Which one?

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Unless your near salt water I'd go for the AT Gold, not the Pro.
Research both AT models and you'll see the Gold is better.

OP
OP
Cladiator

Cladiator

Jul 11, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't the gold though mainly for jewelry and gold, I'm just wondering because I go coin hunting

Beeps in my sleep

Sep 6, 2013
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000, Fisher F2, Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT gold is better for jewelry however not salt water. Before my AT Pro was murdered by a F150.. It found many many keepers. I am buying a new one. I will not buy the gold though because I don't hunt for gold. I hunt old musket balls, coins ect. If you are looking for gold then yes the Gold. But if you occasionally hit salt water or are looking for something to find old relics the AT Pro works. Remember on the gold shows up under pull tabs a lot so its not as if the AT Pro can't find gold. If you read some of the finds these guys and gals find with the AT Pro it can find gold. All depends on your purpose cladiator. Either way you cannot go wrong. Garretts service is the best ever!

OP
OP
Cladiator

Cladiator

Jul 11, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer coins and relics and looking for a great depth detector and saw minelab at 15 and pro at 10

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello. I recommend the AT-Pro strongly. With it's iron discrimination capabilities and being waterproof, you can't go wrong for the price. Whatever you read about depth is suspect. Here in Ohio, my AT grabs clad quarters at 8inches easily. Silver quarters, less than an inch deeper. I have yet to find ANY U.S. coin deeper than 9inches. Maybe on farm land, since the ground is repeatedly turned, but that is extremely rare for me. All-metal mode on all machines does go deeper.
Minelab makes great machines! Their 28 freqs seem to me to be less strong than 1 strong freq from the AT? But, at this moment, I think the E-Trac, is the best metal detector in production! If you can fork out $1600. If not, the AT-Pro is a force to be "reckoned" with. Peace

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
The AT Gold is a great coin machine. Plus what's big for me is true all metal mode.
If you want a DEEP coin, relic, jewelry machine the Tesoro Tejon is it. Both the AT Gold & Tejon will in more arsenal for next season.
WATERPROOF TO 10 FEET OR 3 METERS
Not recommended for saltwater use or surf hunting
Highly Recommended - Prospecting, Coin, Jewelry, Cache Hunting, Relic Hunting, Organized Hunts and Shallow Fresh Water Hunting

AT Gold includes 18kHz frequency for enhanced detection of small gold nuggets, jewelry, coins and relics!

COMPARISON CHART
atgold_logo_chart_sm.jpg

atpro_logo_chart_sm.jpg

True All-Metal Mode​
Yes

Notch Discrim (adjustable)​
Yes

Notch Discrim (fixed)​
Yes

Operating Frequency​
18 kHz
15 kHz

Proportional Audio​
Yes
Yes

Tone Roll Audio™​
Yes
Yes

Standard Binary Audio​
Yes

Fast Recovery Speed​
Yes
Yes

Iron Audio™ (Disc. modes)​
Yes
Yes

Iron Audio™ (All Metal)​
Yes

Threshold Adjustment​
Yes

High Resolution Iron Discrimination™​
Yes
Yes

Digital Target ID​
Yes
Yes

Ground Balance, Auto/Manual​
Yes
Yes

Ground Balance Window™​
Yes

Waterproof to 10 feet​
Yes
Yes

• Freshwater use
Yes
Yes

• Saltwater use
Yes

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow its a regular atp feast. I don't have a safari but I do have a fbs detector, I would look for a used explorer in the same price range. I see sepros going for the same price as a safari that imo are as good as they get. If you are going to a saltwater beach a safari or explorer will blow a atps doors off.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a F75 or a T2, you wont be sorry. Good depth, and killer on rings and coins. Great disc and very sensitive on small metal like chains.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beeps in my sleep, was it your F150

Beeps in my sleep

Sep 6, 2013
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000, Fisher F2, Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beeps in my sleep, was it your F150

No I drive a Dodge Charger lol. It belonged to my idiot friend I loaned it too. He proceeded to forget it was behind his truck and backed over it because his dang cell phone call was more important than remembering he left my machine propped up against his bumper :(

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
Get a minelab safari or an AT pro?

I just purchased a Safari :metaldetector: a few weeks ago. I have been very pleased with it. It is an all around great machine for coins, relics, etc. If you ever happened to vacation at the beach, the word is they are a beast there dry and wet sand. I live in Kentucky and have mainly been hunting relics and a little bit of coin shooting. Found a 1770's Tombac button in a vast cornfield, sweeping the Safari. She was screaming that Minelab song.
Also, check with dealers on here or online and ask if they have any refurbished units (saves $$$). Most are simple returns because someone didn't have the patience to learn the machine and in turn brought it back. They are then shipped back to Minelab for a full inspection, cleaning, and have diagnostics ran just to make sure everything is kosher. Some argue their better in a sense because it's like they have gone through quality control twice.
I purchased mine through a dealer named "Ron" at Windy Cindy Detectors in Chicago, Ill. Fantastic guy and great deal on detector and accessories.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread