Question for you folks...

FandHPhoto

Feb 13, 2007
Visalia Ca -Central Valley AKA The CROTCH of Calif
Detector(s) used
GARRET ACE 250
When your searching an area during the time your looking and folks walk by and ask you if you find anything... do you tell the truth?

I had to lol a lil when I was being asked this 2 weekends ago.. I kept telling folks I was only finding pull tabs... (granted I was not pulling up much found about 5.00 in clad that weekend) I just felt kinda like lying for some odd reason... and not letting on to folks there was stuff to be found there...

I cant be the only one who does this?

T

TreasureTales

Keep one pocket or pouch for trash and one for goodies. When asked, I pull out a handful of trash and kinda laugh, like that's all I"ve found. I'm not lying to them...I'm just not telling the entire story. Besides, it's really none of their business. I don't ask them how much money they made today.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always tell them "just junk" or "mostly bottletops and pulltabs" which for the most part is true.I never tell when I find something good,which isn't too often lately anyway.

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Or just pull out your pulltabs and bottlecaps and ask them "Is this any good???"

swingman

Feb 7, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab (2), Garrett (2), Whites (2)
I RARELY tell the complete truth re. my finds to passers-by. :-X ESPECIALLY if you've made a great find. Want to see your spot crawling with detectorists next time? :'( Or someone claiming to own what you've found? (Keep the choice in your hands, whether or not you want to find an owner.)
I will share all with a select few from my club, or a friend who doesn't detect. Mostly to all the rest, I say 'just a few coins'.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
It depends on how the question is asked:

Hey, buddy, what do you get with that thing?
I reply: A lot of exercise.

Hey, mister, watch u doing?
I reply: looking for buried treasure. ( Only use this one when you are ready to leave, because it turns you into the pied piper for little people)

Finding anything?
I reply: a few coins and lots of junk.

Replies I have not used but would like to:

Hey buddy, what are you doing ( at the beach)
I reply: just clearing out the rest of the land mines.

Find anyhing good?
Just that old pirate chest, but we hauled it away about an hour ago, sorry you misse it.

Happy Hunting

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
It depends on where I am and what the circumstances are. If I am in a place where I have exclusive permission (my in-laws for example), I'll show some of the better pieces; it has opened up other venues for me. I'll downplay other places, but I won't lie. I'm always happy to show something to the extent it works to my advantage; nobody in my audience has hundreds invested in my detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread