Friends Who Wonder Off The Grid

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
So you found a permission to hunt and the spot is located near neat looking lots next to the permission. Then, you as the legal permission person quickly sees the invitee detecting on those peripheral interesting areas, all the while me/you are visably detecting the legal permission. IMO, an infraction for the invasion of a possible private property by just one detector outta the whole bunch of guys hunting that day, points badly at the whole group.

What do you do about this?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You act like an adult and tell the offender to stop trespassing. Hopefully you explained all hunting boundaries before the hunt began. It's always possible that a person just gets so focused on the coil on the ground that they didn't realized they wandered off the reservation. If you don't do something you are either giving passive permission by doing nothing, or you are setting your friend up for failure by not reminding him of the boundaries.

OP
OP
M

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
You act like an adult and tell the offender to stop trespassing. Hopefully you explained all hunting boundaries before the hunt began. It's always possible that a person just gets so focused on the coil on the ground that they didn't realized they wandered off the reservation. If you don't do something you are either giving passive permission by doing nothing, or you are setting your friend up for failure by not reminding him of the boundaries.

The observation is made by FriendX(not a newbie) about that hot looking area and told that nobody hit it because it ain't a permission. Do you try to respect the hunter, who is many times more of a tenured veteran to detecting than yourself, or delegate at the moment. Some people get pissed like that. Natural answer is that "to each their own" but if it can get the bunch into even small trouble, it bugs me.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The observation is made by FriendX(not a newbie) about that hot looking area and told that nobody hit it because it ain't a permission. Do you try to respect the hunter, who is many times more of a tenured veteran to detecting than yourself, or delegate at the moment. Some people get pissed like that. Natural answer is that "to each their own" but if it can get the bunch into even small trouble, it bugs me.

Wow, it's like you never even read my reply. (Deleted by mod) There, is that clear enough for you? If your group is allowing people to hunt non-permissioned land, then you need to find a new group to hunt with.

Last edited by a moderator:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I/we would NEVER cross permission/boundary lines. Be happy with the permission granted! Metal Detecting is not viewed as it once was. Folks that trespass, don't fill holes, etc., are the reason many park systems across the country are banning our beloved hobby/sport! In short, if anyone I hunt with ever crossed a property line intentionally, they would be told, not asked, to leave. Peace

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You speak up and maybe get yourself some new detecting buddies who don't put you in that spot.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let them know whats off limits.If they don't want to comply find a new group to hunt with.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he's the veteran MD'er you say he is then he should get it when you politely tell him that you don't have permission to hunt "that" yard, if he continues stop the hunt and everyone goes home.

OP
OP
M

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
There's a lot I left out. First, it wasn't my permission and there was a small group of others on these occasions. It's not just an instance with one particular hunter at one particular hunt. In the end I think it is an easy thing to say "Just jump him and say get off of a peripheral, interesting spot next to the permission." I can envision an instant conflict by doing so, and nobody else including the permission acquisition hunter was aggressive about it at the time. I have been a leader on hunting an old spot with a new friend or two and when asked about "that spot over there", I'd answer, "I nor other friends ever hunted it because it has to be questionable to hunt legally."

I seriously think that simply confronting someone who is a little off the reservation might be a bit ballsy Over my tenure hunting for treasure, I've seen many stray. My question about it to others there in the on-going hunt indicated that we weren't there to be a judge.

Universally speaking...it could get real messy telling someone what to do. No confrontations ever occured by the law or property owners, but that's just luck being someone is grabbing half an hour to cherry pick a hot looking spot just feet away.

Do y'all really sherrif against your group members?

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There's a lot I left out. First, it wasn't my permission and there was a small group of others on these occasions. It's not just an instance with one particular hunter at one particular hunt. In the end I think it is an easy thing to say "Just jump him and say get off of a peripheral, interesting spot next to the permission." I can envision an instant conflict by doing so, and nobody else including the permission acquisition hunter was aggressive about it at the time. I have been a leader on hunting an old spot with a new friend or two and when asked about "that spot over there", I'd answer, "I nor other friends ever hunted it because it has to be questionable to hunt legally."

I seriously think that simply confronting someone who is a little off the reservation might be a bit ballsy Over my tenure hunting for treasure, I've seen many stray. My question about it to others there in the on-going hunt indicated that we weren't there to be a judge.

Universally speaking...it could get real messy telling someone what to do. No confrontations ever occured by the law or property owners, but that's just luck being someone is grabbing half an hour to cherry pick a hot looking spot just feet away.

Do y'all really sherrif against your group members?

There is a clear line between where you have permission and where you don't. I see it as black and white with no fuzzy grey. A member who wonders off the reservation is in the wrong and can ruin it for all.

As kid and as a Boy Scout my adult Troop leader got my entire patrol arrested for trespassing. He knew the boundry but ignored it. A non too happy fed up with trespassing Boy Scouts farmer was waiting for us. We got the full experience - a ride to the local jail, a short stay in a special area, while my Troop leader didn't get bailed out until Monday Morning. ( we were arrested Saturday afternoon)

The charges against us Boy Scouts were dropped, but that lesson stuck!

Mr. V didn't fair nearly as well - big fine!

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, it's like you never even read my reply. (Deleted by mod) There, is that clear enough for you? If your group is allowing people to hunt non-permissioned land, then you need to find a new group to hunt with.

Jason, watch the language, substituting characters to bypass censor still violates our rules.

We will NOT go quitely into the night!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread