Confusion in choosing best Diamond Pendant for my better half

jessca75

Greenie
Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and wanted to share with you people. I want to gift a diamond pendant necklace to my sister but I am in a state of dilemma what cut or what shape should I get, especially how much carat. If anyone could help me by giving sensible suggestions, I would really appreciate that. I am planning to gift her this Christmas. So please help me.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When one is discussing a diamond pendant ,the four C's are a major consideration - Carat , Color , Clarity , Cut -( to which a fifth C could be
added - Cost - ! ) the aforementioned 4 C's are actually the primary determinants in the Value/Cost of a given diamond . The metal work
(Gold or Platinum is more normal in conjunction with diamonds ) will obviously play a part in the cost associated with the pendant you are
thinking of purchasing . There are many here who could steer you toward how/ where to safely buy this pendant at the right price. I have
no knowledge to give you on that point , shop around a bit ! Cheers !!!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Youre better off just buying her,what you planned on spending,in gold.When the economy goes,gemstones are a luxury item and wont be worth spit,where as gold is a monetary item.Always worth something.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jess, and welcome!! You just need to go to a major jewelry store and look around. Problem with diamonds is that they are a superficial market and what you pay will be a lot more than it can ever be re-sold for. Your profile doesn't say where you're from, but there are some major chains that guarantee you or the recipient will get a similar price if it were to be sold in the future. Best to deal with a well known store.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gunsil , Thank You ! for making a very important point - "diamonds are a superficial market " I completely agree ! They are nowhere near as rare
as many other flawless precious stones (Emeralds , Rubies , Sapphires, and others) This is due to the fact that they are only released to the market
in very limited quantities . Every housewife in America has a white diamond , how many have a flawless emerald, ruby , or sapphire ?

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gunsil , Thank You ! for making a very important point - "diamonds are a superficial market " I completely agree ! They are nowhere near as rare
as many other flawless precious stones (Emeralds , Rubies , Sapphires, and others) This is due to the fact that they are only released to the market
in very limited quantities . Every housewife in America has a white diamond , how many have a flawless emerald, ruby , or sapphire ?

Quite right!! And if one sees a flawless ruby or sapphire there is a good chance they are synthetic, or at least treated for color. Now a flawless emerald is a really rare thing and seldom seen, except in the finest jewelry in the world. I really like tsavorite with it's almost emerald color and a high refractive index making it sparkle more than an emerald. But there is something about that deep green of quality emeralds with their relatively low refractive index that makes them look so deep deep deep!! Have you seen the largest American gem quality emerald crystal that was found a few years back in Georgia and sold by my friends at E.F. Watermelon in Old Lyme, CT?? Blew me away!! It maybe wasn't quite as dark a green as the finest Colombian emeralds, but a killer for sure.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jessca75,
Whatever diamond you purchase, don't do it in haste. Besides the "4 Cs" as mentioned above there are several other characteristics of a diamond that should be considered; namely finish, polish, symmetry and fluorescence-to name a few. And make sure you get a Certification with each stone. A cert from the Gemological Institute of America, Inc. has my vote for being the most reliable, accurate and worldly acceptable.
Don........

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard for many years that the top grade emeralds, and rubies, are more highly desired than white diamonds -(colored diamonds may be
a special case ) I wasn't aware of the world class emerald from Georgia . GIA certified sounds good to me too .

OP
OP
J

jessca75

Greenie
Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When one is discussing a diamond pendant ,the four C's are a major consideration - Carat , Color , Clarity , Cut -( to which a fifth C could be
added - Cost - ! ) the aforementioned 4 C's are actually the primary determinants in the Value/Cost of a given diamond . The metal work
(Gold or Platinum is more normal in conjunction with diamonds ) will obviously play a part in the cost associated with the pendant you are
thinking of purchasing . There are many here who could steer you toward how/ where to safely buy this pendant at the right price. I have
no knowledge to give you on that point , shop around a bit ! Cheers !!!

Ah! that's great piece of information. I really appreciate that. That's not a problem if you don't know where to buy but at least you provided me something valuable, what to take care of while buying it.

OP
OP
J

jessca75

Greenie
Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Youre better off just buying her,what you planned on spending,in gold.When the economy goes,gemstones are a luxury item and wont be worth spit,where as gold is a monetary item.Always worth something.

Well the main thing for me is that my sister loves diamonds and I ought to buy her a gift what she likes and wants. Pendants is something she has been craving for a long time and this Christmas I want it t o be special for her. You might be right on you're part that gold is a monetary thing but as of now I am not thinking of future. Thanks for the tip anyways.

OP
OP
J

jessca75

Greenie
Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jess, and welcome!! You just need to go to a major jewelry store and look around. Problem with diamonds is that they are a superficial market and what you pay will be a lot more than it can ever be re-sold for. Your profile doesn't say where you're from, but there are some major chains that guarantee you or the recipient will get a similar price if it were to be sold in the future. Best to deal with a well known store.

That's a great point you told and I totally agree with you. I have been looking around in the town for a while and I found Daras diamonds where I am planning to get the diamond pendants. They've got the policy of return, exchange for lifetime for the purchase you make. They've got a great collection but the one I particularly liked in pendants is this one.

RoundSolitairePendantWhite1-200x200.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jessca75

Greenie
Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jessca75,
Whatever diamond you purchase, don't do it in haste. Besides the "4 Cs" as mentioned above there are several other characteristics of a diamond that should be considered; namely finish, polish, symmetry and fluorescence-to name a few. And make sure you get a Certification with each stone. A cert from the Gemological Institute of America, Inc. has my vote for being the most reliable, accurate and worldly acceptable.
Don........

Yeah, I am not in a haste, I've still got plenty of days. After all my sister is almost like my better half to me. Therefore, whatever I am gonna gift it would be special and authentic. You mentioned about certification. Well, daras diamonds are BBB accredited and are approved by Shopwiki so they've got a good reputation in the market. I am not aware about Gemological Institute of America, but I'll try to find on the internet.

OP
OP
J

jessca75

Greenie
Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard for many years that the top grade emeralds, and rubies, are more highly desired than white diamonds -(colored diamonds may be
a special case ) I wasn't aware of the world class emerald from Georgia . GIA certified sounds good to me too .

Same here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread