Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last spring, somebody/bodies tried kicking in the basement door. It was temporarily blocked by a project. Alarm went off, they failed. Now it is permanently blocked. So my early wake up call this morning was the home alarm freaking out at 5 am. The machine politely informed me "basement door". I also found out even as an old fart I can go from asleep to pointing fully loaded 12 gauge in the right direction in 3 seconds. So I took the NEXT 3 seconds to turn off the alarm. It was windy, I didn't hear anything. Cats were mildly freaked out, but not too bad, not like somebody was in the house. Then I waited about another 10 seconds to call 911 to have them come take a look. Door was open 1' and had bumped against the blockage I have engineered just for that purpose. It will open just enough to set off the alarm and not let the cats out I heard a car maybe 5 minutes after the alarm first started, but who knows? What's the effect again on 00 buck at 10'? I ain't goin' outside, that's for sure!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would seem like an attempted burglary. Was the door or lock damaged?

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
That reminds me of a story.A auto body shop my brother worked in sometime ago was getting repeated break ins.Who ever was doing it was getting in through the same window.So my brother took and ankle deep pan,put it under the window and filled it with heavy duty automotive paint stripper(back then it was basically acid).worked like a charm.No more break ins afterwards.:laughing7:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lock is broken, new lock installed. It was old. Could POSSIBLY have been the wind, but nevertheless it was an excellent test of my response time....and my need for antacids. Pretty much wrecked the whole day. Not exactly upset now, but I didn't have my nap, so tomorrow may be cranky Monday. At least I'm one of the 25 people in the country who still have a job.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Dont know where you live smokey,probably not close to me.I could fix you right up.:evil6::sign10:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its 10 hours, like 400 miles to Boston from here. About 300 miles to Albany NY.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My car would. Unfortunately my 2003 blew the intake manifold gasket and head gasket at the same time this summer and I got a 2 year old fire engine red Impala. It is a police magnet, but to their utter dismay can't get me with a ticket, because I'm not breaking the law! Back to the subject, I asked the officers this am and they said the burglaries are increasing and they're "everywhere".

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If i had a scanner I could send you a schematic.First thing I'd do is get rid of the noisy alarm and find something else that can quietly wake you up.Be it a very bright light shining in your face.Blackout your bedroom windows though.I could of made you a pressure mat that activates the light (to wake you up)before the guy even touched your door.You could have the door alarm activate a camera(evidence).Lots of things you can activate with a pressure mat.I'd make one that requires 100 or so pounds to complete the circuit.

Haywire Haywood

Greenie
Nov 20, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was tinkering with some spreader wads for my shotgun and came up with a #4 buck load that makes a 6-8" pattern at 7 paces. You'd be surprised at how easy it is to miss a man sized target with a 12ga scatter gun at indoor distances.

Ian

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't miss deer at 125 yards with a pumpkin ball, and hopefully the regiment of angels surrounding the house will scare the snot out of them and no one will come back. This morning, except for that car noise (I live in the woods), I think it was the wind. That lock plate was faulty. I feel totally secure at the moment and will not have any trouble sleeping tonight. That ker-chunk of a load going into a pump action 12 gauge scares any intelligent soul, and for the rest, that's why there's more than 1 round in the gun. My beastie has a 20" rifled barrel on it....

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep.. In a quite house you rack a 12 gage pump,,, Most people would run!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had that happen 20 years ago. Bunch of creeps pulled up in a pickup truck and started coming toward the house. I stepped outside with the beast and chambered a shell. Never saw so many people run so fast in my whole life.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There have been some burglaries in my area not many.I have a few hand guns And a 12 gauge and 20 gauge shotgun.Have an alarm system and best of all 2 dogs.And one is a pitbull.I always tell people if possible have a gun and dog in your house.A dog is also an alarlm.Good luck and hope nobody gets into your house again.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I was tinkering with some spreader wads for my shotgun and came up with a #4 buck load that makes a 6-8" pattern at 7 paces. You'd be surprised at how easy it is to miss a man sized target with a 12ga scatter gun at indoor distances.

I had a couple of loads I use to play with,one was taking the birdshot out and a couple pieces of the wadding and replacing it with with 4 to 5 .50 muzzle loader balls.Another load was pretty devastating,I would do the same thing except replace the bird shot with 1/4 inch ball bearings.(not for indoor use):laughing7:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope I NEVER have to shoot that gun again. It hasn't been shot in years. (But is still well oiled.) It kills on one end and dislocates shoulders and deafens on the other! I doubt I'll have any more problems. I really do think today it was the wind, as the lock plate was bad. I've been here 36 years. If this is the third incident, I'm good to go. I would HATE to live in a city, any city, the way things are going in this country however. We don't need politicians, we need a miracle.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amy foot prints or tire tracks outside? Or on the door. Take a strong flashlight and shine it on the door.

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know I live in the country too. I do have a dog, but she is old, and I have to tell her somebody's here now. LOL. I was on the grand jury a couple of years ago and was shocked at how many homes were invaded, in the daytime, and when someone was home. Scary really! I keep my doors locked even in the daytime. Never used to have to do that. My keys were always in the car and the doors were unlocked. But, I am an oldie and things are sure different today.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread