Looking For A Detector ... Had a New "Whites 6000 Di "

C

Clam Digga

Looking For A Detector ... Had a New "Whites 6000 Di "

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to "Treasurenet.com " and I'm hooked on the stories and the awesome politeness of all the replies I read. Years back I used to own a Whites 6000 Di . It was sometimes a bit tempermental but a great machine when working optimal. Unfortunately I sold it to my B-I-Law a bunch of years back who destroyed and sold it. ( I wanted first refusal on it if he didn't want it) . That was about 15 years or more ago... ( I bought the Whites Brand New for about $600. I think) .... Now I'm in my 40's and want to take it up again and have no idea what improvements have happened since then to the machines... Whites or other makes. Money is an issue so a used model sure is an option for sure. I want a good unit with a used unit price.... Thanks for any tips or suggestions you may have. Just had knee surgery today so I decided it'd a great time to look. The soil in the Northeast U.S.A. is a bit rugged this time of year. I will post some bronze items later that my dive buddy and I recovered in Long Island Sound. I'm new to this site but not to the sport! Thanks

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Looking For A Detector ... Had a New "Whites 6000 Di "

Clam Digger...You might want to take a look at the Ace 250 by Garrett. I had an old old whites for a few years and also a Bounty Hunter. Got the itch again and after a lot of looking, listening and reading I decided on the ACE....$212 and some xtras thrown in. It is one heck of a machine for the price. I love it and only had it about 4 weeks now.
Randy

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004

The 6000 Di Pro is still a great machine. Most of the improvements have been mostly weight reduction and bells & whistles. I think you would be happy with just about anything so long as you stick to a proven name brand.

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII

I would buy a high end used machine that's good for land and beach hunting. There's a glut of really high quality detectors on the resale market from
newbies who buy expensive machines, only to find out they don't like the hobby. (Actually digging dirt).

Minelab Sovereign and White's DFX are two possible choices. Hope that helps. ;)

Ridley

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.

I do not what type of hunting you are doing but white's is awesome.being on a budget,not only check out used white's but what tesoro has to offer.for around 400.00 you can get a nice manual ground balance model.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Depending on type of hunting and budget I would search for a detector that serves my needs, what budget do you have? and what type of hunting will you be doing?

swingman

Feb 7, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab (2), Garrett (2), Whites (2)

I think you'd like the Whites IDX Pro - ~$400 range. Easy to use - 3 knobs, icon display. Very good pinpointing - better than decent depth. Power lines/transformers do not seem to affect it. OK at the beach, just don't touch the coil to wet saltwater sand. Has a 'black sand' switch, which I have very little experience with.
I hear it will discriminate in its all-metal mode (easy toggle switch) - giving greater depth. Wil have to try that.
It's been my 'back-up' for years, and I'm continually surprised by what the IDX finds in the wake of my 'primary' machine. Found 3 half dollars (!) at sites I'd hammered/criss-crossed with my Minelab Sovereign.
Good luck - it will be exciting for you to get back into this great hobby!

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT

Hi and welcome back to the hobby. The old 6000's were great detectors. The new whites M6 is better than them and also easier to set up and use. A great coinhunter. If you need any more help please let me know.
TonyinCT
WWW.TCMETALDETECTORS.COM

OP
OP
C

Clam Digga

First of all a "THANK YOU " to all the Treasure Hunters out there for your advice. Second.... I'm seriously on the hunt for a machine. Hey TonyinCT... I think I bought my original machine from you way back when Caesar was a Sophomore! I'm looking at a Whites IDX or the M6 Models. I'd like to "re comb" all my old areas and see what comes up. My Budget is about $300.-$400. as things stand now. The fact is I WILL GET ONE BEFOR THE THAW!...... BTW I'm targeting mostly coins and buttons. Although a Gold ingot or silver bars are of interest to me. My F-I-Law bought a 6000 di same day as I did at TonysinCT. He used to find rings like crazy... I found 1 or 2. One of my memorable moments was a Barber Dime at 9" deep at the base of a pear tree near an old 1700's Church here in CT. And a nice ladies gold belt buckle. I did find a bunch of silver and clad coins and one really nice 1853 Large Penny. It was near a Cemetery... I don't like the Cemeteries unless they are secluded... Where do you guys stand on Cemeteries and detecting for coins ? I wouldn't bring a full sized shovel with me , probably just a jack knife or the like. One time an older woman stopped and thanked me for doing such a nice job weed whacking the grounds with a Detector in my hand!... I have some old foundations in mind and old fields for now. I'd also like to do shallow streams like the 6000 di allowed me to do. CT has nice beaches and etc. Lots of history here just like anyother place I guess. That "elusive" stash of canning jars full of quarters has always kept my hopes up high as well. Thanks again Folks !

chefrider

Feb 11, 2007
N ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
A T PRO

Hey Clam Digga, I know of your situation, I bought a Whites MXT and before I had a chance to get to know it I needed to sell it. I have been out of the game for almost two years now and I feel like its time to get back at it. I have been using an old Jetco Mustang in the meantime. When you get the itch,you gotta scratch! I should be on the ground in about two weeks with a new ACE 250. ;D HH, Welcome Aboard.

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT

OK clamdigga ya got me curious. Private message me your name ???
I am stillin business so why not stop by and talk to me ? 8)

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

TonyinCT said:
OK clamdigga ya got me curious. Private message me your name ???
I am stillin business so why not stop by and talk to me ? 8)

There you go! Give him the next trade in DFX you get for 400 bucks for being a loyal customer Tony!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions