What is your worst discovery while detecting?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My worse find was a dead cat in a lime green plastic sack. Next to that was a "dead body" that was reported to the sheriff's office. I dug it up on a local lakeside beach. What it really was was a blond wig stuffed with trash and buried in the sand. It sure gave me an eerie feeling when I first uncovered the human hair! Monty

ZoSo71

Nov 5, 2006
Somewhere near Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX / Modded BH Land Star
I was digging a dollar signal on top of a huge hill that overlooked land that I detect on.
It was a Funerary Urn, Of the original owner of the land. I promptly returned it to the hole.
I can see why someone chose that spot. The view was stunning. But they didn't put it deep enough!

ZoSo71

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Worst one probably happened today...was at "the depot" in the tin shack and lifted up that metal shelving that is lying on the floor to lean it up against the wall. I get it up to shoulder height and look down and there is a huge rat staring at me about 1.5 feet away. He was pretty big. I put the shelving back down gently and left.

...and the metal plate in my friend's skull ;)

HH!
TBGO

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
Lets see. I guess that my worst discovery while detecting would have to be the tot lot where some ignornant teens smeared feces all over the playground equipment. It was pretty gross. Needless to say I turned around and left with great haste, all the while cursing these section 8 assbags for their stupidity.

DDDinMD

Froggie

Feb 19, 2007
Stafford Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Mine was last week, the FIRST time ever detecting, I accidently dug up our pet rabbitt that had died a few months earlier while I was out of town. My kids buried it, I never asked exactly where they buried her.

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
I was just a kid, using a SEARS "nail finder" detector that I got for christmas. My first time out with it, I "discovered" the copper line running from my grandparents farm house to the Propane tank. I didn't severe it, but I put a sizable enough dent in it, that it restricted the gas flow. Needless to say, my grandfather wasn't pleased....... :-)

Jules

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
The Beep Goes On said:
Worst one probably happened today...was at "the depot" in the tin shack and lifted up that metal shelving that is lying on the floor to lean it up against the wall. I get it up to shoulder height and look down and there is a huge rat staring at me about 1.5 feet away. He was pretty big. I put the shelving back down gently and left.

...and the metal plate in my friend's skull ;)

HH!
TBGO
TBGO,
And I was going to look in there when I went.... I am glad you looked...I would have run out of there so fast ::)

I was at an old park years ago and was digging for a coin and got to a plastic bag of dog doo...I was wondering why the ground was so soft......EEEEWWWWWWW I didn't even dig any further for the coin

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fort Lauderdale beach.Goat's head a few months ago.Yes I took a pic.

Attachments

• goat head lauderdale.jpg
    goat head lauderdale.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 374
  • goat head lauderdale.jpg
    goat head lauderdale.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 384

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine had to be the time on one of my previous post. I ripped up the floor boards of an old abandoned house I've been searching. I stuck my head down between the floor & dirt ground. I saw a curved thing that I thought looked like a small handle of a kids umbrella. When I pulled it out, I realized I had a dead dried up possum by the tail!!!
:P :o ;D
-MM-
P.S. I'm glad he was dead. ;D

OP
OP
Blind.In.Texas

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
Mine had to be the time on one of my previous post. I ripped up the floor boards of an old abandoned house I've been searching. I stuck my head down between the floor & dirt ground. I saw a curved thing that I thought looked like a small handle of a kids umbrella. When I pulled it out, I realized I had a dead dried up possum by the tail!!!
-MM-
I remember that post. There was an older man taking pictures and when he heard noises he ran off, right? I say you shoulda tossed the dried possum out the window at him. That woulda made a great gag!!!!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TokenFinder said:
ModernMiner said:
-MM-
I remember that post. There was an older man taking pictures and when he heard noises he ran off, right? I say you shoulda tossed the dried possum out the window at him. That woulda made a great gag!!!!

Yep, that's the one. ;D That was a funny day. I can still picture that old guys startled face, and him running out of the woods. Classic. ;D
-MM-

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
It's been years ago but I found a broken upper denture plate with a gold tooth. It was near a railroad crossing where several auto vs train wrecks had occured. I got $16.00 bucks for it at pawn shop. Not a great conversation piece in your collection.

shadowwalker

Feb 19, 2006
I was walking back from prospecting/detecting at a dried creek in gold country. I heard a low moaning come from some sagebrush. It sounded like a humming. I crept slowly to it. In a shallow ditch I found a mule deer shot in the stomache. He had been there for awhile, he had pawed the ground where he tried to get up, so bad he raked all the vegatation down to the dirt. As I approached he bent his head down toward me and closed his eyes. I shot him. Made it fast, in the end,anyway for him.
I found him in August. A long time before deer season.

drywasher

Feb 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found a gold front tooth while md on an old woods trail. LOOKED around and could not find any other body parts.
checking on the history of the area , later at home, i found that the area was by an old logging camp, history says there was an old still in that area. so i figure some body lost it one way or the other.
make a kind of cool necklace for special occasions.
just kidding.
it's in it's own little box in the treasure chest.
george

T

TreasureTales

Found the ubiquitous hypodermic needles - bad news.

Strangest was a boar's tusk recovered from a lake. Came up in my sand scoop. Odd in that the lake is surrounded by buildings so a wild pig would not have been near or in the lake for 100 years.

konnon6

Feb 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
homemade/whites DFX/MinlabGP3000/Garret 250
I found an old metal box with a handel on top.
I look at everything and anything, so I spent all day digging
up this old metal box.tired and worn out, I dreamed of great treasures.All the money Gold silver cash! Nope just the lid to an
old septic tank!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One fine day at an old farm site I had a nice hit near the chicken coop. I read somewhere that was a good spot to hide a cache since the chickens noise would wake the farmer if someone was poking around lookin' for his money. On digging down a foot I dug up a old square lunch box. Inside were the bones of some pet rat or hampster that must have been a loved pet.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess, a Broken Jar that I reached into & sliced my finger
good, while reaching in the hole to dig it out with my fingers.

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
while detecting along the edge of a railroad embankment i found the body of a deceased male who had fallen from the top of the enbankment and struck his head on a largge boulder medical examiner said he had expired 12 hours earlier sorry but you did ask

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread