Looking at buying a Garrett AT pro. Any advice?

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own and use the AT pro along with others. I would take a very close look at Fisher and Whites in the same price range. The two main things about the Garrett is that there is no volume control and the position of the screen when it is on your arm is at an angle that makes reading the screen very difficult without cocking your head down to see. The Whites MXT seems to have all the same features as the Garrett plus more and is cheaper. The volume is important on windy days and when you are in areas where traffic noise is loud. I definitely do not like head phones. Good luck on your choice
I've been detecting for 40 years and used all types of detectors. The At Pro is by far the best. Start out in the standard mode, coins mid sensitivity and work your way up. It's a very reliable and sensitive machine as you learn and increase your settings you will really appreciate the machine. If you buy an At Pro they come with headphones that have a volume control. Using is a set of head phones is a MUST for the At Pro since it relies heavily on the tones and rolls to differentiate between good and bad targets. If you start out in the pro mode I think it will have too many different things going on for a beginner. Good luck hope this helps

webatch

Nov 4, 2012
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X-80
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello

First let me say ~ I have to question your sanity... "You actually want to jump out of perfectly good airplanes?" "Want2SkyDive" beyond that your reasoning seems sound.

I started with the ACE 350 and it is a good all around machine for beginners. I soon found myself wanting the AT Pro because I was adventuring to near the water and have been very concerned about damaging my detector. I have heard the horror stories of those who have been less careful. I wish I had started with the AT Pro. I have also let several rain showers chase me back to cover fearing for my detectors safety.

OP
OP
want2skydive

want2skydive

Jan 12, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
webatch there is no such thing as a perfectly good airplane. And there is nothing better than letting go and finding out what its like to fly. I will be ordering my ATpro on payday. Do you still pay taxes if you order online from another state?

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As long as the place you order from is out of Texas, than you don't have to pay taxes. If in Texas than you pay taxes.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hello there
I've got the ATP and they are a very good machine. It will take a while to learn the machine especially the Pin Point but if this is your choice just take your time and read the manual from front to back 5 times. If you like the parks and play grounds to detect, later on you might want to buy the 5X8 or the sniper coil(refer to detector sites for the coils). I've also got the Fisher F75 which is also a good machine as well as a lot of others out there for sale. The facts are, if you like the sport, you will buy other machines as time goes buy. Good luck

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the response want2skydive! Be careful in the fields and sky.
Merry Christmas! Peace

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread