travel cases

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey all!
I intend to travel (by airplane) with my MD. Any ideas or suggestions for a hard shell travel case? I have a Garret AT Gold, pro pointer, digger that I will be carried in the case. I have looked at Pelican and SKB cases. Another suggestion has been to use a hard shell golf case (modified for the MD of course). All suggestions or comments are welcome. I would like to hear what others use for airline travel. Thanks for your help. :thumbsup:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not check a full detector regardless of how it was packed, too tempting for thieves. Put your coil, Propointer and your electronic unit in your carry on bag and check your rods and diggers. If the rods get stolen or lost they are relatively cHeap to replace.

OP
OP
voodoo

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the quick response SusanMN. I was thinking it would be easier to not have to break my machine down every trip, however your reply makes a ton of sense. Have you ever had trouble with the electronic unit going through security? (maybe a dumb question sorry.) thanks again for the post!!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problems with having it in carry one. They've seen them before.

Lefty59

Greenie
Sep 26, 2013
Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put my detector in a golf bag, in my golf carrier. Important pieces are also bubble wrapped. detector.jpg

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've carried a sovereign elite, a Whites classic & a Whites GM3 in the square guncases with no problems. Take the owners manual or a copy & place it in the case on top so it's the first thing they see, so you don't have to give them a class on how a detector works. was asked what it was one time. I pointed to the guy with the wand & told him "One of those, only a hundred times better".

Oh yeah, the square gun cases are a heck of a lot cheaper than the Pelicans!

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought a Stanley tool box, 28" from Lowes $29.98. My GMT fits well. They also have a 24" unit for $20. Very strong, I can stand on the top no problem. Has a gasket also so it's water proof (according to Stanley, have not check that part yet). You do need to disassemble to put in the case but I do that anyway to clean it when I am through for the day.
I had thought about golf cases, rifle cases, etc, but they hall had the same problem, 4 to 8 times the cost of a hard shell tool box. And the rifle cases just make too many people nervous when i show up at the beach:laughing7:
tool box.jpg

y

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I just bought a Stanley tool box, 28" from Lowes $29.98. My GMT fits well. They also have a 24" unit for $20. Very strong, I can stand on the top no problem. Has a gasket also so it's water proof (according to Stanley, have not check that part yet). You do need to disassemble to put in the case but I do that anyway to clean it when I am through for the day.
I had thought about golf cases, rifle cases, etc, but they hall had the same problem, 4 to 8 times the cost of a hard shell tool box. And the rifle cases just make too many people nervous when i show up at the beach:laughing7:
View attachment 1107107

y

Great idea! I like your take on why not to use rifle cases as well. HH:thumbsup:

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How about a pelican rifle case? They're a little pricey but you can cut the foam to match your detector and parts perfectly and they can be locked.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walmart has these bow cases for under 100. Add some old mattress toppers for the top. The case weighs about 20 pounds by itself. A good lower cost alternative to the Pelican cases.

Attachments

• 2014-10-18 22-06-41 - 0001.JPG
    2014-10-18 22-06-41 - 0001.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 79
  • 2014-10-18 22-10-35 - 0010.JPG
    2014-10-18 22-10-35 - 0010.JPG
    616.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 2014-10-18 22-10-11 - 0009.JPG
    2014-10-18 22-10-11 - 0009.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 86

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a couple of pics of the boxes I bought at Lowe's. No foam is really needed, you could warp some foam or a heavy cloth/towel around the control housing if you like.
But hay the box is strong! I can stand on it. Water proof (has a rubber seal). And its lockable too, (I am sure they would take the box and run and worry about the lock later).
All this for $29.98 +tax IMG_1013.JPG IMG_1014.JPG IMG_1015.JPG

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent Case

I saw a Plano Bow Case, on youtube, that a guy reviewed for a flight case for his CTX. I ordered that one and when it came it weighed 25 pounds with the detector in it! Wow!

Not wishing to haul around a protective case that weighed as much as a small bag of concrete, I sent it back and ordered this Plano Bow case instead. It is Strong, lightweight and fits the CTX 3030 perfectly!
It came with adjustable pillars so I could choose too use them if needed.

The case is the Plano Moulding Parallel Limb Hard Bow Case from amazon.com Model Number:114400. The case measures 43x19x7.5”.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread