buried gold coins

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any detector is capable of find gold coins. You only need specialized ones for extremely small / thin gold jewelry. You would do better to focus on what type of container they were buried in.

OP
OP
I

izzyjazz

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for you input, however I would appreciate any other information regarding type, manufacturer, or model of a liable gold detector.
The gold is said to have been buried in wooden containers or cloth sacks.

OP
OP
I

izzyjazz

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the information.
I believe the depth is said to be give or take 6 feet.

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Izzy, I would suggest this detector, the Pulse Star II: Pulse Star II Info

I used to have one and it goes incredibly deep.

OP
OP
I

izzyjazz

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks perdidogringo, I will research the Pulse Star II..

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Thanks for the information.
I believe the depth is said to be give or take 6 feet.

Izzyjazz, just curious:

a) who said (what is the source of your info) that it is, of necessity, "~6 ft. deep" ? Because think of it: whomever buried it only needed it to be invisible from the surface, right? So what difference does 1, 2, 4, or 6 ft. make?

b) what country are you from ?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At 6 feet depth, you need to consider the believed quantity of the gold and the size of the parcel of land it is on. A pulse induction machine probably won't go deep enough. The two box machines also may not go deep enough. You might need to invest in ground penetrating radar. You might be able to do a rental, but it is extremely expensive. We can rent a small backhoe around here for about $300 per day, delivered. and picked up, but once you start digging like this or using the radar, you're going to be letting everybody know you're seriously looking for something WORTH looking for.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best of luck on your search & recovery!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hey gang, forgive me for being pessimistic, but ........ why is it, that some cultures (typically 3rd world countries like phillipines, mexico, etc..) all seem to believe any treasure legend they ever hear (a treasure *certainly* is buried in every cave afterall, eh?) . And humorously, the more gold that is *certain* to be there, then ....... doh.... it simply *must* be 6 to 10 ft. deep. And if they dig that deep and nothing's there, then presto, it must be 20 ft. deep, and so forth. Mind you, it's never that the treasure isn't there, it's always that it must be deeper.

When did such nonsense ever get started? I mean, think of it people: If you (way-back-when) went to hide something, what the heck difference would it make whether it was 1 ft. deep, or 10 ft. deep? As long as the surface is covered, the depth doesn't "hide" it any more or any better. If it's invisible from the top, what the heck difference does it make? It's equally as invisible whether 1 ft. deep or 10 ft. deep, right? :icon_scratch:

And if someone slowed down and gave this a moment's thought, they would see the absurdity of it: If you've ever dug a 6 or 10 ft. deep hole, with nothing but a shovel, do you have ANY IDEA how long that takes? I mean, didn't that person intend, presumably, to come back to it at some point to retrieve it? (or add and/or subtract from it as needed)? Then why oh why oh why do such urban legends get taken as gospel truth, that are all "6 to 10 ft. deep"?

Sorry for being a kill-joy, but ....... I think imaginations and campfire stories have just run too amok.

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't speak for Izzi's treasure, Tom, but the artifacts, coins, and treasure I search for in Panama and Colombia are usually from the 1500's to the mid 1600's (excluding one gold rush site I routinely search). When you take into account the tropical climate in both these places, anything that was buried then (even shallowly), is more than likely very deep now. That is the reason I sometimes use the Pulse Star II which routinely finds larger metal items several feet deep.

Sandman23

Dec 18, 2012
Tampa, FL.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter SS II. looking to upgrade soon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey gang, forgive me for being pessimistic, but ........ why is it, that some cultures (typically 3rd world countries like phillipines, mexico, etc..) all seem to believe any treasure legend they ever hear (a treasure *certainly* is buried in every cave afterall, eh?) . And humorously, the more gold that is *certain* to be there, then ....... doh.... it simply *must* be 6 to 10 ft. deep. And if they dig that deep and nothing's there, then presto, it must be 20 ft. deep, and so forth. Mind you, it's never that the treasure isn't there, it's always that it must be deeper.

When did such nonsense ever get started? I mean, think of it people: If you (way-back-when) went to hide something, what the heck difference would it make whether it was 1 ft. deep, or 10 ft. deep? As long as the surface is covered, the depth doesn't "hide" it any more or any better. If it's invisible from the top, what the heck difference does it make? It's equally as invisible whether 1 ft. deep or 10 ft. deep, right? :icon_scratch:

And if someone slowed down and gave this a moment's thought, they would see the absurdity of it: If you've ever dug a 6 or 10 ft. deep hole, with nothing but a shovel, do you have ANY IDEA how long that takes? I mean, didn't that person intend, presumably, to come back to it at some point to retrieve it? (or add and/or subtract from it as needed)? Then why oh why oh why do such urban legends get taken as gospel truth, that are all "6 to 10 ft. deep"?

Sorry for being a kill-joy, but ....... I think imaginations and campfire stories have just run too amok.

I guess it's not so much the depth, but more how the people who puts it there. Have YOU ever stop to think MAYBE that person put it that deep because that is what THEY felt was needed??

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
sandman 23, ok, please inform me: why does the person who puts is that deep, feel it needed to be that deep? I mean, before the advent of metal detectors (which is scarcely, realistically, much older than ~ 60 yrs old technology in practical terms) need to go "6 to 10 ft. deep" ? I mean, before the advent of detectors, what difference did 1 ft. or 5 ft. or 10 ft. make ? As long as the top soil was put back and the spot unknown to the casual passerby, then how the heck does burying it deeper, improve the hidden-ness of it? Either way, whether 1 ft. or 5 ft. or 10 ft. it's equally invisible. So I don't get it.

perdidogringo, the answer of dense jungle foilage is a reasonable answer to my question. Yes, if you're talking the type foilage/tree-shedding type environment, then yes, that would add depth.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Every gold coin cache I have burried in my life has been at least 6 feet deep ... I figure a short person wont dig a hole they cant get out of, hence my treasure will be safe!

Perses, do you see the circular nature of what you've just said? Do you see the self-imposed implications and irony of your statement? Read it again and see: What you're saying merely assumes that the "short person" knows it's there.

Now seriously, if a "short person" knew a "gold coin cache" was in a particular spot, since when does that stop him from getting a ladder, or a tall person to help, etc...? The explanation of "why gold caches are of necessity 6+ ft. deep" doesn't hold water.

There's not a PERSON ON THIS FORUM or anywhere in the world, who ........ if they "knew" a "gold coin cache" were buried in a certain spot, wouldn't figure out a way to retrieve it.

Sorry, but ...... doesn't make sense. I merely presumes the item wasn't hidden (and was known to the person looking) to begin with.

Last edited:

bcruzin

Jul 23, 2013
Roanoke VA
Detector(s) used
White's CoinMaster GT & MineLab 505 on loan
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Perses I appreciate your sarcasm! Lol
Unfortunately I think it's lost on some people

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Perses I appreciate your sarcasm! Lol
Unfortunately I think it's lost on some people

oh, for a minute, I thought someone was saying that was a viable explanation. Guess I'm just gullible, haha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread