Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes I browse Craigslist for people selling used detectors.

Every now and then I find listings for people asking for land to hunt on. This one just cracks me up:

I just got a metal detector a few months ago and really want to learn how to use it more. Its illegal to metal detect on Federal, State, or County land..... If you have a house the was built pre 1960's, or some land that has some history and would let me search it, we could share what I find before it rots and disintegrates into the Earth.

"before it rots and disintegrates into the Earth" - That just slays me!!

haha

Carry on!

GL & HH
Brad

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol...Thats greatness.....Whats funny is I acutally thought of posting somethign similair to gain permission...But my luck it will be out in the woods where theres no cell phone service..and the thoughts of the movie Delverance running thru my head

OP
OP
DFW_THer

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lol...Thats greatness.....Whats funny is I acutally thought of posting somethign similair to gain permission...But my luck it will be out in the woods where theres no cell phone service..and the thoughts of the movie Delverance running thru my head

I did it years ago. Got on a 1930's house in Ft. Worth. Found some interesting belt buckles and some wheaties. Word of mouth / friends / colleagues are always the best bet for private property permission. (PPP) :)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
ha

....Its illegal to metal detect on Federal, State, or County land.....

haha, that's funny that he's under that belief. If that were true, then gee, I'm guessing just about everyone on this forum, who detects anywhere on public land, is somehow doing something illegal? And the sad part is though, that newbies like that will float this nonsense, that other newbies see and read. Then those skittish newbies go to "clarify" this information , and sure enough, net themselves a "no", which seems to perpetuate the statement. Ie.: the no one cared till you asked routine.

OP
OP
DFW_THer

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good angle Tom. You're so right. Give a rent-a-cop an opportunity to say no, and he will.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We can thank these awful tv shows for clowns like that owning detectors. He's probably out there digging with a big spade shovel too. Lol

OP
OP
DFW_THer

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We can thank these awful tv shows for clowns like that owning detectors. He's probably out there digging with a big spade shovel too. Lol

TRUTH! They are awful. Old news. Go caps!!!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys...can I play Devils Advocate? Perhaps he is an experienced MD'er, and is playing on the public that might believe stuff will rot and go away. It seems to me that "this so crazy, it might just work"....

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why wouldn't he just go up to the house he wants to search and ask? Newbie may not have the confidence to ask. Just odd to think John Q. Public would beat a path to his door so he can find all the goodies to share. Hope they can divide the pop tops and can slaw evenly!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey Jack, I've found a lot of rusty gold

Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a great approach. We need every tool at our disposal to promote our own success and a good public perception of what we do. Bravo.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread