Whats the longest you have gone with out a signal,, when hunting???

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
About 2 minutes at the most.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you want to count time times I forgot to turn on my machine? Half hour maybe then. Outside of that, when water hunting I can sometimes go an hour or two without a signal, land hunting, not usually more than a few minutes.

myfantasia1

Oct 3, 2008
Colorado, Denver
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, and now AP Pro. and AP Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
glad I'm not the only one who forgot to turn on the detector lol:BangHead: . I think the longest was about a minute

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've walked around the wooded area around my home here in TN. and actually thought I must be the 1st person to have EVER been here. I've had my White's XLT on relic mode before and have walked around for 5-6 minutes "wondering" if I'm treading virgin ground. No signal at all..... (yes it was ON). I've even got into my pocket and thrown some coins out front just to SEE and humor myself. Yep... it went off. Now I have to admit when just walking around the woods off the beaten paths your odds of getting anything "good" are slim to none. So that's probably why I get the silent treatment.

I was going through one of these moments once of not hearing anything... not even a mineralized rock when all of a sudden it just started to scream!!!!! Dug up a double-headed axe head... then back to the silent treatment!!!!!

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've walked around the wooded area around my home here in TN. and actually thought I must be the 1st person to have EVER been here. I've had my White's XLT on relic mode before and have walked around for 5-6 minutes "wondering" if I'm treading virgin ground. No signal at all..... (yes it was ON). I've even got into my pocket and thrown some coins out front just to SEE and humor myself. Yep... it went off. Now I have to admit when just walking around the woods off the beaten paths your odds of getting anything "good" are slim to none. So that's probably why I get the silent treatment.

I was going through one of these moments once of not hearing anything... not even a mineralized rock when all of a sudden it just started to scream!!!!! Dug up a double-headed axe head... then back to the silent treatment!!!!!

Sounds like my yard ( 10 acres). I can go 10 to 15 minutes in some parts of my yard without a beep. Out behind the shooting range I can’t go 30 seconds without hitting that darn lead I shot there.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I had to laugh when I read of those who forgot to turn their machine on. Such is the risk for those of you who use silent search machines. Like the CZ6 for instance. That's one of the reason I detest silent search with no threshold.

There was a fellow hunting the beach here one time with a CZ6. Some passerby stopped to ask him some questions and chit-chat. As they talked, the md'r shut off his machine. When the passer-by finally walked off, the md'r resumed md'ing. However, he forgot to turn his machine back on . He actually detected for 30 more minutes, before realizing his machine was off. Doh!! (Durned that silent search, haha)

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haven't bothered to keep track of the time between signals. However, even though I remember to turn on the machine, I have gone for a while forgetting to switch back from the Sunray probe to the detector which, unfortunately gives the same result.
luvsdux

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can safely say hours and hours detecting a 40 acre Soy Bean field. Waited months for the owner to cut the field. All excited as it was rumored there was an old voting/polling place located there in the early 1800's. Well, if it was there I never found it. Like others, I kept holding coins to make sure the MD'er was working. Hours and hours. Never seen a place where there wasn't even a hot rock.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I used zero discrimination in the places I hunt, it would take me a year to hunt just one old home site. Iron galore! I knock out most iron signals.

I do remember one time I was hunting a large field where I didn't get a sound for at least 10-15 minutes though.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About an hour in the woods, finally waved the coil over my digging tool, it was on. I usually have the opposite problem, can't find a "clean" spot to ground balance, and listen to chatter the whole time. I have a tendency to fall asleep if things are too quiet, lol! So if you see some one sleeping with detector in hand, probably me! HH!

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the comments! Sounds like a lot of the same conditions were I hunt. I can walk out into a 500 acre farm field and go half and hour forty five minutes with out a signal, Its always interesting tho. Then if I go to park or old home site it would take four hours to dig ever signal in a 40'x40' area!! Not that I would every dig that many holes in such a small area. I to carry a modern coin with me when hunting. So I can check the machine when I am at a new spot and don't hear much. Or people might think there is some thing wrong with me but a lot of times I am wearing steel toed boots when Mding. I need to ware them for work. You might laugh but it doesn't seem to effect the machine. Anyway they come in real handy when checking the machine to make sure its still running right! LOL!

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live at 7000 ft in mts.Some mining history,logging,ranching etc.Last month went almost an hour without a signal....it wasnt a good shooting area I guess...then bam I hit a large cent in pretty good shape.wierd...musta just been a fluke...nothing else in that canyon.

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a similar experience. My dad convinced me one time I should take my metal detector across the street "witch is a very large farm field". He said he was once looking for native american points and came apon a aera were he had seen brick, glass, busted china bits. To make a long story shot we walked over there and not 2 min in very high tone signal. 1836 LC! No joke! I did find some site what maybe was a home site for a short period some iron square nails ox shoe. Nothing else. That was a memorable hunt because I was with my dad when we dug the LC! Also first signal and I had already been mding for a few years at that time and never knew there was a LC laying there 50 yards from were I pick up my mail!
I live at 7000 ft in mts.Some mining history,logging,ranching etc.Last month went almost an hour without a signal....it wasnt a good shooting area I guess...then bam I hit a large cent in pretty good shape.wierd...musta just been a fluke...nothing else in that canyon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread