CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. Last night I was examining a recent find. A 1964 Washington quarter. No big deal. Then I began to think more about the date itself. This forthcoming year will be the 50th since we Americans, have circulated Silver coinage!? 50!!!
In that amount of time, one would think, most lost/dropped Silver coins have been found. Yet they regularly show up? Why is this?
I grant that metal detectors have Greatly Improved with technology and will continue to do so. But, there's a finite number of Silver coins, relics, etc., to be discovered. Will we or our grandkids shutdown Metal Detecting? I don't see this as a viable hobby/sport in 2114!? I have never found a US coin below 10 inches, except on farm land. Those are few!
Will our US clad coins be desirable in the next 50yrs? Lets hope so!
Peace

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point KID Sometimes we loose the concept of just how long ago something was until we stop and think about it --- Then we think WOW that was long ago Consider JKF 50 years , Landing on the Moon 40 plus years Really makes you feel old Clad ? I don't see any value

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well , I know it's getting harder to access sites where you stand a chance of detecting silver - but there are a number
of members here who regularly find coins , jewelry ,and artifacts - that are hundreds of years old , so an additional
century is no big deal ! Here in the U.S. we are going to have to be a bit more creative in how and where we search.

Last edited:

bofusmosby

Apr 28, 2011
Tampa Florida
Detector(s) used
Many many different ones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember when I got my first metal detector (1970), and silver was EVERYWHERE! Go to the park, and you find more silver than clad. Those were the days. Like Argentium alluded to, you just hve to be more creative. When I ws a kid growing up, I had 3 older brothers. My house and yard was like the neighborhood playground. There were always kids playing in our yard. Most neighborhoods were like this. I remember when I started detecting my own yard (1970), I found over 300 coins, 36 of them silver, and I also found my first gold ring. Most yards to this day are for the most part, untouched! If it is silver you are looking for, then you might want to concentrate here. I myself would rather hunt for hours, only to find just one or two really nice old coins or artifacts. I guess I'm a bit spoiled.

As far as clad coinage being valuable, well, not really unless you want to use it to pay some tolls. At least not in our lifetime. The more modern coins that will be of value will be the older memorial pennies that are made of copper. Also, don't forget to same any and all lead that you find. This sells by the pound,, and it doesn't take a lot to add up to some weight. I try to keep all the metals and keep it all together according to what metal it is. Well, I must admit, I just can't find myself collecting the pop tops or cans yet......

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If we ALL put our pop tops together we could probably corner the aluminum market! Lol! I can't see today's clad lasting as long as the old copper and silver coins, already the zincs are disintegrating in the ground as we speak!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've posted several times here and elsewhere when someone is crying the lack of silver, consider how long it's been. Sure there will be the odd coin here and there and the really lucky may hit a previously missed bonanza, but the sad fact is, Silver coinage isn't being lost anymore.
luvsdux

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks bofusmosby! You mentioned lead. Did you happen to read the recent thread entitled "Low Alpha Lead"? If not, please do so. I found it amazing... Peace

silverlining

Jun 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab etrac (currently used)
xterra 505 (10.5 DD 7.5 khz is currently used with it)
And 2 plasti-dipped pro-pointers
Primary Interest:
Other
There is still silver in circulation! I do not know if much is being dropped though.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks silverlining. When the remaining silver coins in circulation are found, it's usually by sound. Silver just has a better tone. Peace

Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I think nickles are the unappreciated stepchild of silver. Save your nickles. They are the only coin that has not been debased since their introduction in the 19th century. It often costs the mint more to make them than they're worth. That keeps going on long enough, they'll stop making them. I've seen the cost of the metal in a nickle reach as high as seven cents.
So when they are no longer minted, you'll see their value rise steeply.
I buy $100 boxes from the bank.
Current Melt Value Of Coins - How Much Is Your Coin Worth?

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info BabyNeedsANewPairO'Shoes!
I've also looked into your presented chart.
Unless one has the means to "hold" gold or silver, copper is the most lucrative option.
Thanks.
Peace

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread