Historical Artical, British Soldier at Waterloo

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm posting this link, because I think most of the people on this forum will find this article interesting, I know I did. I do have a couple of problems with it though. The lead ball doesn't show as much patina as I would think it should. The head is missing because a dozer crushed it while grading a parking lot. There is also a fresh break of his left knee, and where are the bones to that foot, and also what happened to the ribs opposite the ball, they seem to be missing. I wonder if that was damage from the tractor before the archies got there, or perhaps he was hurt worse than meets the eye, perhaps also hit by cannon fire causing the missing foot. Anyhow, there is wood preserved in the grave, so perhaps that accounts for the lack of heavy patina on the lead. I would think the ball would be a bit deformed, but after saying that, we don't know what the conditions were, perhaps the ball was near terminal velocity when he was hit. He might have been hit by cannon fire, and the ball was a cartridge in one of his pockets, ending up between his ribs with the paper and powder now gone. Room for lots of speculation.

Rare intact skeleton of 'British' soldier found on site of Waterloo battlefield with musket ball that felled him still between his ribs | Mail Online

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The ball looks in to good a shape to have been the killer,he could of been done in by a cavalry lancer or sword,or by bayonet.Just hitting a sand pile balls deform.The writer of the article is sadly misinformed on the casualties though,9500:icon_scratch:No way.Good post Bosn:icon_thumleft:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it interesting that the location carries more weight in suggesting where he could be from than the French coin in his pocket.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread