GOOOOAAAAALLLLLSSSS!!!!!

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What are your detecting goals for 2007. I guess I'm two months late for this but the cold weather had me down Jan & Feb. It looks like I may get out on Sunday for a little while.

This will be my first full year in the hobby so my goals are pretty simple.

1. A silver coin from the 1800s? (closest so far 1903 Barber Dime)
2. A Buffalo Nickel? (I've like them since I was a kid)
3. Alteast three Gold rings? (I found two last year - just want to beat 2006)
4. To locate some sites through research? Up until now I hit known parks and farms

I hope you all achieve your own goals and wish me luck.

NJ

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
My coin goals aren't too bad, I just started in sept of '06, so I'm gonna go easy on myself. I want to get over 100 wheats, a large cent, and a morgan. As far as rings, I just want to break the gold barrier. I think these should be pretty easy, I've already gotten several silver coins, and about a dozen IH pennies. I really just wanna make a lot of holes, and I hope there's something good at the bottom of a few.

Oh, I also want to get my 8lb smallmouth bass, I know where he lives, I just gotta land him.

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Lets see here....I just want to get out as much as I can and have a good time doing it. As for the loot....I want it all and will not stop until i have it all HEHEHEEHEHHE ;D

PA-Hunter

Feb 11, 2007
northumberland county, Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, since i only started metal detecting again last year, i would like to find a gaold ring some old coins from the early 1900's and what ever else shows up.
The weather is finally getting warmer here so hope to get out soon

PA_Hunter

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cooper culture artifacts
1700s also
big pennie/s
cache of some sorts

swingman

Feb 7, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab (2), Garrett (2), Whites (2)
Would love to get a couple 'firsts' -
a platinum ring, gold coin (of course!), nickel 3-cent piece (fat chance - I'd have to tolerate digging pounds of foil),
half cent.
Haven't gotten a Flying Eagle or Bust coin for awhile - that would be cool.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Posted mine earlier today somewhere else here goes>>>>>>>>>>
3 hunts a week 50 coins (minimum) per trip ====150 WEEK
150 a week x 4 weeks (month)============600 COINS A MONTH
X9 months
5400 coins
mostly clad

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
N.J.THer said:
What are your detecting goals for 2007. I guess I'm two months late for this but the cold weather had me down Jan & Feb. It looks like I may get out on Sunday for a little while.

4. To locate some sites through research? Up until now I hit known parks and farms

NJ

Amazing. Except for the rings we're pretty close. Though I consider min more hopes and desires than goals.

I found a Buffalo Nickel while detecting, but I eyeballed it half buried before I detected it. Go figure.

I'll swap any large cent for a gold ring. ;D Just something about large cents that spins my propeller and I have yet to find one. I've traded and purchased some, but that don't count. A Civil War token would be appreciated, too (this is like my letter to Santa).

I've found four potential sites through research I have yet to prove as "silver mines". One is a rope ferry that crossed a canal in the 1830's to 1860's (the side with the shack is now on the edge of a interstate near a fishing access parkinglot - perfect) and the other is a church on what was once a through road (as shown on a 1904 town map) but is now a seasonal use dead end from either end. I also know of a third (a site of a railroad station now brushlot) but I doubt I'll get permission there. The forth is foundation that I have been told was a hotel in the late 1800's, then an orphanage early this century which burned, and is now on a deadend road near railroad tracks. The nearest landowner is my brother-in-law, though it is trash city from kids partying in the ruins before the road was blocked.

Signed on with a MD club just this week and will participate in my first "canned hunt" this summer (purposely buried coins at a picnic style hunt). I have a feeling I've stumbled on the nature of some of the finds we see in various forums (why isn't that coin cruddy in the image of it half-buried in a dug hole?) ;)

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
N.J.THer said:

NJ

Have not been out as much as I would like but here is the updates:

1. Still no silver from the 1800s - but I did find a copper from the 1700s which was going to be one of my goals for next year.
2. The Buffalo still eludes me but I'm digging more targets in the nickel range which produced my first War Nickel this past weekend - 1943 P - I will get you Buffalo...
3. No gold rings so far but I usually look for these while vacationing so that will be toward the end of the summer. Plus I'm in the market for a Minelab Excalibur which should really help.
4. I've received permission to hunt an old private home site but I'm waiting for more rain so the lawn does not turn brown. I have the map of the site from the late 1800s showing the house, carriage house, outhouse, coops and well. Should be fun.

I hope everyone has accomplished their goals so far and are doing better then me.

NJ

Bodyguard

Mar 11, 2007
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
BH Sharpshooter II
By the end of the year,

Find my first :

1.Silver Coin

2.Gold Ring

3.Buffalo Nickel

And to lose about 20 lbs from all the walking around I'm doing

JR

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
DFX-Gregg said:
Posted mine earlier today somewhere else here goes>>>>>>>>>>
3 hunts a week 50 coins (minimum) per trip ====150 WEEK
150 a week x 4 weeks (month)============600 COINS A MONTH
X9 months
5400 coins
mostly clad

About to hit my goal for year in next two weeks which I saw coming so I raised my goal from 5400 to 10,000. First year back in detecting did not realize how much detectors had improved since my last detector 20 years ago a White's Coinmaster 6000 series 3. The dfx is a great detector, hope everyone who set a goal reaches it. :)

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
Get permission to search more private property, older property, then I'll take what I find. Seriously though, I would like to get a few class rings. I have found many gold rings in the Missouri dirt, but very few class rings. I like them because those are the easiest ones to return, and the intrinsic reward is a really great feeling. So there you have it.

B

BIG61AL

1 - any silver coin

2 - an old silver coin

3 - any coin older than 1930

4 - a second, third, forth etc etc etc gold item

5 - any jewelry with some nice fat diamonds

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well with 2007 quickly running out I was able to cross off one more goal today. At lunch time I left work and went to a local park where I found a 1897 Barber Dime my first silver coin from the 1800s. I also found a gold diamond ring a few weeks back in the same park so I just need two more gold rings to complete that one. I'll try to post the dime in Today's finds tonight when I have access to my camera.

Happy Hunting

NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions