Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought about this the other day and wanted to see your views on this topic.

Let's say in 100 years, the MDing hobby is still alive and well, and let's say people in the future will still be detecting with more modern machines, digging up all the coins that are being lost right now.

Do you think T-hunters 100 years from now will think it's a very big deal to dig up hundred-year-old coins like we do now?

I know it's exciting to dig up such coins today due to their age and more desirable silver or gold content, and I know some are rare, but I'm talking about age in general..I wonder if the thrill of finding a 2007 coin in the year 2107 will even compare to the thrill we have when we dig up century-old coins today.

Any thoughts?

Nat

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
We'll probably have most of the trash cleaned out by then , so I'd say they will be having a jolly good time with much better machines digging good stuff .

Trash Digger

Dec 15, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
WV Hillbilly said:
We'll probably have most of the trash cleaned out by then , so I'd say they will be having a jolly good time with much better machines digging good stuff .

You will go to your selected hunting area, remove your detector from your shirt pocket, and tell your machine precisely what area to scan with its ground sensors. Within seconds it will give you a complete readout of everything in the area, correctly IDing every item. You will then tell it what items to retrieve, and the robotic probes you have in your belt pouch will immediately go and retrieve every item you wish it to. 10 minutes later you will hit the button on your wrist transporter, and you and your finds will be back in your living room. Another hard day of metal detecting!

OK, maybe I have watched too much Star Trek in a mis-spent youth.

Mike

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Don't forget global warming. Half of the world will be under water by then. Detectorists will have to dive to find the coins then. ;D

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
Just think of all the land that will be exposed after all the ice melts . Wonder if they'll find pulltabs at the north pole ? ;D

chefrider

Feb 11, 2007
N ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
A T PRO
I think they would be excited if they could find one of these biodegradeable pennies that are being minted now. :o

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Looking into my Gypsy crystal ball ....I predict that pulltabs will be the coveted item in 100 years.....People will be amazed at finding them...such awesone relics of the past....There will Pulltab collectors and possibly even counterfeit pulltabs....They will talk about how we of this generation lost so many of them and just tossed them aside ....aluminum will be highly prized

Attachments

• gypsy- fortune teller.gif
    gypsy- fortune teller.gif
    20.9 KB · Views: 469

NorCal 6er

Aug 24, 2006
chowchilla, ca
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, GMT, XLT, Fisher C$, Gold Bug 2, 1225, 1220, Minelab SD2200v2
Just going with my finds today, the ground around here very bad on pennies. found about 10 ft apart

1944 wheat not to bad, date a little hard to read back ok

2000 lin/mem can read the 000 of the date ok and ert of liberty the rest is gone can't even see the back

HH
Joe

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
lumbercamp said:
Don't forget global warming. Half of the world will be under water by then. Detectorists will have to dive to find the coins then. ;D
If you insist on talking about it, lets get it right -- only South Florida and some very low lying coastal areas would be underwater. ;) 8) 8) 8)

I dont think the plastics, modern coinage and other crap they make today will hold up underground. I guess people will still wear and lose quality jewelry. But it wont be the same.

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NorCal 6er said:
Just going with my finds today, the ground around here very bad on pennies. found about 10 ft apart, 1944 wheat not to bad, date a little hard to read back ok,2000 lin/mem can read the 000 of the date ok and ert of liberty the rest is gone can't even see the back
Many of the modern pennies I find are also corroded or obliterated beyond recognition..maybe finding one in good shape will be the "big find".

lumbercamp said:
I dont think the plastics, modern coinage and other crap they make today will hold up underground. I guess people will still wear and lose quality jewelry. But it wont be the same.
I tend to think clad quarters and dimes will still be recognized..every one I've ever found were tarnished but not corroded.

As for pulltabs, I predict the darn things will be around 'til the end of time ;D

Nat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread