differance btwn metal detectors

fantum

Feb 23, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
ace 250
I am new to metal detecting & thinking about buying an ace 250 as I've already read from ya'll is a great starter detector. I don't understand all of the description in ads I'm so new to this... Does it have where it shows what youre' digging for? an actual picture or outline of item? would it be better to get the GTAx 550 Coin Discrimination with Visual Target ID now if I can afford it? do they both have that? I would really like something that shows what the target is & goes as deep as possible. Is the coil size just for how big of an area it sweeps at once? any info anyone can give me would be most appreciated.

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
Yes, the ACE is a great starter. However, my starter was a Bounty Hunter - with 3 tones that just told you what type of metal was in the ground. Once I used it for 2 months I decided that I REALLY love to MD and got the ACE.

Basically there are indicators that show a bottlecap, penny, nickel, pull tab, quarter etc. When the MD gets a signal, an arrow points to the type of item in the ground. However, just because is says a nickel - does not mean it really is! The quarter and dime signals are almost always correct though. Then the indicator on the side shows how deep the object is.

The coil actually detects outside of the ring a bit, but as you move it around you zero in on the object. One of the great features of the ACE is the pinpoint mode. When you get a signal, you push and hold the pinpoint button as you swing over the target. The tone stays steady and is loudest when it is directly over the object - a very cool feature.

I am pretty sure there are MD out there that give you a visual of the object in the ground, but I think they are top dollar. Not sure that you would want to start with some super fancy machine just so you get a visual. I understand those machines are pretty technical to operate. As you use the MD you learn the types of tones and you have a decent idea of what is in the ground. If you are just trying to avoid digging trash.... well, digging trash is a BIG part of MDing.

I am just a newbie myself, but from what I have read here - most of the good stuff is all within the 6-8" that most MD's go. I personally think the ACE is a fantastic machine - with lots of bells and whistles that you find on the real fancy models. Many of the people here use it. I think the term 'starter MD' can be a term for a cheaper model, but that is not true for the ACE - it is just a great machine that people start with and stick with!

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
There really is no machine out there that can tell you whats in the ground before you dig it up! That being said, there are machines that will give you a best guess based on the compisition of the metal target below the coil. Example: Just the other day I dug up a 12" round frying pan...My $1100 detector with a $250 coil told me it was a dime based off what the metal was. I knew it wasn't a coin before I dug it up based on the size of the target, but my machine told me it was a dime. Listening to the machines tones, time, and practice is the best "smart machine"!

Good questions, make sure you get them all asked before you make your purchase!

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
Hi fantum :) A lot of good info from Stacylee and Stormtrooper. Just to add to what they said .... The GTAx550 is a little bit better than the Ace250 and pinpoints a little easier. You will get a bit more depth and with the new PROformance 7x10 eliptical coil it is even deeper than before. It has the same type of target ID indicator but is a bit more versatile. If you cannot afford a 550 the Ace250 is a great way to go for your first. Please let meknow if I can help you with anything.
TonyinCT
www.tcmetaldetectors.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread