will she let me have ANOTHER detector?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

If I give her GOOD jewelry, will she let me have ANOTHER detector? (she thinks 2 is enough):icon_scratch:

Is this her money or something? (as if you have no job or input) ? I don't understand the "let" of this question. As if you need her say-so ? Is she some sort of tie-breaker beyond which no decisions pass, without her say-so ?

I suppose, conversely, if the opposite were true (that *you* merely announced a decision w/o her ability to dissuade you), then that too would be viewed as tyrannical, now wouldn't it?

Hence what to do in the case of a tie, where no amount of "talking about it" lends itself to either side giving in. Does either side get to be some sort of automatic tie-breaker? And if not, do the parties just do nothing? In your case, the "doing nothing", would be, in effect, a decision of her choosing, that you not buy. So in effect, that's not "doing nothing".

Ah the joys of marriage, eh? :icon_scratch:

kyskinner

Oct 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
T2se. tesero tejon. white xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
like I all ways say I im not henpecked I got hen house rules go by lol

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, let me get this straight, you enforce how many pairs, or what color, or what style shoes she can buy. Didn't think so, when does the new detector get there? Or are you going to bring it home yourself.

How many detectors is too many? I have 3 loaned out, 2 in the truck, just sold one to a buyer on IL, have another that needs repaired, multiple in the garage and I just bought my 3rd pro-pointer.

Let us know what you bought!

RJGMC
HI BOB!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

So, let me get this straight, you enforce how many pairs, or what color, or what style shoes she can buy. Didn't think so, when does the new detector get there? Or are you going to bring it home yourself.

How many detectors is too many? I have 3 loaned out, 2 in the truck, just sold one to a buyer on IL, have another that needs repaired, multiple in the garage and I just bought my 3rd pro-pointer.

Let us know what you bought!

RJGMC
HI BOB!

What? you just waltz out and do such a thing without her say-so? So I assume (if I'm understanding new orleans relic correctly), that there must also be no Mrs. RJGMC ? :tongue3:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad she isn't a TH'er then you wouldn't have that problem, but then you would probably have to draw straws as to who gets to use the "new" detector! Be nice and just tell her. I'm sure she has bought something recently.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Just FYI, I got my Whites 6000 Di Pro as a divorce present to myself. Some things are more important than arguing about a metal detector. Present wife has put up with my hobby for over 20 years, life is good.

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a Mrs. RJGMC. I work way too many weeks (not days) without a day off. I make respectable money, she manages the money I bring home She manages the money she brings home. It all goes into the account, on account of the house insurance, property taxes, car insurance, electric bill, gas bill, cell phone bill, cable bill, water bill and of course the big one. Daughters college tuition. Just a little more than her senior year to go on that one. In state tuition, hell no. Pennsylvania no less. She works hard, gets good grades, has a job at the university for her expense money.

So, I save my allowance, when a deal pops up, I grab it. The last detector I sold paid for the previous 2. I stole it fair and square off of craigslist. Sometimes you have to hunt for the good stuff. Loving wife just got back from a 22 day trip to Europe to visit daughter while she does her one semester abroad in Ireland. Do I complain, nope. Wife askes for very little and takes very good care of all our income. That is the only reason the house was paid off years early. I bring home all I can so I can retire as soon as possible.

Yes, it is polite to keep her in the loop. But sometimes the opportunity for a deal only lasts, lets say, less than 30 minutes. I am usually 90 percent certain I can make a profit or I don't pick it up. The last pair I bought were a Tesoro De Leon and a Cibola for less than the cost of the Cibola. Time to buy it!

Good luck with your new detector.

RJGMC
HI BOB!

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT All Pro,Fisher F-19,Blistool V-5,Sovereign XS
Just do like they do.Hang it in the garage and when she notices it just say "This old thing,I've had that for years"!

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem here. If I get her another one first then she's ok with another one for myself.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I swing 1 detector, wouldn't think of swinging another. Good luck with the next purchase as new detectors are always fun. Remember you can only swing one detector at a time.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife stop complaining when I started giving her diamond rings I found. While hunting.....

I currently own 5 detectors, 2 custom excals, an etrac, a sovereign gt all Minelabs and a Fisher 1235x. I only bought the Soviet GT new, the rest were all used.

I have sold 6 others over last 8 years that I bought and played with to learn, by buying used I never lost any of my investments as most of the depreciation was already lost when I bought them...

My wife saw this. She learned the money spent on my detectors was not lost, just invested in a different way, unlike her shoes and purses. LOL.

We will NOT go quitely into the night!

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In comparison to most hobbies the price tag isn't to bad and most others have zero return

Last edited:

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Mark II - AT Pro - Garrett 580 PP.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just buy it and say SURPRISE! Now we can hunt together, and if she gives you that look put on your puppy dog face and say.. "I just thought we could spend more time together".
If she still has the "what ever look" you then put your head down and say "okay I'll return it but I really thought you would be exited". Guaranteed you'll get a hug at that point and she might use it once in the back yard... toss a few quarters out there to find for bonus points.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just buy it and say SURPRISE! Now we can hunt together, and if she gives you that look put on your puppy dog face and say.. "I just thought we could spend more time together".
If she still has the "what ever look" you then put your head down and say "okay I'll return it but I really thought you would be exited". Guaranteed you'll get a hug at that point and she might use it once in the back yard... toss a few quarters out there to find for bonus points.

Problem there is she could buy 2 $500 purses and say "surprise, we wave matching purses"..:o

We will NOT go quitely into the night!

msviking

Feb 13, 2013
Flowood, Mississippi & Orange Beach, AL
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Minelab CTX3030
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Other
I quit asking for permission years ago, I find the forgiveness is far easier to obtain than permission. Having said that I would only spend money that I could truly afford to spend without putty any burden on the rest of the family.

OP
OP

73dguard

Mar 2, 2013
South Paris, ME
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD
Nokta Gold King
Teknetics AlphA 2000
Garrett Pointer Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I am hoping for a Garrett AT pro, I already have a deep seeker. My wife wants me to say " She backs me up no matter what" :love4:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions