dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a show on a few years ago that said the location has been dug so much they have no idea where the first shaft was anymore. I'm sure they will find nothing.

Follows Camp Craig

Dec 1, 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Team Keene Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It'll be like all if the other shows. They will find nothing!

I'm with you mangum, a bunch of hype.
I here they're going to get the guys from the sasquatch hunter show, bearing sea gold, Pawn Stars and
American Pickers.

Every attempt over the years apparently allows the shaft to fill in more and more.
If Great lakes dredge and dock are not involved, "I call B.S., right away".

Ha ha, I probably watch until the smell hits the screen.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will be on the History channel. It is a docu-series that will begin at 10pm on Jan.5, called "The Curse Of Oak Island."

I'll watch it... don't know for how long but i'll give it a shot. I think the history channel should be renamed the Fantasy Entertainment Network.

Follows Camp Craig

Dec 1, 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Team Keene Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last time I saw something on Oak Island was an episode "In Search Of" hosted by Leonard Nimoy.

I can't help but cringe on today's docudramas.

"Hollywood" handling of gold pans, seeded gold pans, exaggerated compensation.

I remember being featured on a local Los Angeles prospecting piece, on the day of filming, all sorts of characters showed up. some of these folks have never been seen
before "ever" on the east fork. We are talking 30 year every day of the week/ weekend veterans saying, "who the hell is that guy"

Yet, some managed a speaking part.

Nothing has changed in the industry.

(I will post the clip only if someone claims B.S.)

Last edited:

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
over the years they say a number of well healed celebrities have sunk much coin into trying to get to the bottom. I believe "the Duke" was one of them.
I'm sure it will make great tv fodder.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike Rowe,from "Dirty Jobs" is at the bottom ,pitching another show for the Discovery Channel.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with you mangum, a bunch of hype.
I here they're going to get the guys from the sasquatch hunter show, bearing sea gold, Pawn Stars and
American Pickers.

Every attempt over the years apparently allows the shaft to fill in more and more.
If Great lakes dredge and dock are not involved, "I call B.S., right away".

Ha ha, I probably watch until the smell hits the screen.

Wonder if they'll put a disclaimer at the end stating "all facts edited for entertainment purposes"...

Greysquirrel

Greenie
Oct 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The latest theory is that if they ever get to the bottom of the pit the will discover the Arc Of The Covenant. I think they may find John Gottie, Elvis and JFK living down there in luxury.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey, it's winter. what else ya got to do?

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been on Oak Island many times, I even have a chunk of wood from Borehole 10-X that I was able to salvage...I'll watch it just for fun!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will be of some interest to me .

"In Search of " was one of my favorite shows back when I was 13 years old , I likely still like it , just have not seen it in years.

So I loving today's Bigfoot, UFO, Ghost ,Paranormal type Shows , Don,t really care for Mediums and such tho.

Don't get me wrong .( I do not believe everything I see & hear on TV & elsewhere for that matter)..

Davers

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The big question is, is this the final curtain call for Oak Island? For many years I have read the story and seen the TV shows. The last one I watched, they drilled a hole parallel to the original, but for some reason they didn't use liners. The whole area around the estimated original pit collapsed. So the actual location of the original pit is not really known. But I am sure they can come up with it. lol Frank...
castle home.jpg The original tower over the pit.
PS: If you believe that, I have a bridge in brooklyn to sell to you cheap. lol

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

The big question is, is this the final curtain call for Oak Island?

Frankn, the answer to your question, is no. It's never over. Well, it might end the financial endeavors for awhile. But to stop the "faithful" from ever being convinced there ISN'T a certain treasure down there? Never. The only thing that lack of success shows the faithful is that ..... doh ...... it must be deeper! See how deeply the human mind wants to believe? Why do you think Tnet has all those subsections on the various legends and superstitious lore on the myriads of supposed treasures out there? Why do you think the goofy stories in all the old treasure magazines of the 1970s sold so many editions? It's the psychology we all have ingrained in us to believe "lest we be left out". And no amount of counter-evidence convinces them otherwise.

When I was hunting all over Mexico, I came to one village with my host. A certain boy in his young teens ...... who found out that some americans in town had metal detectors, came to me asking to go check a certain cave. I followed him out into the canyons near town, to a cave. It went in a certain short distance, and opened up into a room sized cavity. I turned on the detector, and heard nothing. Scanned the entire floor. Switched to all metal, still nothing. As I turned to tell him, I could tell he was in dis-belief. So I removed my headphone jack and let him hear for himself. He still couldn't believe it, and said that what we needed was a a) machine that goes deeper, and b) a machine that finds only gold. And thus he started asking about other type detectors made in america. He was convinced there was a treasure there, because he'd seen sparkles in the ground, or smoke coming from the hills, or had a vision, or some such nonsense.

I saw this same scenario, with different twists and tales, all over mexico. It was never that a treasure wasn't there, or that there 10th hand stories passed around for 5 generations wasn't iron-clad fact and true, it was always that the treasure was deeper.

So too is it with this oak island thing.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to give the Hispanics & Indians credit though. The youngsters listen to & remember what their elders taught & handed down to them. Compare that to American kids and they can't even pay attention enough to remember what happened last week, let alone have enough gumption to go out and look.

As long as there is someone who's willing to fund "The expedition" they'll keep trying. Either that or the swiss cheese island will cave in on it's self.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Frankn, the answer to your question, is no. It's never over. Well, it might end the financial endeavors for awhile. But to stop the "faithful" from ever being convinced there ISN'T a certain treasure down there? Never. The only thing that lack of success shows the faithful is that ..... doh ...... it must be deeper! See how deeply the human mind wants to believe? Why do you think Tnet has all those subsections on the various legends and superstitious lore on the myriads of supposed treasures out there? Why do you think the goofy stories in all the old treasure magazines of the 1970s sold so many editions? It's the psychology we all have ingrained in us to believe "lest we be left out". And no amount of counter-evidence convinces them otherwise.

When I was hunting all over Mexico, I came to one village with my host. A certain boy in his young teens ...... who found out that some americans in town had metal detectors, came to me asking to go check a certain cave. I followed him out into the canyons near town, to a cave. It went in a certain short distance, and opened up into a room sized cavity. I turned on the detector, and heard nothing. Scanned the entire floor. Switched to all metal, still nothing. As I turned to tell him, I could tell he was in dis-belief. So I removed my headphone jack and let him hear for himself. He still couldn't believe it, and said that what we needed was a a) machine that goes deeper, and b) a machine that finds only gold. And thus he started asking about other type detectors made in america. He was convinced there was a treasure there, because he'd seen sparkles in the ground, or smoke coming from the hills, or had a vision, or some such nonsense.

I saw this same scenario, with different twists and tales, all over mexico. It was never that a treasure wasn't there, or that there 10th hand stories passed around for 5 generations wasn't iron-clad fact and true, it was always that the treasure was deeper.

So too is it with this oak island thing.

So Tom, what you are saying is that it is never over till it is over as we use to say! lol
I just happen to see some photos of what I think is the original dig. They were using iron well liners as they dug. This makes me wonder! How could they loose the original pit with all that iron liner in there? Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg
I just reviewed the story about the Knight Templer theory. In that theory the pit holds the Holy Grail. I guess that is another reason why this will never die. In that story the Holy Grail is 90' down. No one has gotten that far yet. I think the last attempt hit 60'.

Follows Camp Craig

Dec 1, 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Team Keene Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thought is that filming for the first season has already been wrapped up, edited and ready to hit the air.
If there was any good news it would have probably leaked out already. I imagine the show will fund further operations,
unless the show "tanks" in the ratings.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well from what i understand another person has to die before any secrete is revealed anyway so unless they plan on drowning someone down there it will just be a bunch of cliff hangers and commercials like he rest lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread