XLT or M6

O

Ontario_BH

I need help making a decision and there are alot of experienced detectorists here. I am stuck between the Whites XLT and the M6. Both are used detectors, the Spectrum XLT will be cheaper in price. Any opinion offered will help me out immensely. Thank you all in advance, I love this forum!

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
I would go for the XLT if it was my choice...Depending on the condition of course. It may have a little more of a learning curve, but there are turn on and go programs just like offered on the M6. Once you learn the machine, you can always make adjustments with the XLT and even get more out of the machine, The M6 you can not. Just my 2 cents ;D

Either way, both are great machines backed by excellent customer service.

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Whether you choose the XLT or M6, you will be getting quality. The XLT has more learning curve, the M6 is much more basic and a super coin detector.

I've been debating between the MXT or M6; being one who prefers more turn on and go simplicity, I'll probably go with an M6.

More experienced White's users can probably give better opinions. Mine is as a prospective buyer, not White's user; yet!!!!

Dick

C

Clam Digga

What does the M6 do when detecting a coin that makes it superior over a Whites XLT ? Can you tune out pull tabs and bottle caps with the M6 ? Does the M6 tune out Iron? Thats a biggie for me.

I'm looking for a machine as well.

dr-quest

Feb 25, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold, Whites XLT,Tesoro Stingray ll,Whites Surfmaster ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The XLT is by far the best machine I have ever used.The ability to make your own programs to suit your hunting styles and location is awsome.Its simple with presets but gives you unlimited growth with tone IDs and all the program options.Time to learn the extra programing is a great way to pass the winter up here.Theres nothing I dislike about this detector.
Good hunting

C

Clam Digga

How do the Whites XLT and the Whites 6000 di compare in difficulty of use? And in Quality ?

I had the 6000 di back then but I also had a much younger brain back then that could process information much more accurately.

I have the "It's Hard to Teach an Old Dog New Tricks" syndrome.

KenPa

Apr 7, 2006
Easton, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I've been using the XLT for about 5 years. If you use the preset programs you don't have to teach an old dog new tricks just set it and go. Like any other machine you have to get used to it. The XLT has the option of letting you create or use other programs as the M6 doesn't. There are alot of programs on the net that you can load and try. If you don't like them you can change and try others. My oppinion is you will have more flexibility with an XLT than the M6 but they are both great detectors. I would go with the XLT but thats just my oppinion and because I have 2 I may be a little bias towards it. Good Luck
Ken

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
my xlt is about 12 years old and still going strong.even though audio is most important (in my opinion) the xlt,s
signagraph is a helpful tool in a t.i.d. machine.

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
The XLT is programable for different conditions. The M6 is mostly a coin hunter machine.

I have the M6 and I like it.My last hunt with it was last week.
See my post Today at the park--Clad AND silver. It is in the Today's Finds section.

Dimeman

Bill(de)

Feb 18, 2005
As the others said the XLT is more versatile due to the programming and is excellent for hunting in mineralized ground. The XLT requires a moderate to quick swing speed to achieve max depth and has a slower target reset recovery speed and is great for hunting large sites and areas with low to moderate trash but suffers from target masking once the trash gets too heavy. The XLT is my overall favorite detector but has it's limitations as every detector does. The XLT seems a little more prone to electrical interference than the M6. Great on coins,larger jewelry and seen some nice Relic collections posted from guy's using the XLT.

I've had an M6 since Sept 06 and really having fun with it before winter set in ::),especially at all the older trashy sites i gave up on with the XLT. The M6 has a very quick reset recovery speed and really checks off and resets quickly between targets and combined with a small coil and 7 tone id using "0" disc setting has unmasked a lot of good targets. I now prefer the M6 over the IDX Pro in modern trash but for mostly iron contamination the IDX is the one. The M6 will hit strong on lower conductive metals including (foil) and small jewelry pieces the XLT misses, but still very good on higher coins.

Either one is great just depends on where and what your looking for to gain the advantage with either. Just my opinion of course. HH Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread