Whats the strangest find you turned into cash?

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the strangest find you turned into cash?

I could probably list a few but this one gave me a few laughs!
Found it about 10 years ago at a bottle dump site in the river.
Since then, I've grossed out several people, impressed a dentist with the 100+ year old dental work, and posted it a few times on forums.
I was going to scrap a bunch of modern silver coins and found my "conservation piece" and said to myself.....WTF am I keeping this for? :icon_scratch:

P1110562.JPG

P1110565.JPG

The entertainment I got from these teeth continued at the gold buyer's shop when he took a hammer to them!
Just as he was smashing them, a woman walked in and stood there watching him, while pieces of teeth flew all over the shop.
I looked at her facial expression and thought this was priceless! :laughing7:
The whitish metal was actually white gold which I didn't expect.
When all was squashed down to the metal, it actually tested at 17K which was surprising as I thought dental gold was @ 15K.
Over 3 grams + 15% more (Because I bring him so much I'm considered a dealer) netted me around $100.
I got my "fill" from these teeth and was happy to get the money.
So, what's the strangest find you turned into cash?

Cheers,
Dave.

Last edited:

DixieLandMan

Sep 18, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202, White's MXT, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a pair of sunglasses that I sold for $10.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the Mr was building a road in central Florida. He ran across a few miles of easement, that had all the old phone and cable lines still buried.
They had to dig it all up, anyway.......

Seven or eight dump trucks later, trip to the scrap man, every driver was paid 100 a load, the owner of the company got 500, and the Mr,
he got a Jeep outta it!

I always laughed, I'd picture a man at one end of the job, spooling line into the ground.......
and at the other end, the Mr pulling it out, as fast as he could! :laughing7:
That was the best find our family ever had! LOL!

TonyTiger

Nov 5, 2013
Mellieha, Malta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cutlass Umax and Minelab X Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a bottle of baron Rothschild wine whilst detecting a plowed field took it to an auction where because the label was torn i still got £100 for it.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold is gold, right? I haven't sold anything yet, I kind of hoard my finds, except the clad, I've helped out family members with it.

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the Mr was building a road in central Florida. He ran across a few miles of easement, that had all the old phone and cable lines still buried.
They had to dig it all up, anyway.......

Seven or eight dump trucks later, trip to the scrap man, every driver was paid 100 a load, the owner of the company got 500, and the Mr,
he got a Jeep outta it!

I always laughed, I'd picture a man at one end of the job, spooling line into the ground.......
and at the other end, the Mr pulling it out, as fast as he could! :laughing7:
That was the best find our family ever had! LOL!

Sounds like a nice payout!
Ya that copper wire adds up real nice.
One time working a field that really had nothing great to find, I shut off the detector and went a pile of concrete that was bulldozed into a creek and spent a few hours fishing out this nice thick gauge copper wire.
I even moved big piles of rubble to get to some pieces but when all was set and done, I was $160 richer.
Getting a jeep out of the deal is fantastic!

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a bottle of baron Rothschild wine whilst detecting a plowed field took it to an auction where because the label was torn i still got £100 for it.

I read your post about that bottle of wine. Crazy!
One never knows what they will find and I surely would never expect to find expensive wine in a plowed field!

TonyTiger

Nov 5, 2013
Mellieha, Malta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cutlass Umax and Minelab X Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I told the landowner about the wine,he told me a house nearby got robbed a few years before and the thieve may have dropped the wine crossing the field.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't find this one with my metal detector ,but I found a real nice Cannon copy machine out at a dump site ,out in the woods.Had a friend of mine look at it and he put in a new pane of glass,I donated it to my kids school.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have sold tons of stuff that I have found. I sell all my pull tabs, bottle caps, nails, nuts, bolts, and scrap wirer that I find every year. I keep 5 gal buckets in the garage and I sort out my finds every time I get home. Then every now and then when I am driving here and there I may see something that someone has set out to the curb and I stop and pick it up. One time I stopped and picked up a old rocker took it home and gave it a good cleaning I got $50 out of it. I also have picked up a sweeper don't remember the brand but I put it on Ebay and got $225 for it. So keep your eyes open never know what is out there to make a buck on.....

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weirdest thing I ever bought is a child's mouth guard for football from the 1910's.it has the bottom dental cast to put them on. And the name fornsworth I think. I'm wondering how to sell them lol. I guess if I had to point to something is a neck massager that I found in the spring cleanup trash and sold it for $15. Dumbest sale was a life box case for iPhone for 5 bucks, it posted on Facebook and sold in 30 seconds lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread