft) welded to the tip. Been using it for a long time and it's never scratched a coin. Now those sharpened brass WILL scratch a coin like butter.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased a commercially made one and tried it twice with no luck. An old timer in the hobby told me to leave that thing at home and made sure i knew how to dig a plug and replace it properly. I never met anyone who actually used a tool like this.
How do you guys use them and how deep are the coins your popping out with them?

OP
OP
team sidewinder

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I purchased a commercially made one and tried it twice with no luck. An old timer in the hobby told me to leave that thing at home and made sure i knew how to dig a plug and replace it properly. I never met anyone who actually used a tool like this.

I just use my pro-pointer and probe. Most of the time the target is only a inch or two under the surface. If I can't find/touch it with the probe I resort to cutting a plug and use the pro-pointer. Most of the time I can just dig it out with my finger if I can touch it with the probe. No sense digging a plug and then finding it a couple of inches from the surface. There is no chance of scratching the coin with the aluminum probe but I am finding this aluminum is pretty soft and bends easy so the shaft is only 2 inches long. I am not out much more than a dollar if even that when I do lose one.

Last edited:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am surprised to hear that an aluminum rod will not scratch a silver coin - my question is wouldn't a pin pointer be sufficient ? or if you absolutely
insist on a probe - what about a hard wood like bamboo ? (chopsticks come in some fairly stout versions ) .

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Popping? These aren't for popping out coins, thats what a flat-head screwdriver is for! A metal probe is used exactly like an electronic one: To positively locate the target before you begin cutting into the ground. Nothing sloppier than have to widen and re-dig holes because something threw off your pinpointing.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Popping? These aren't for popping out coins, thats what a flat-head screwdriver is for! A metal probe is used exactly like an electronic one: To positively locate the target before you begin cutting into the ground. Nothing sloppier than have to widen and re-dig holes because something threw off your pinpointing.
I have not had problem pinpointing as I use my machine, then my pro pointer. I haven't dug any holes theta ended up being a mess since i learned to pinpoint with my machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread