pinpointer or no pinpointer, that is my question.

wabash river rat

Feb 16, 2007
i know that this has been answered probably a bazillion times,but i'm gonna ask again.do i need a pinpointer or not. i am waiting on my first ever detector to show up in a couple of days. i've just about spent my limit though. after the detector, headphones,digging utensil, and shipping, i've just about shot it all. speaking of shooting, my wife will shoot me if she ever finds out how much i have spent. anyway on another post last week i saw several pictures of pinpointers that ya'll had put on there. someone put one one that was cheap and they liked the way it worked. but i have looked back for the last half hour or so and can't find it. i need help! pinpointer or no pinpointer?

Godspeed

wrr

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
a pinpointer will make your hunting a lot easier and a lot faster which will equal more good finds. dont hesitate to get one.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you dig a hole almost to China and still keep getting the signal 6inches down....and finally find it on the edge about 1 inch down...you will want the pinpointer..lol

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope. You don't need a seperate pin pointer.

You don't "need" a digging tool beyond fingernails. It just makes it all that much easier. I much prefer hunting with a pinpointer.

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
Yes,when it comes to detecting,yes a pinpointer will save you alot of unnecessary digging.The coins and dirt look so much alike,and when you have the hole opened,the pinpointer will allow you to know if you need to dig deeper,or it's on the side of the hole,Good luck.Ronald99 ???

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No need for a pinpoinet but as many said it makes recovery easier and faster. I've also got one.

swingman

Feb 7, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab (2), Garrett (2), Whites (2)
Coins on edge will deflect the pinpoint - sometimes as much as several inches, depending on how deep they are and which machine you use. My first experience - I was 'digging to China' - friend came over with a pinpointer - my first ever British copper was in the SIDE of the very wide hole, down only 4-5 inches. I actually had given up on the target. Ordered a pinpointer the next day.
Also - do you like nice old coins that you've scratched in retrieving? :-[
A pinpointer will help in this area. (It also helps finding your target in the dirtpile...again, prevents scratching.)

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
Its not a matter of need but whether or not you want an easier time of finding the target and lessen the chances of damaging it. I would go with a Sunray first if there is one that fits your detector or the Vibraprobe as the next choice.

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Yes, get a pinpointer. You will never hunt without one again! Sunrays are nice if you can get one for your model detector & if you can afford to buy it. If money is an issue I recomend the Techniks pinponter from Bounty Hunter, about $60 & tough as hell! Ive used mine fer many months with out a single problem. Heres a link from a local seller, he'll give you a further discount if you contact him & tell him you are a TN member.

http://www.saveyourmoneystore.com/servlet/Categories?category=Outdoor+Products:Metal+Detectors

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
TonyinCT,is correct about the sunray,if you purchased a compatible detector,The vibaprobe,i also purchased,this is waterproof,and works great,the bounty hunter Techniks pinpointer,you have to be touching object,plus,the dad blasted battery cover will have to be taped on,or you will lose it,I can not understand why they continue,to allow this battery cover to remain as it is.If you already invested decent money in your detector,don't try to cut corners,with cheap products,Digging deep holes will tire you out,but a good pinpointer,will make you happy.Good luck.Ronald99 ???

Brush4

Greenie
Feb 24, 2007
River Rat if you dont mind where you from i fish the wabash from palestine to russelville ill.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
swingman said:
Coins on edge will deflect the pinpoint - sometimes as much as several inches, depending on how deep they are and which machine you use. My first experience - I was 'digging to China' - friend came over with a pinpointer - my first ever British copper was in the SIDE of the very wide hole, down only 4-5 inches. I actually had given up on the target. Ordered a pinpointer the next day.
Also - do you like nice old coins that you've scratched in retrieving? :-[
A pinpointer will help in this area. (It also helps finding your target in the dirtpile...again, prevents scratching.)

I agree with Swingman. I just ordered a Vibra-Probe last week because of the reason he pointed (no pun intended) out. I don't know how many large deep holes I've dug, just to find out the item was right on the edge of the hole. Very time consuming.
-MM-

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yes! Gotta have a pinpointer! Makes recovery time so much faster!!!

Gotta have it! I won't tell the wife! ;D

Nana ;)

docholliday59

Greenie
Jun 29, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter pioneer 101 Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro. Bounty Hunter pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For the small investment a pinpointer is as great a tool as they get...It will cut your time and frustration in half...since I got mine I found all the things I've been missing....get a Bounty Hunter it's very reasonably priced and works great.

Lores

Apr 15, 2014
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro ACE 250 Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good pin pointer cuts down diggin times, makes for smaller holes and makes detecting more fun. A good one is a must.

Igyjastabay

May 28, 2014
The Beach SW FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I guess I am the odd man out. I have been running the same explorer for 8 years straight and feel I had more of a need for a pinpointer as a beginner than I do now. Yes I have scratched coins, but they can be scratched even with the use of a pinpointer ( I saw it happen to a guy who found a key date dime). I have periodically considered buying one though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread