Beginner

Ndcloud

Nov 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to purchase a metal detector for my stepson. He is a beginner, but I don't want to purchase a toy or a detector that is too high tech. He is 11 and is constantly looking for stones, rocks, well just about anything on the ground. We have zero experience with metal detectors. As you can tell I don't have much knowledge but I want to give him this opportunity to explore a new side of his hobby. Can you advise me as to where or what I can purchase for a beginner? I'm worried that I may purchase something too childish, or a detector that is so high tech we won't be able to instruct him how to use. We live in Northern Va, which has so many places to visit and search. I have to admit I'm getting pretty excited about the idea of treasure hunting. :laughing7:

Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Please help me to make this Christmas a great one!
Ndcloud

Magic

Nov 17, 2013
Around Alabama
Detector(s) used
None. No need for one.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Cloud,
I am also new to the site but not new to the detecting world. First of all I think that a detector would be an awesome gift for him and not only will it give you quality time together it going to create memories that will always be remembered. When you said he is always looking for stones and rocks on the ground my first thought was a nugget detector. Then reality hit and I knew that was a bad thought. haha. I have two kids myself 12 year old daughter and 14 year old son. Any way back to what advice I can give you which may not be much but I will try. You don't have to spend a whole lot of money to get what you are looking for a decent detector for under $300 should be fine for now. Everyone has different opinions on different types of detectors. The Whites and Garrett detectors are very easy to use and learn. I prefer a minelab myself. If I wanted to get my daughter a detector this year for xmas I guess I would go with a whites coin master pro (around $300) and put her on some good sites she can actually find something so she wouldn't get bored. trying to shoot nuggets is very frustrating sometimes even for an experienced hunter. Also, youtube videos and research is the very best way to learn what other people are doing with their detecting. Here in Alabama we have a club that has a yahoo group that meets and goes out almost every month on detecting trips. Maybe you have something like that there too. Sorry this was so long. I just got carried away i guess. The old timers here on this site will help you more I'm sure. Good luck. That's a perfect gift!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Compadre - $165.00 Turn it on and go!

mulletminnow

Tenderfoot
Oct 26, 2013
southport nc
Detector(s) used
whites surfmaster pi, compadre, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was looking for something lite and somewhat powerful for My Wife to use. After some research We decided on the Tesoro Compadre and haven't looked back. We got the 8" coil and the depth is very good,
I have put Mine in the truck and used the Compadre while She went off looking for shells. Wish Mine was as lite as the Tesoro. Should be just about right for a youngster.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Compadre is a good, functional option at the right price IMHO.
luvsdux

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have to chime in and say tesoro compadre.Easy to use and will find good stuff for you.Good luck.HH.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would also recommend that you stay with the major companies such as Whites, Garrett, Minelab, Tesoro, Technetics and Fisher. These detectors will re-sell easier in case you want to upgrade later. Most manufacturers now carry decent detectors for under $300 and they will be fine to start with. I will warn you though, if you are buying one for the kid, be prepared to get hooked on the hobby and want one for yourself !!!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While the Tesoro Compadre is a decent performing detector its not without its faults. Mainly there is NO sensitivity adjustment if you come into emi electrical magnetic interference) problems. Cell phones, power lines, invisible pet fences etc etc. Probably a bigger deal on the 8" coil (which I have) as opposed to the 5.75" coil which I would recommend.
I would recommend a Fisher F2. You get a much more enjoyable detector to use with no less performance. You get multi tones, sensitivity adjustment and depth meter not to mention a numerical display. For an extra $50 bucks over the cost of a Compadre, you get two search coils (8" & 4") & a pinpointer. I have both, I NEVER use the Compadre anymore!

KennyD

Apr 25, 2013
Belleville, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3, Tesoro Vaquero, Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would highly recommend the Garrett Ace 150. $150 or less, you can't get a better machine. I have one for my grandkids to use and they do just fine with it. Turn it on an go. Simple to use and very high quality.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check your area for a store that sells only metal detectors. These are usually run by folks who actually detect and can give you a lot of pointers. Plus they're not big box and you're shopping local. If you have a little knowledge yourself, check your area pawn shops, you really can get some get deals sometimes. (You need to have some familiarity with detectors first) I won't promote a particular brand; detecting is a case of finding one you are comfortable with and then being able to learn the machine so it becomes second nature. That White's Coinmaster isn't bad though.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO, the most important and valuable metal detector you can buy for him, is one that he will use. Not end up in the closet. This said, I fully agree w Mr Terry Soloman. The Tesoro Co has great, easily learned machines. A lifetime warrantee is also offered!
Good luck in your search and your sons forthcoming love of metal detecting.
Peace

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread