newcomer advice

jerrym663

Greenie
Nov 24, 2013
Victoria BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I am new to the hobbie, and just recently purchased a bounty hunter commando, which I have been told is the same as a tracker iv. I have the standard coil that comes with the machine. I usuall alternate between the tone disc setting, and the coin setting. I have been out many times to many locations. I have found a great deal of modern pennies, a few modern quarters nickels and dimes, a button, and some general junk. I am hoping to find coins with some age, or jewelery, or general historical items. I am wondering if I am expecting too much from the machine I have, or should I get the larger coil or the smaller coil, or just wait and get a better machine. I am also wondering if the ace 250 is an upgrade from this machine, or on par? I still really enjoy detecting with this machine, and am happy with the fact that I still manage to come home from every hunt with at least a dollar or so of modern coins, just hoping for more. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett GTA350, minelab e-trac, minelab Excalibur II, minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I could go in to a long winded reply.....
but it's pretty simple...
you have to go where the old stuff has been lost to find old stuff....
research is your friend.
say you have 2 parks one built in 1850 and the other built 1970. which park do you think you are going to find older stuff at?
rings at park are a little different, go where people are at the parks. places people throw things, get stuff out of their pockets, picnic...
or go where people swim...
as far as an upgrade, I would say use what you have till you figure out it is that you want then go looking for a machine that will give you that....
Bob

OP
OP
J

jerrym663

Greenie
Nov 24, 2013
Victoria BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I have been going to the oldest schoolyards in my area (1860's-1890's), and I go to the local beaches, and parks for the modern stuff. I am constantly doing research into old areas where I can hunt, I am just basically wondering if I am expecting too much from the machine i have, or if I should bother spending the money on other coils or a new machine. Thank you for your reply

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hello and welcome. Also go to the library in the area where you are interested in hunting. I know one site I hunt they had old pictures of where Horses were hitched and today that area hasn't changed that much except for the "No horse parking sign." But for sure A good library is a shortcut to success. And one more tip. Don't be afraid to ask the older folks about the schools and old parks that are gone today. Good luck.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as you know your detector's reactions to different metals well, you just have to get your coil over the old stuff. Also make sure you slow down and listen for those whisper signals that are deep because that's usually where the old stuff is. HH!

OP
OP
J

jerrym663

Greenie
Nov 24, 2013
Victoria BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm starting to be able to distiguish between nickels and dimes. Pennies come across loud and clear. I'm still kinda unclear about how to use the disc dial on the detector. I have only used the settings in the manual ie: for jewelery set in tone mode with disc set to about 12:00, and for coins set to disc mode with disc at 3:00, and mainly set for jewelery because I still get coins with this setting.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you need to turn the disc down more and start digging more trash and jewelry will come. Try getting permission from family, coworkers or freinds with private property that maybe has not been hunted. Most public land has been hit fairly hard, still stuff to be found but once you find a yard that has not been hit you should find some old stuff.

OP
OP
J

jerrym663

Greenie
Nov 24, 2013
Victoria BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you I will for sure try that. So if I turn the disc down, more trash will signal, but also more jewelry and the like?

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold rings will give signals from foil to the same as a zinc penny depending on size and gold content. Nobody digs gold rinds with out digging trash. Good luck.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know it frustrating digging pulltabs and hairpins by the handfuls but thats where you will find the gold....also many times the parks you mentioned have been detected countless times by others using coin mode. try getting into the fringes of the parks where others avoid while detecting...if you have a place such as a sandlot or beach that is replenished on a regular basis; clean it out real good, get all the trash out so you won't have to mess with it time and again...look at some historic topos of the area to locate old homesites and go the the library or historical society and look at some old newspapers to see where outdoor functions such as carnivals or revivals were held...before air conditioning receptions, banquets, weddings, etc.. were held outside and don't forget about the homecomings at the churches, they were usually held beneath an outside shed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread