Austin Texas City Parks

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I haven't hunted Austin even though I do make trips to the sister's house once in a while. I might plan on a ride for T-day, and have done a quickie bit of Google research on detecting laws there, and it seems that metal detecting has been outlawed there for city parks at the very least, going back to 2006.

Anyone know if this BS has been changed and that I can at least hunt a simple city park in Austin/Roundrock? Are public schools also hardcases against metal detecting? martin

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know but someone may come long that does. Find out for sure don't get your self in trouble. HH!

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't do it. They will only give a permit now to find a specific lost item (must name it). This applies to all City parks. Wonderful liberal town it is.

OP
OP
M

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I simply won't be taking my spending dollars to Austin then. I don't have to aim at Austin except for the brief stop-over at the sister's place on holidays. I am beginning to not like Texas at all. Funky restrictions on "mudhole" lakes and this trend from Austin.

Thanks for the replies. My sis and family there goes automatic mode suggesting prime hunt spots, never even thinking that it ain't that easy to just take a detector about anywhere and swing. Non metal detecting people just don't understand the complexities. Bless their hearts though. People do try to make others happy with help.

I am thinking of skipping the drive to Austin. Eight hours round trip, visitation in "the zoo" there with kids and grand kids, and no mental relief in swinging a coil in a simple city park. Austin's loss, not mine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread