Rocks? (pics added)

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Rocks?

Show us a pic. Check out the meteorite forum. It could be a hot rock (hematite etc) or it could be a valuable meteorite.

OP
OP
Froggie

Froggie

Feb 19, 2007
Stafford Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Re: Rocks?

OK here are the pics, sorry, camera sux's (ok maybe its the photographer)
The mark on the top is from me busting it open
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
It looks like Iron Stone to me, a magnet will even stick to it. Does it happen much? Around here, I find them mostly in Mining areas but not much in Urban areas. And yes, they sound off like gold or any other metal, different than a common hotrock around here, but a hotrock none the less.

OP
OP
Froggie

Froggie

Feb 19, 2007
Stafford Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Ant said:
It looks like Iron Stone to me, a magnet will even stick to it. Does it happen much? Around here, I find them mostly in Mining areas but not much in Urban areas. And yes, they sound off like gold or any other metal, different than a common hotrock around here, but a hotrock none the less.

Now I'm really stupmed, A magnet will not stick to it

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
It must be a common hot rock. It sure doesn't look like a meteorite. Areas that have high mineralization will normally have lots of hotrocks, some magnetic, most not. High mineralization is one of the indicators used in determining weather it's worth prospecting for gold in a given area. We find gob of hot rocks in these areas, but detected gold machines have ways to deal with them.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Froggie said:
Ant said:

Well Iron ore does not have to be magnetic before heating. (like Hematite)
If you've got a possibility try to heat it then see if it gets magnetic. Or talk to a geology store or (lapidary store) a a geologist club.They migth help you.

OP
OP
Froggie

Froggie

Feb 19, 2007
Stafford Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Eu_citzen said:
Froggie said:
Ant said:

Well Iron ore does not have to be magnetic before heating. (like Hematite)
If you've got a possibility try to heat it then see if it gets magnetic. Or talk to a geology store or (lapidary store) a a geologist club.They migth help you.

I'm not going to follow up unless there is a chance it might we woth something.
The ground has tons of minerlization here and the area I am in used to be a rich gold prospecting area.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Then talk to a geology store or (lapidary store) a a geologist club, they don't have to destroy it (not always) or maybe you don't want to know what it is? (ok there might not be any close by either, then it's harder)

Have you treid the 'hardness test'?
http://www.amfed.org/t_mohs.htm

Try to scratch it with a few objects listed at the homepage above.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread