Billy the Kid photo

cherrypicked

May 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I haven't technically found it however I received a call from my mother's building that she recently moved out of. Her and my grandmother lived together but my grandmother recently passed away and my mother decided to move closer to me. Apparently they had left two big bags of photos in a storage locker. It doesn't surprise me because my mother has left thousands of dollars in antiques and heirlooms over the years in random places she has lived. She just doesn't hold on to things and doesn't think to give them to anyone who may want them.

Anyway, my great great grandfather was supposedly an optometrist AND gunsmith. We have pictures of him and my mother used to have his equipment from both professions although I'm sure it's long gone. The neat thing is, supposedly he was Billy the Kid's gunsmith and there's said to be one other picture floating around in the family of Billy. This seems highly unlikely because everyone knows he didn't have his picture taken with the exception of the one famous one that's always used. I'm not saying he wasn't his gunsmith but it seems likely this is a family legend that's been passed down through the generations.

According to the property owner they date back to the 1800s through the early 1900s so the timing would be correct. I'm sure it's not in there but I'm excited to go through them. They should be here tomorrow.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just never know? That sure be cool if you came up with an unknown photo of the Kid. Hope it pans out for ya!

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey cherrypicked!! That would truly be a Great Christmas Gift!! Wishing You the Best!! Merry Christmas and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

OP
OP
cherrypicked

cherrypicked

May 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would definitely be an exciting find but I'm not getting my hopes up. I am excited to see the pictures and the frames though. Those by themselves will probably be neat.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im hopeing the best for ya cherrypicked,just do not live your life like he did.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well , While it may be unlikely - it is possible for there to be a few more photo's out there of "the Kid " As previously mentioned another
picture has recently been authenticated of Billy (last Summer), which was in possession of Pat Garrett's relatives . Perhaps equally
important , there may well be some fascinating photo's of your own family history / ancestors - this is real treasure !

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
And remember, those photos and frames are worth money. Also it may indeed be that your relative was familiar with the kid and sold/worked on his weapons. It is exciting, so good luck...

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I certainly hope you find a picture of Billy. There are so many stories told about him that it just boggles the mind. I used to go out to Hico, Texas to work on the gasoline pumps at some of the convenience stores out there. There are numerous stories around there! No, I have no idea whether they have any truth of not. A lot of people out there sure like to believe some of them are true! Lots of luck and keep us posted!

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
there is a story, quietly passed among historians on the subject...that billy was not hunted down and killed because of his nefarious deeds rustling cattle or killing men...in this he was no worse than other people walking openly in the streets of new mexico or tejas at the time...
what billy did was have a great fondness for married, catholic, Spanish speaking ladies...everywhere billy traveled...he had some fine senorita to hold his hand...
it is to be noted he was shot by pat garret, (if one believes that tale) in the bedroom of a married woman.
interesting how no one would admit to this at the time...to embarrassing for all those married men,I imagine.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please share any of the old pictures and keep us updated.

OP
OP
cherrypicked

cherrypicked

May 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an interesting story. Got the pictures today and they are just a tad too late. Most look like they were taken between 1900-1917. Still interesting since some have them have the names and dates. One of them is a sculpted photo which is interesting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread