striderida1

Sep 16, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taunton MA lost coins from 1700's

I live right near Taunton, MA and keep hearing (from a few different people) stories of an old bank wagon that flipped over in the 1700's carrying a hoard of old coins near a lake. However, no matter how much research i do online i cannot find any reference to this supposed story? Is there anybody from Massachusetts that has heard this story as well? If so, do you have any further detail on the specifics of the story?

Thanks!

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I found it a few years ago but I spent all the money on hookers & booze. Welcome to the forum though. Seriously those of us who have been doing this for any length of time have been hearing stories like this forever. And these stories sell alot of magazines. The reality is that if it ever really happened the true details have been lost or exaggerated so many times that the details are wrong. Or it was found a long time ago and the finder simply knew enough to keep his mouth shut. In any case enjoy the hobby for the exercise and the joy of finding some lost trinket from the past but do it with the realization that you have a better chance of hitting the lottery than you do of finding "lost treasure"..

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But in case you just can't let it go, search old news paper files for that time period and see if and or where that actually happened then follow up thru the news papers to see if it was recovered. That should keep you busy for the winter, research.
Like NHBandit said its not easy to be a cache hunter, and you may check out a hundred different ones before a actually finding anything, or nothing. There are books on the subject by, Karl Von Muller, Charles Garrett, Glen Carson, and others, who have actually pursued caches, and maybe found one. Good luck and HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread