In 1 year it will be 50 years since the US minted silver coins for public circulation

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That most likely means many if not most of the forum members here never experienced silver change in their pockets as an every day occurrence. It means that 49 years of trash has been littered atop coins lost in 1964 making it far more difficult to find those 'silvers' than when I started this hobby in the 60's. I can safely say that in the 60's or even 70's there were far less trash because there wasn't a lot of metal wrapping our food then. Bottle caps and gum wrappers was pretty much it. Pull tabs were just beginning to appear. The silver is still there. Not as easy to get now but it's still there hiding under our refuse.

i

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup…….and it is sad to see how our currency has been debased……..look at what a dollar would buy in 1964 or 1971 and now…….
Yup, the criminals in DC screwing we the people and rewarding the bankers……..the Fed Reserve, a private bank creating and lending the gov money at interest……the Fed Reserve Notes…….notes are a debt instrument and not true money…….

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably the biggest reason silver coins are fewer, deeper and found less often.
luvsdux

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice thread foiler! Even considering 49yrs of trash since silver coin circulation, it's amazing how much silver still pops outta the ground!? True, not every hunt, but I would bet most knowledgable "coin shooters" find silver 50% of the time.
Also, it is a shame to view new US coinage, after a few months in ground. Shield cents turn to waste? What will our grandkids do when zinc is $1200 per oz!? ;)
Happy Holidays. Peace

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid Liberty Walking Halves were common finds in change, I was just too poor to save very many of them. I did save most of the dated Standing Liberty Quarters that I came across and Buffalo Nickels were a common find in change. I wish I knew then what I know now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread