need a little info.

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I Brain Dead ?
Well maybe,heres the thing when swinging the detector and getting a fantastic signal SILVER hitting on .50-1.00 range I dig a plug place my Pro Pointer in the hole sounds off keep digging but can't locate nothing and yet the pp is still sounding off So I take the detector swing it over the plug and hole nothing fill the the hole back in and swing the detector over it and get the silver signal again in all directions I repeated this 3-4 times in the same plug and always the same results pp don't sound off on the plug only the hole detector don't show anything once you open the hole :BangHead:
So do I need a new detector or a Brain Scan lol :icon_study:

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I had the DFX sometimes I'd dig a shallow hole for a dime and run the coil over the hole and the dirt that I removed and nothing. I had pushed the dirt back in the hole. A few days later after rain I was back in that area and noticed a barber dime laying on top of the dirt where I had dug.
I had thought it was some thin rust that broke up and disintegrated .
I read somewhere that when you lose the signal to move the coil away from the hole and hold pin point and drag coil over the hole and dirt pile.
Go back and dig deeper and check around the hole up to a foot away just to make sure your not picking up something else.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The only way someone can diagnose this , is to be there witin you to see what you're doing , what you're hearing , how you're swinging , etc.... Do you have a proficient user in your area that you can hook up with, and trade off flagged signals ? Sounds like you're doing something wrong , and not necessarily that it's something deeper.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some of those old square nails sound like silver coins and are always in the side of the hole and not the plug.

OP
OP
Jim of PA

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only way someone can diagnose this , is to be there witin you to see what you're doing , what you're hearing , how you're swinging , etc.... Do you have a proficient user in your area that you can hook up with, and trade off flagged signals ? Sounds like you're doing something wrong , and not necessarily that it's something deeper.
Not doing anything wrong that I know of the tone is clear and the vid is solid using a whites classic id 99 out of 100 times the vid is right on

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
candy wrapper or cigarette pack foil will do this sometimes, its laying there in the dirt in one peice and gives a pretty good signal , you dig it and it gets scattered and no more signal so you fill your hole and the foil is once again consolidated enough to give you a signal again, if you dig it enough times the foil will be so scattered it will quit giving you a signal, but if i understaqnd you correctly you kept getting a signal in the hole with your pinpointer i would keep diggin.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Not doing anything wrong that I know of the tone is clear and the vid is solid using a whites classic id 99 out of 100 times the vid is right on

Jim, naturally no one who reads the instructions, and goes out to detect, thinks they are doing anything "wrong". I mean afterall, no one considers themselves a dummy, right? So it's natural to dismiss what I've said, and insist you're doing nothing wrong. And that it must therefore be the machine.

Consider the following true story. It's only an example, so DON'T GET LOST IN THE EXAMPLE:

A guy in my area got a 6000 Di pro many years ago. He'd never used a detector before, but considered himself quite learned, smart, adaptable, able to read instructions,..... and generally one to catch on fast. Thus knowing no one in his area that detects, he took it out of the box, assembled it, read the instructions. He heads out to the nearest camp-ground picnic spot. Afterall "how hard can it be?". But try as he may, he kept experiencing "disappearing signals". So he read the instructions again, from start to finish. Tries it out with targets/coins thrown down on the ground in his driveway. Hmmm, appears to be working now. So he heads back out the next day to the picnic camp ground. BUT AGAIN "disappearing signals" He'd hear a good coin signal, pegging on penny/dime, or quarter or whatever. But when he went to try to retrieve it and isolate it to dig, it would disappear! So again he reads the instructions. To no avail. naturally he figured the machine must be broken. So he sent it in to Whites Co. "for repairs".

~10 days later, he gets it back in the mail. He heads out to the campground again. BUT AGAIN disappearing signals. He was ready to pull his hair out, assuming this detector and Whites co. were a big rip-off. So he got on the phone, called up to San Rafael Whites West coast rep. He complains to them about the un-resolved un-fixed machine repair. They listen to his symptons, and Jimmy Sierra himself tells the guy: "you must be operating it wrong". This got the guy upset, because he took this to be a sort of insult: As if he didn't have the intelligence or presence of mind to figure out common printed instructions. He assured San Rafael people that: he HAD read the instructions (many times thankyou), and that he WASN'T doing anything wrong, and hence it MUST be the machine.

Along about this time, it just so happened one day, that the guy was driving down the road in the country near his home (about 45 min. from my town). He spotted me and a friend working a field along-side a country road (where a stage stop had been). He pulled over, and started talking to us. He asked if we/I knew anything about the 6000 Di pro, and if so, did I have time to check out the machine, and/or show him how to use it. We exchanged phone #'s. About a week later, I met up with this fellow at an appointed spot. He explained the on-going problem. We exchanged flagged signals, and I watched what/how he detected. Within 15 seconds, I saw the problem: Whenever this fellow would be walking along, and hear a signal, he did the instinctive thing: He "slowed to to listen to it". Or "slowed down to isolate it". But then, ... presto, it would "disappear". I explained to him that he had a motion machine. And that meant that in order to get depth, you had to be swinging it (at least in disc. mode anyhow). Ie.: the faster you swing, the deeper you go, with that particular type Whites. So that effectively, he'd only been able to get coins 1 or 2" deep or less. Anything deeper, and he'd have the phenomenom of "disappearing signals". Because .... when "slowing down", he'd loose all depth, and the signal would "disappear". Right away the "lights went on" in his head. And he began to see that the machine wasn't broken afterall. He had indeed been operating it wrong.

But the funny thing was, when I asked him: "Hey Steve, I thought you said you read the instructions through carefully several times. Didn't you see where it explicately said "motion required" ??". To which he answered that ... yes, he'd seen that part. But he merely thought it meant that you must swing the coil from side to side as you move. And he had even thought: "gee, that's a silly instruction. HOW ELSE is someone supposed to progress through the field and get any detecting done, if they're not moving along, swinging, to begin with ? Doh! I mean duh, did the instructions really think someone was going to stand there stationary with the coil sitting motion-less on the ground??". So you see, that NO AMOUNT of printed instructions can convey things like that. They simply have to be seen, shown.

Same with things like "sounds". No amount of printed instructions can convey sound. It would be like me asking you to "describe the sound of C major in printed text". You can't do it. It has to be heard.

hence I say again: If you have someone around local, who's proficient (preferably with your same machine), then hook up, go out, flag signals, and compare. Get him to pull out his headphone jack. Listen to what he's listening to and trying to isolate. See how he swings/criss-crosses. See how he retrieves, etc.... I know you think all such things can be gleaned from printed instructions, but .... sometimes no, that doesn't fully explain things.

OP
OP
Jim of PA

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim, naturally no one who reads the instructions, and goes out to detect, thinks they are doing anything "wrong". I mean afterall, no one considers themselves a dummy, right? So it's natural to dismiss what I've said, and insist you're doing nothing wrong. And that it must therefore be the machine.

Consider the following true story. It's only an example, so DON'T GET LOST IN THE EXAMPLE:

A guy in my area got a 6000 Di pro many years ago. He'd never used a detector before, but considered himself quite learned, smart, adaptable, able to read instructions,..... and generally one to catch on fast. Thus knowing no one in his area that detects, he took it out of the box, assembled it, read the instructions. He heads out to the nearest camp-ground picnic spot. Afterall "how hard can it be?". But try as he may, he kept experiencing "disappearing signals". So he read the instructions again, from start to finish. Tries it out with targets/coins thrown down on the ground in his driveway. Hmmm, appears to be working now. So he heads back out the next day to the picnic camp ground. BUT AGAIN "disappearing signals" He'd hear a good coin signal, pegging on penny/dime, or quarter or whatever. But when he went to try to retrieve it and isolate it to dig, it would disappear! So again he reads the instructions. To no avail. naturally he figured the machine must be broken. So he sent it in to Whites Co. "for repairs".

~10 days later, he gets it back in the mail. He heads out to the campground again. BUT AGAIN disappearing signals. He was ready to pull his hair out, assuming this detector and Whites co. were a big rip-off. So he got on the phone, called up to San Rafael Whites West coast rep. He complains to them about the un-resolved un-fixed machine repair. They listen to his symptons, and Jimmy Sierra himself tells the guy: "you must be operating it wrong". This got the guy upset, because he took this to be a sort of insult: As if he didn't have the intelligence or presence of mind to figure out common printed instructions. He assured San Rafael people that: he HAD read the instructions (many times thankyou), and that he WASN'T doing anything wrong, and hence it MUST be the machine.

Along about this time, it just so happened one day, that the guy was driving down the road in the country near his home (about 45 min. from my town). He spotted me and a friend working a field along-side a country road (where a stage stop had been). He pulled over, and started talking to us. He asked if we/I knew anything about the 6000 Di pro, and if so, did I have time to check out the machine, and/or show him how to use it. We exchanged phone #'s. About a week later, I met up with this fellow at an appointed spot. He explained the on-going problem. We exchanged flagged signals, and I watched what/how he detected. Within 15 seconds, I saw the problem: Whenever this fellow would be walking along, and hear a signal, he did the instinctive thing: He "slowed to to listen to it". Or "slowed down to isolate it". But then, ... presto, it would "disappear". I explained to him that he had a motion machine. And that meant that in order to get depth, you had to be swinging it (at least in disc. mode anyhow). Ie.: the faster you swing, the deeper you go, with that particular type Whites. So that effectively, he'd only been able to get coins 1 or 2" deep or less. Anything deeper, and he'd have the phenomenom of "disappearing signals". Because .... when "slowing down", he'd loose all depth, and the signal would "disappear". Right away the "lights went on" in his head. And he began to see that the machine wasn't broken afterall. He had indeed been operating it wrong.

But the funny thing was, when I asked him: "Hey Steve, I thought you said you read the instructions through carefully several times. Didn't you see where it explicately said "motion required" ??". To which he answered that ... yes, he'd seen that part. But he merely thought it meant that you must swing the coil from side to side as you move. And he had even thought: "gee, that's a silly instruction. HOW ELSE is someone supposed to progress through the field and get any detecting done, if they're not moving along, swinging, to begin with ? Doh! I mean duh, did the instructions really think someone was going to stand there stationary with the coil sitting motion-less on the ground??". So you see, that NO AMOUNT of printed instructions can convey things like that. They simply have to be seen, shown.

Same with things like "sounds". No amount of printed instructions can convey sound. It would be like me asking you to "describe the sound of C major in printed text". You can't do it. It has to be heard.

hence I say again: If you have someone around local, who's proficient (preferably with your same machine), then hook up, go out, flag signals, and compare. Get him to pull out his headphone jack. Listen to what he's listening to and trying to isolate. See how he swings/criss-crosses. See how he retrieves, etc.... I know you think all such things can be gleaned from printed instructions, but .... sometimes no, that doesn't fully explain things.
Tom the thing thats so confusing is Why the detector loses the signal on the open hole but when I refill the hole signal comes back I am running at full sen. and full disc I only been using this detector for a few weeks could be that some sort of halo is removed on the open hole I Don't know anyone the my area that detects and its only this one hole lol

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clear everything you dig from your hole to about a foot away and see if you can move the target.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tom the thing thats so confusing is Why the detector loses the signal on the open hole but when I refill the hole signal comes back I am running at full sen. and full disc I only been using this detector for a few weeks could be that some sort of halo is removed on the open hole I Don't know anyone the my area that detects and its only this one hole lol

certainly there must be a club somewhere in your part of your state . Or a dealer that knows of other hobbyists around there. Or a geographic specific forum.

If it's just that one spot (and not an on-going phenomenom ), why not just forget that and move on?

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I Brain Dead ?
Well maybe,heres the thing when swinging the detector and getting a fantastic signal SILVER hitting on .50-1.00 range I dig a plug place my Pro Pointer in the hole sounds off keep digging but can't locate nothing and yet the pp is still sounding off So I take the detector swing it over the plug and hole nothing fill the the hole back in and swing the detector over it and get the silver signal again in all directions I repeated this 3-4 times in the same plug and always the same results pp don't sound off on the plug only the hole detector don't show anything once you open the hole :BangHead:
So do I need a new detector or a Brain Scan lol :icon_study:

That happens to me with my M6. Once the target was deeper in the hole, once it was a broken metal necklace, last time my back was killing me & my batteries were getting low,I will check that next time. My detector never lies to me, it does like to laugh @ me when it says "ring" & I dig a pop top

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i have only used a fisher 1265 for the last 20 or so years and yes it has to be moving to detect properly, until i pull the pinpoint trigger which i rarely use since i got a pinpointer.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see you use a F75. There is a few targets that will do just what your explaining. Some of the answers are above. The most common signal would be a dime. A dime on its side is very hard to find as modern dimes turn the color of dirt. Can slaw will do the same, even the smallest piece of foil will set the detector off. The detector is much more sensitive than your pin pointer trust me. So a small piece of metal will do this. I have found links off a chain, the F75 is very sensitive.

The second thing that comes to mind, is your detecting your shoe or digger. Clear everything away from hole. I wear a nike with all leather uppers for detecting as I am bad about this. You have experienced the machine registering a coin next to a pole already also, just took me a bit to realize the minute difference in sound. Take your toe rings off lol.

You may have a can, a deep can or pipe underground. Get used to digging coins at elbow depth. You got a low GB say under 60 and the F75 will really reach for me.

Now is this is a new machine, most likely its the monkey as my wife says. But I had a coil out of phase and I still was able to dig, but my pinpoint was way off. Also some targets will also just keep falling back into the hole due to size. But when this has happened to me it was always a dime when I finally found the coin. The F75 just loves dimes more than anything.

Two more things real quick. If your machine is especially chatty, you may have a bad coil. Thats what happened with mine. Last, lower the sensitivity, to about 35. You just dont need any more for the park. A setting of 50 will get you ten inches easily.

I run in two modes, JE with sens at 35, and disc at 4 or 18. In all metal, I max the settings out what ever it will run. The settings of disc and all metal work together. So if you gb with all metal, it carrys over to disc. I try to balance them out. I sure hope this helps. You will find plenty of small pieces of buttons, that the propointer wont pick up. If there is still signal in the hole you are detecting it is a deeeep soda can. Good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jim of PA

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see you use a F75. There is a few targets that will do just what your explaining. Some of the answers are above. The most common signal would be a dime. A dime on its side is very hard to find as modern dimes turn the color of dirt. Can slaw will do the same, even the smallest piece of foil will set the detector off. The detector is much more sensitive than your pin pointer trust me. So a small piece of metal will do this. I have found links off a chain, the F75 is very sensitive.

The second thing that comes to mind, is your detecting your shoe or digger. Clear everything away from hole. I wear a nike with all leather uppers for detecting as I am bad about this. You have experienced the machine registering a coin next to a pole already also, just took me a bit to realize the minute difference in sound. Take your toe rings off lol.

You may have a can, a deep can or pipe underground. Get used to digging coins at elbow depth. You got a low GB say under 60 and the F75 will really reach for me.

Now is this is a new machine, most likely its the monkey as my wife says. But I had a coil out of phase and I still was able to dig, but my pinpoint was way off. Also some targets will also just keep falling back into the hole due to size. But when this has happened to me it was always a dime when I finally found the coin. The F75 just loves dimes more than anything.

Two more things real quick. If your machine is especially chatty, you may have a bad coil. Thats what happened with mine. Last, lower the sensitivity, to about 35. You just dont need any more for the park. A setting of 50 will get you ten inches easily.

I run in two modes, JE with sens at 35, and disc at 4 or 18. In all metal, I max the settings out what ever it will run. The settings of disc and all metal work together. So if you gb with all metal, it carrys over to disc. I try to balance them out. I sure hope this helps. You will find plenty of small pieces of buttons, that the propointer wont pick up. If there is still signal in the hole you are detecting it is a deeeep soda can. Good luck
Thanks But I sold the F75 big Mistake This is the Old Whites Classic ID

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree w HappyCamper. On most VDI detectors a reading of 95+ indicates a large coin. 9 times out of ten, it will be a deep flattened can. This said, it just might be the 10th dig that you acquire a silver dollar. Doesn't happen often, but that's why we dig. Trust your machine if you know it well. In any case, dig all repeatable signals, know the history of site to be detected. History will give you approximate depths as to where most items lay. Peace

OP
OP
Jim of PA

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tim NEPA

Feb 1, 2012
West Pittston, pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had this same thing happening with one particular hole in my yard. I had dug it 3 to 4 times and had the signal stop once I dug the plug. It was a very small piece of foil on the surface. When I flipped the plug out it would be under the plug and since it was so small the detector would no longer read it. Plug back in and it was back on top and reading again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread