why do we bother?

dlvasil

Jan 10, 2007
ravenna, ohio
Detector(s) used
garret ace 250
I gotta tell you this is becoming quite frustrating to me! Lets summarize my current progress. I have invested 250 bucks in a detector, spent 14 hours at the library and bought half a dozen maps, spent 75-100 bucks in gas running around looking at potential hunting sites and endured the "look" from my wife and co-workers more times than I care to count.
Finally the weather breaks over 35deg and on my first day out on the Cuyahoga river banks in Kent I lose my shoe in some muck and while extricating my self I lose the my second shoe. but, I am not beaten yet so I find a signal reading a coin 2" down. I lean the 250 against a tree and bend down to dig and the headphone cord pulls the unit over and yanks the wire end out of my headphone jack... my 1st Garret freebie ruined! Still not beaten, I frantically chip away thru 3/4" of ice and bend the crap outta my free digging tool from Garret only to pull out a rusty old muffler clamp! So I decide to call it a day since I am cold wet and covered in mud.
a week later I pull off the road onto a dirt road and immediately realize that this is probably not going to have a real good ending as my F150 sinks into the mud and I have to call a tow truck. So, while waiting for the truck I do a bit of swinging and pull up a 8"piece of rebar.
I give the tow truck guy $65.00 to pull me out and he asks what are you doing down in here anyway? I explain the relic hunting stuff and he says, "Yeah my girlfriend is into that stuff too. She just found an old satchel full of arrowheads!"
I am beginning to think I should start stamp collecting instead :)
david
ravenna,oh

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I feel your pain. You will also find that hunting and fishing often times produce the same results and that's after spending thousands on pickups, boats and rifles. David, listen carefully. (I'm whispering this) Get something going with the towtruck driver's girlfriend........no, really.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's friggin funny man. ;D :D ;D :D.There must be something wrong with us huh? ;) .It's all about the wanton anticipation of the hunt.Not about the actual finds! ;D ;D ;D ;D .

Daisy

Apr 16, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Poor guy. LOL
Don't give up just yet. You'll find some treasure and maybe, just maybe, break even. In the mean time, "find" your wife a gold ring so she stops giving you "the look". ;)
Best of luck,
D.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
So what is your point? LOL!

It beats getting "the look" from your wife from home when you don't pick up your clothes. Or track mud in on the carpet. Or drink a beer knowing you need to mow the lawn. Don't be so hard on yourself. You have tried to do the hardest type of hunting first. Go dig in your yard and bark chip play grounds. Go buy a $100 gold ring in your wifes size. Then bring it home all muddy mixed in with a bunch of tabs. As you making a mess in the kitchen sink while still getting the look from your wife. Let out a scream and show her the ring. After she slips it on - you will now get a different look from your wife. All will be well! Good luck.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now THAT was a great post!!! ;D Don't give up, better times are coming your way. Hit the playgrounds for awhile. They are safe and loaded with coins and jewelry usually.
Good luck.
-MM-

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
khouse said:
Go buy a $100 gold ring in your wifes size. Then bring it home all muddy mixed in with a bunch of tabs. As you making a mess in the kitchen sink while still getting the look from your wife. Let out a scream and show her the ring. After she slips it on - you will now get a different look from your wife. All will be well! Good luck.

Good advice!!!!

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
dlvasil said:
I gotta tell you this is becoming quite frustrating to me! Lets summarize my current progress. I have invested 250 bucks in a detector, spent 14 hours at the library and bought half a dozen maps, spent 75-100 bucks in gas running around looking at potential hunting sites and endured the "look" from my wife and co-workers more times than I care to count.
Finally the weather breaks over 35deg and on my first day out on the Cuyahoga river banks in Kent I lose my shoe in some muck and while extricating my self I lose the my second shoe. but, I am not beaten yet so I find a signal reading a coin 2" down. I lean the 250 against a tree and bend down to dig and the headphone cord pulls the unit over and yanks the wire end out of my headphone jack... my 1st Garret freebie ruined! Still not beaten, I frantically chip away thru 3/4" of ice and bend the crap outta my free digging tool from Garret only to pull out a rusty old muffler clamp! So I decide to call it a day since I am cold wet and covered in mud.
a week later I pull off the road onto a dirt road and immediately realize that this is probably not going to have a real good ending as my F150 sinks into the mud and I have to call a tow truck. So, while waiting for the truck I do a bit of swinging and pull up a 8"piece of rebar.
I give the tow truck guy $65.00 to pull me out and he asks what are you doing down in here anyway? I explain the relic hunting stuff and he says, "Yeah my girlfriend is into that stuff too. She just found an old satchel full of arrowheads!"
I am beginning to think I should start stamp collecting instead :)
david
ravenna,oh
I have had days where my only finds are a sore back and a killer headache. I don't M ding for the soul purpose of finding treasure, sure it's on my mind but I've become familiar with the my machine, and the time that is allotted to myself. I am a finder at hart but certainly don't find goodies every time I hunt. Usually on weekends, when most of the students at San Diego State are drinking, I can be found at the beach swinging my DFX all night.
Given the time that I've spent hunting, I would have been done with the hobby long ago if my finds showed my dedication. Sometimes you need to get away form the world, and instead of the bottle, I've chosen the DFX. I only speak for myself, but I bother because M Ding has given me one more way to express the explorer inside of me, and has actually given me opportunities to help others.

T

treasurejack

packerbacker said:
Yep, I feel your pain. You will also find that hunting and fishing often times produce the same results and that's after spending thousands on pickups, boats and rifles. David, listen carefully. (I'm whispering this) Get something going with the towtruck driver's girlfriend........no, really.

Whoo PB...that was a good one!lol

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Wow! Sorry to hear about your bad luck! Let me ask you a question do you live by any parks? If so why not start there???? I think people should think about where they are going to hunt before they buy a detector. Hopefully you can think of a few places closer then these swamps you have been hunting in.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Well I got skunked this weekend myself with the top find being a toss up between a spoon, matching fork, or a old saw thing, and drove 200 miles to do it, but if you look at some of my post you will see somtimes I get on top some good stuff. So never say die, I always go dig clad when i get discouraged

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Daisy, It looks like I was writing my post while you were posing yours.

Your post wasn't up when I decided to reply. But it looks like we were on the same thought!
Kenny

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where's the picture of the muffler clamp?

Beats watching TV and nullifying your brain. Costs less than smoking. Costs a LOT less than sailing or flying private airplanes. Good exercise, fresh air, admiration of millions of people . . . well, good exercise anyway.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Daisy, Great minds dig a like. Nice smiley on the right!

This message contains no text.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of us have stories that are worse than that. That is what makes us come back and do the swingy thing.

konnon6

Feb 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
homemade/whites DFX/MinlabGP3000/Garret 250
If it were easy, everone would be doing it! Wait they are.
Now think where do people loose money?Where do people put things?When you were a kid did you ever hide money?I have been in
old suwers, wells, septic tanks,barns with hourse dew,Trees with bee hives,Old smelly car trunks,Attics,basements,and some I won't name.
but it aint easy, but you will find that payoff just when you least exspect it!I found an old rusty pistol at the bottom of a well, and sold
it for fourty bucks, you couldn't even tell what kind it was!Cash in a dish washer!A wall full of change!A 2x4 with silver coins inside.But I have suffered cuts and brused knees, being sick from mold,stolen metal detector from my car,fines,and alot of stuff. But don't give up!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
konnon6 said:
If it were easy, everone would be doing it! Wait they are.
Now think where do people loose money?Where do people put things?When you were a kid did you ever hide money?I have been in
old suwers, wells, septic tanks,barns with hourse dew,Trees with bee hives,Old smelly car trunks,Attics,basements,and some I won't name.
but it aint easy, but you will find that payoff just when you least exspect it!I found an old rusty pistol at the bottom of a well, and sold
it for fourty bucks, you couldn't even tell what kind it was!Cash in a dish washer!A wall full of change!A 2x4 with silver coins inside.But I have suffered cuts and brused knees, being sick from mold,stolen metal detector from my car,fines,and alot of stuff. But don't give up!

Konnon,
You forgot to mention that all those things were just on your 1st day!!! ;D
-MM-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread