How should I approach a church for permission?

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a local church here that was built in the mid 1800's and is dubbed the "oldest church this side of the Mississippi" according to the sign. It was visited by several presidents in the early 1900's. It is a small church but is still in use. There are 4 large oak trees around the front of it that are at least 150 years old. It just looks like a great place to find something. Im just very nervous about going in and asking if I can metal detect there. Not really sure what exactly I should say or who I should even talk to. Any advice would be appreciated.

sfinder

Jun 25, 2006
Fort Dodge, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Prizm V and DD Coil
I would explain to the business manager or pastor what you want to do. That's what I have done to hunt on the property of the church I attend as well as other churches.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find that a LARGE donation works well. :D
Good luck. I hope you get permission. Sounds like a great spot. It's always tough to build up the nerve to ask permission. Just dress nice, and be polite.
-MM-

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Start with the pastor, and it helps if there is some sort of connection between yourself and the church. Pastors are like anybody else; some are happy to give permission, or help you get it, others aren't. If you don't ask, you won't get permission.

OP
OP
nathan104

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies. Guess I just need to build up the courage to walk in there and ask. Ive asked land owners and other permission to hunt before but the fact that it is a church just gets me nervous for some reason.

arkhunter- I figured others have hunted it before since it just seems like a great site. But, like you said, I wouldnt be suprised if they did it without permission. I really dont want to do that. Do you know of any other local sites that would be worth a shot? I havent had much luck myself. Of course, Ive only been at it a year and have never hunted with anyone else so I could be doing it all wrong anyways. There is a house that was just tore down up the street from me that used to be an old stage coach stop but so far it hasnt produced much at all.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Froggie said:
The countries oldest remaining operating church is a 10 minute walk from my house, I would love to hunt it but it is a historical site.
Aquia Episcopal Church was built in 1667, it is said to have several hauntings.
http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2001/032001/03312001/243264

Doesn't matter if the OWNER says you can hunt it. If the historical society owns it there is probably some sort of board or something and the problem here is usually a "board" caters to the whiners in the group and you know what they are going to do...Or, the historical society has hunted the hell out of it.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
I think you should ask for permission before you hunt the site. My suggestion would be to go in person and explain what you would like to do. People find it very easy to say no over the telephone. (Been there, Done that).

Good luck and keep us posted.

Happy Hunting

C

Clam Digga

I look at Church's similar to the way I look at Old Cemeteries . Some people consider one or both "sacred" or "Holy" or "consecrated" grounds. Anddddd..... Any good Christians should remember that Jesus went ballistic when he was away from the temple just to return to find it full of money changers, vendors and the like... so he blew a head gasket and over turned the tables. Remember That? Catholic Church's are easier going. Prodestant/ Baptist Churches don't let the Pastor make many decisions. He's there to preach and thats about it. The board of Trustee's or The Board of Deacons, or even the Church body in many cases will vote on certain issues. And like " Skrimpy " said earlier if there is a Historical Society involved you can basically forget it. Do you attend the Church? If so you stand a better chance. If not maybe attend a few weeks then you may figure out who to best ask and get better results.

I got my first Barber Dime in a Church Yard.... And my best silver Quarter in a cemetery. Treat the area's with respect for sure! Give the permission giver or Pastor some of the loot... It may make good sermon material. The Prodigal Son and the lost but recovered button. Or Jonah, the Whale and the silver sack of coins that were coughed up on the beach.

Keep the nice silver n gold

Why does it seem all my hobbies always include some sort of
ethical dilemma's I hate asking for permission. Makes me feel like a 4th grader. Thats just my personal hang-up.

Nothings ever easy.

Good Luck.... report back

Hillbilly bread

Feb 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
XLT , Coin Master & my nose<><
I have MD at many Church's & I have got my best find at a church. Your best bet is to go there Sunday & stay for the service. Get to know the folks. That is a good way in. maybe it might take two sundays. But it is worth the time. Hillbilly bread<><

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clam Digga said:
Holy Grounds ?

Sacred Grounds ?

Consecreated Grounds ?

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,70182.0.html

You'd Think it's Halloween or something.

Approaching the Pastor is probably the worst thing. Church's are too Political Nowadays.

Ask a Trustee
Link doesn't work.What if the church isn't historically old and doesn't have a cemetery and you are not a member, nor of that denomination? Rather it has a private school with sports fields and playgrounds and has semi-annaul fairs and carnivals held on the grounds?

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
usually when i write permission letters they dont work, but i have found with churches its about 50/50. some pastors, priests, rabbies and ministers are super nice people.....others ..... ::). go ahead and ask. chances are pretty good that the guy in charge will be pretty nice. might even make a new friend.

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
My first time I asked anyone to hunt a property was at a 1879 church. The Minister told me I could but the hunt was short due to weather. I need to get back there...we pulled a few wheaties and a 1935 tax token.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
just find the boss and politely ask --worked for me today

going back later found 2 pennies and 1 nickle before I left ---but a lot to look at still

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Best way to approach a church for permission for anything, ooh ooh ooh, I know this one. First get on Knees, then clasp hands in front, bow head, and then repeat after me Father forgive me. Then hit em with I want to hunt for treasures lost by your faithful followers. ;D

T

TreasureTales

Nathan, I first want to tell you that even bringing up this question is a good sign that you're interested in doing things the right way. Good for you! Asking permission to hunt private property is the way to go, and will do a lot to bolster your reputation and the reputation of the hobby in general. So thanks for asking.

Seems that your biggest concern is that you feel a little awkward about asking for permission. I think you have some options.

1)You could attend the Sunday fellowship that often follows the services. It's usually a very casual get-together which includes the pastor or minister and several of the churchmembers. You could bring a plate of cookies and introduce yourself and tell them what you'd like to do. Getting a few people on your side to nod or smile or express interest in your hobby is a good way to gain some support for your plan. Honesty is the best policy when approaching these folks.
2)You could type up a brief letter with a SASE and ask that they send you a reply by a certain date. Give them at least 6 weeks because they may have to have a meeting of the elders or laymen before an answer could be given.
3)I don't know how old you are or if you are married, but you could take someone with you when you go to inquire at the church or parsonage. Sometimes having an older person or a female with you makes breaking the ice a little easier.
4)You could telephone the minister or pastor and introduce yourself, explain that you've been trying to decide how to approach the subject because you want to be respectful AND that you're feeling a little awkward because you're not a member of the church. Again, honesty is a great way to get your foot in the door. Nothing disarms a person of the clergy like heartfelt honesty.

Please let us all know which tactic you use and how it went. Good luck, and keep the faith. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread