OK--first question...

Jeff G

Nov 5, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic II
OK, metal detector is on the way(ebay purchase). I have made a 12" brass rod probe and a 10" brass coin flipper. I also modified a potting trowel, sharpened the sides and added some notches to cut sod.

I also have a small canvas tool pouch, everything fits on it nicely. What else should I outfit myself with. I don't want to get out and find I am lacking a piece of equipment I need.

What do you find indespensable???????

Jeff

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Don't forget extra batteries!!!!!!

I always take spare stuff... and it sounds like your getting off on the right foot. Your ground conditions will dictate what kind of digging gear you'll need...

Welcome to treasurenet!

Did I tell you yet to remember extra batteries?!

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you need to look at getting a pin pointer and maybe a small coil.

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Welcome to T-net! ;D

I agree with what has been mentioned before...Batteries, Pinpointer, and a small coil if hunting trashy sites.

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
knee pads cell phone small prescription container for finds ear phone back up happy hunting ;D ;D ;D ;D

OP
OP
Jeff G

Jeff G

Nov 5, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic II
Pinpointer---that will have to wait a while, limited budget.....

Knee pads I have, cell phone--always. Extra batteries---great, will put them in the truck. Small container--I'll stick an old pill bottle in the pouch.

I am working on the small coil. It's an older White's so I have to take what I can find. There are a couple on Ebay I am watching.

tcfeet

Greenie
Feb 24, 2007
OK,
Don't forget the sardines and crackers, plenty water and
most of all, toilet paper...
Good luck,
tcfeet

T

TreasureTales

A small first aid kit and a pair of leather work gloves. Too much broken glass, hypodermic needles, and other stuff in the soil these days to go anywhere with out these things.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
TreasureTales said:
A small first aid kit and a pair of leather work gloves. Too much broken glass, hypodermic needles, and other stuff in the soil these days to go anywhere with out these things.

Dang... good gloves is the best thing mentioned...

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Don't forget an avatar, if you're on TN, you're gonna need an avatar.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use Well Lamont rubberized (nitrile) gloves. Don't get "mushy" like leather does in damp soil.

Headphones, shovels, knee pads, pinpointer, spare batteries (NiMH or NiCad tray), good find pouch, canteen, 10X Loupe, Lesche #85 digging tool, 3 gallon pail to keep in your trunk for all the trash (be sure to show it when asking if you can detect at parks), sunglasses, sunscreen, Badger Bug Balm, a Red Book (or similar) of coin values & photos, a bricklayer's hammer (same as a chisel headed rock hammer but 1/2 the price because it's not "campy" like a fossil or rockhound hammer), a rock tumbler & aquarium gravel for cleaning clad (keeps the banks happy), books, magazines, forum memberships.

Attachments

• IM000843s.JPG
    IM000843s.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 468
  • IM000843s.JPG
    IM000843s.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 440

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
buy yourself a GOOD digging tool!!! You will soon enough break 3 or 4 wal mart garden trowels and understand what I am saying. THE WORST EXPERIENCE in the world is to be in the middle of a good hund and break your only diging tool. Invest the money in a good one. Many of my hunts I only take the detector and the digging tool plus xtra battery pack.

T

TreasureTales

A camera so you can document your finds and the site. We like lots and lots of photos!!

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Lots of good suggestions already given.
I carry a two pocket apron, one pocket for goodies, one for junk.
Gloves are good. Pinpointer. I use Vibra Probe, but whatever brand you decide on will be
a time saver benefit. Digging tool ( keep a spare one in the car, just in case) and probe. Ball cap. Water. Cell Phone.

It depends on where you will be hunting but also bring along, sunblock, bug repellent, first aid kit, snack/lunch, rain gear, sunglasses and always extra batteries. Clean handkerchief.

A few things the more serious MDer brings along:
Backhoe, jackhammer, C4, Detonating caps, firearms, flamethrower....................Oh, sorry, got carried away there.
Just kidding :D :D :D

Happy Hunting.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I feel like a neophyte.... all I take is my pouch, my Lesche, and a screwdriver. (pinpointer's in the shop) ;)

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
There is a big difference in what you NEED and what you COULD take... you should have learned a lot already from these posts.

Needs: Metal Detector & a diggin tool of some sort

Wants: Everything else up to and including the kitched sink to clean finds in the field!

You'll figure out real quick what your going to WANT once you wander further than your front yard. Did anyone mention the 5 gallon pail to haul the junk out in? I easily could haul 50 pounts of iron and steel from the sites I dig... just another example.

I'm confident that as you get into the field that your own list will become very specific.

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
I purchased a nice backpack,they make different types,some sit high on your back around your shoulders,which is what you want,the others you see kids wearing,they hang low,an put strain on you lowback.I PURCHASED A NORTH FACE,they sell them dicks sporting,but you can get backpack's at any sports store,I also purchased a gun sling that attaches with tie raps,or walmart sales a Velcro tie rap set of 12,that is great for securing the coil on the shaft,and like i said,also the gun strap and you can carry your detector over the shoulder.The gun strap can be adjusted around your neck,and with a bungee cord,attach to the detector shaft and balance the weight,off your arm,and those heavy detector's will swing back and forth,and you will be less tired,these are small ideals that will make you less tired,also i purchased a black 2 inch work belt,and purchased a hammer holder to carry my scoop or what ever.good luck. Ronald99 ??? ::)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know that anyone's mentioned a shovel... I use a WWII spade/pick. It is indestructable and also indespensable for those fields and wooded sites.

I agree with others about the small prescription bottle with the label removed. Stuff it with cotton balls and you'll have something for those silver coins and buttons so they don't get damaged while you're out.

1. shovel/spade
2. trowel/knife/digging tool
3. detector
4. extra batteries

*I always carry a plastic thin dollar store bathmat to put loose dirt on when in a yard. Also keeps the target from falling into the grass or back in the hole
*Old plastic pill bottle mentioned above

Other than that, you'll know if you need anything else after you get started. Try not to get bogged down with carrying dozens of items out there. After several hunts, if you find you aren't using something, leave it in the car. The items mentioned above are all I carry with me, and I only carry one digging tool with on each hunt. If it is a "yards" day, I take the knife. If it is a cow fields or wooded area, I take the spade. So travel light and you'll figure out what your efficiency is after several months with your machine. What is useful varies greatly from person to person. The above mentioned items 1-4 are essential. The rest is personal preference... Good luck!

Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions