Tenderfoot
Dec 16, 2013
Aguanga
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Guys!
I've always been fascinated by metal detecting and yesterday I was gifted with a White's Coinmaster :icon_thumleft:
I had a metal detector as a child ( loved the idea of coin collecting ) but nothing like this one. I was super excited to try it out, set it up and go find some things!

Unfortunately, I'm not really getting the hang of things and the more tips I can get the better :)

I find that it tends to beep almost every 5 seconds and it only ever points at the nail symbol. If it DOES point to another (coin, ring, 50c, 25c) it switches RIGHT back. I read a few articles and went online to learn more, but I think a forum like this is going to help me more than that will. Does it maybe have something to do with the sensitivity settings?

Anyone else familiar with this detector? I read somewhere that this is just something you have to practice with over and over and learn to read the signs correctly, but again, I'm not sure :)

Anyway, I'm happy to be on the forums and hopefully I start finding some cool stuff! :icon_flower:

KennyD

Apr 25, 2013
Belleville, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3, Tesoro Vaquero, Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome aboard captain! I'm not familiar with the coin master, but I know it's a very good machine. Check batteries, coil wire connection, and try lowering the sensitivity.

Lab Rat Pappy

Greenie
Apr 6, 2013
Pa
Detector(s) used
DFX, Goldmaster V-SAT,Coinmaster,BH Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captain. The Coinmaster is a very good machine and will find a lot of good finds. Watch the sensitivity settings as well as the discrimination settings. A good way to practice is to take a pull tab, penny, nickle, dime, quarter and a nail and put them on the ground and run your coil over them to see how they sound. You need to run the coil over the area before you do this to make sure that there are no metal objects in the area. Then try to scan those objects to learn how your detector responds and sounds as you try different sweep speeds to see which speed gives you the most consistent response. Also check to make sure that you do not have the pinpoint function activated. Most of all practice, practice, practice and you will have more success as you learn your machine. Patience grasshopper you will get better. HH Steve

OP
OP
C

captaincatie

Tenderfoot
Dec 16, 2013
Aguanga
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Captain. The Coinmaster is a very good machine and will find a lot of good finds. Watch the sensitivity settings as well as the discrimination settings. A good way to practice is to take a pull tab, penny, nickle, dime, quarter and a nail and put them on the ground and run your coil over them to see how they sound. You need to run the coil over the area before you do this to make sure that there are no metal objects in the area. Then try to scan those objects to learn how your detector responds and sounds as you try different sweep speeds to see which speed gives you the most consistent response. Also check to make sure that you do not have the pinpoint function activated. Most of all practice, practice, practice and you will have more success as you learn your machine. Patience grasshopper you will get better. HH Steve

Thanks for the tip on lowering the sensitivity and trying different sweep speeds. Was able to accurately find a buried bottlecap and beer can. Nothing exciting but still cool to see I'm getting the hang of it :)

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! Glad you are getting the kinks out! Once the detector is ground balanced practice is the key, AKA- dig & learn.

GL & HH!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome Catie,Whites are good machines and it takes time to learn but the first step is digging things up and learning the different variances in your machine through trial and error and reading too.Sounds like you've got the fever already!

JUNKER

Apr 7, 2012
SW FL,Copper Hill VA,Temple ME
Detector(s) used
XLT GrandmastercxIII Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Catie, Just keep practicing you will get the hang of it. Sometimes if you search whites coinmaster you might find video's on it. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread