Would you watch? or Subscribe to?

FandHPhoto

Feb 13, 2007
Visalia Ca -Central Valley AKA The CROTCH of Calif
Detector(s) used
GARRET ACE 250
For an All Metal Detecting/Treasure Hobby Channel?

I am surprised this has not been done yet...
Even before I got into MDing I loved Treasure hunting specials Movies and love to see going rates for rare coins or stamps and would love to see a show that kinda teaches you what to look for when getting into collecting things be it comics or coins...

There is one on Travel Channel I think I have watched it like 20 times (something called Places to find Hidden Treasure)

I would dig watching someone on TV go MD'ing (hey we cant all go MDing 24-7 so might as well watch it on tv they could also give tips and even show us how to use the more popular MD's a bit better...

However this could really be pulled off... I mean there are enough Hobbies that deal in collecting things such as stamps coins gems dolls toys antiques...the list is endless....

I think one of the most VALUABLE tools these days to gauge the value of something is EBAY I am an avid Ebay seller (making about 1000-2000 per month on a software I made for photographers) and I will look up my findings or buy coins on ebay all the time.

I would LOVE to see a cable channel like this or even a website that has a lot of video streams that show these sorts of things.

If I only had a couple mil... I think I'd start a cable TV channel...

T

TreasureTales

Hmm, unless people/subscribers are willing to watch a lot of folks getting skunked week after week, I don't know how they could have a channel devoted to treasure hunting. It's a very iffy hobby, as we all know. They say it takes a week to get enough good shots to make a half hour fishing or hunting show, how long would it take to produce an interesting treasure hunt show, especially on a regular basis.

I like the Travel Channel with their new series starring Becky. I'd like to see that series stick around for a couple years, if possible. Just imagine the difficulty in finding new treasure sites and then in actually finding the treasure. That's gotta be a tough show to make.

I'm all for it, but I don't think it's really feasible for an extended period of time.

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
One of the local channels here has a half hour program called "Gold Trails and Ghost Towns". It's usually an overview of a different area of British Columbia each time, with all the mining and history relating to trains, or orther forms of transportation. And theres usually a treasure story, or lost mine story thrown in. In the earlier episodes, there was one show where they went up to the Yukon in summer and did some panning. I was nearly droolling over the sight of all they got in only a few hours with a pan, right from the river within about 50 feet of the highway.

For those interested, you can order each of the 16 episodes of that show on VHS from:
http://www.chbc.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=103

Maybe a program involving; metal detectors and the various types of other detector equipment, would be more interesting. Part of the show could be devoted to finds of all kinds, from gold to bottles, to the trash heaps that formed from people dumping "garbage" over embankments.

I found one of these years ago within about 30 feet of the North Thompson River and spent days digging through it. Ended up with a 1907 Fairbanks Morse Engine that could run on diesel or almost anything you wanted to pour into it. It had two huge flywheels, about 2 feet in diameter and wieghed in about 250 pounds, (I think it was only a 1.5 horse power). Also found what was left of an wood stove from a small ship. They made them light by using a cast iron face, but everything else was lower guage and rusted apart. I suspect that both of these items came from what was left of a very small paddlewheeler, (about 20 feet long), that was rotting away nearby.

I wonder if there aren't already other programs like the one I mentioned above that never make it to cable, or satellite.

F.

T

treasurejack

I've often wondered about an Antiques Roadshow spinoff, where the appraisers & pros become average Joe treasure hunters, invite us to go along so we can see what they're able to find. Could also include things like dump diving, privy digs, MDing old sites, etc. I'm sure there's a lot out there if you could just bring all of the different types of "valuable treasure" knowledge together in the same show.

Preston

Tenderfoot
Mar 3, 2007
I have watched the show and if you goto the Travel Channel web page and look at Best Places to find cash and treasure and look at the diferent shows, they have one for meteorites in NM and Kansas where a guy built a coil that attaches to the back of a ATV and picks up real deep. They found a $100,000 meterite.

coll stuff that is how I am getting intrested it this stuff!!

shadowwalker

Feb 19, 2006
I watch the Outdoor channel on satelite dish. They have hunting,fishing,metal detecting,prospecting,rodeo-ing,ect.. all the good stuff.

T

TreasureTales

shadowwalker said:
I watch the Outdoor channel on satelite dish. They have hunting,fishing,metal detecting,prospecting,rodeo-ing,ect.. all the good stuff.

Yep, that IS the good stuff. Sure beats American Idol, The Apprentice and similar garbage. I wish my local cable and satellite service companies would offer the Outdoor Channel. Unfortunately, this little community has become a haven for radical environmentalists who think fishing, hunting, treasure hunting, prospecting, rodeoing, etc. are unacceptable. As a result the Outdoor Channel isn't offered - "too few subscribers" declares our cable and satellite companies. Fools!!

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
I just caught the last 20 minutes or so of "Rough Science" on the knowledge network tonight. The main objective was to build a rocker type sluice box powered by a water wheel. The finished product actually worked, but was rough. They're conintuing that next week, but having missed the first part of the show, I'm not sure what the final objective is. I wouldn't mind seeing more though.

I'm into anything DIY relating to mining, prospecting generally and treasure hunting. But I get the impression that young people these days would rather play video games with action adventure themes, instead of actually going out exploring in the wilderness and having real adventures. I can still remember the first time I went in a motorized rubber raft about 50 miles from anything resembling civilization and stopping to pan gold from a sand bar mid river. Spotted something on the river bank and went over later to check it out. Turned out to be an old dumping area down the embankment from a long abandoned farmhouse. Spent the rest of the day digging out bottles, the cast iron front of a riverboats wood stove and an old dual flywheel motor. Wish they made TV programs about stuff like that.

F.

T

TreasureTales

It would be great if there was a TreasureNet TV show. Each week a different member could be interviewed or followed on a hunt. Then they could show some of the serious work done by CW detectors. And there could be an ID section with PBK, Montana Jim, Angelo and others who are good at it. Now THAT would be a great way to tie the website with a weekly program. Marc - are you reading this?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy watching any treasure show no matter if it is digging rocks, gems, or coins and bottles. People collect anything. I don't however think I could get into watching a guy wind string he's found onto his string ball. Metal detector manufactures are not that rich to sponsor a Program on detecting for long.

OP
OP
FandHPhoto

FandHPhoto

Feb 13, 2007
Visalia Ca -Central Valley AKA The CROTCH of Calif
Detector(s) used
GARRET ACE 250
TreasureTales said:
It would be great if there was a TreasureNet TV show. Each week a different member could be interviewed or followed on a hunt. Then they could show some of the serious work done by CW detectors. And there could be an ID section with PBK, Montana Jim, Angelo and others who are good at it. Now THAT would be a great way to tie the website with a weekly program. Marc - are you reading this?

You could interview me... I could do a show about being without a MD for almost 2 weeks...
and how crazy I have become.

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
TreasureTales said:
It would be great if there was a TreasureNet TV show.

You / we / they, could make one. As they say, where theres a will, theres likely a dead person involved. If everyone who went MD'ing, or prospecting took along a video camera and taped the high points and did a short one person, (self made), interview, (they might have to rely on the "voices" they hear), they could put the "show" up on YouTube. If everyone who did that included teasurenet as part of their youtube name, it would be easier to find the shows, but starting a forum just for these "shows" would be a good place for posting links to a new a episode once its been edited and uploaded.

Theres no shortage of video editing software out there to do this sort of thing and alot of good freeware programs like those listed here:
http://tv.isg.si/site/?q=node/873

Each week a different member could be interviewed or followed on a hunt. Then they could show some of the serious work done by CW detectors. And there could be an ID section with PBK, Montana Jim, Angelo and others who are good at it. Now THAT would be a great way to tie the website with a weekly program. Marc - are you reading this?

If each member of treasurenet made one video a year, that would be enough for those of us who are virtually housebound through the winter months. They could divide the video's up into MDing, Prosepecting, regular Treasure Hunting and Sunken Treasure. I'd watch them all though. ;D

F.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
TreasureTales said:
Hmm, unless people/subscribers are willing to watch a lot of folks getting skunked week after week, I don't know how they could have a channel devoted to treasure hunting. It's a very iffy hobby, as we all know. They say it takes a week to get enough good shots to make a half hour fishing or hunting show, how long would it take to produce an interesting treasure hunt show, especially on a regular basis.

I like the Travel Channel with their new series starring Becky. I'd like to see that series stick around for a couple years, if possible. Just imagine the difficulty in finding new treasure sites and then in actually finding the treasure. That's gotta be a tough show to make.

I'm all for it, but I don't think it's really feasible for an extended period of time.

Ditto.
"willing to watch a lot of folks getting skunked week after week"

have a good un.................
SHERMANVILLE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions