Purchasing my first detector

Irish Reb

Jan 14, 2014
High Springs, Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello, I am new at this site and excited about starting this hobby. I have been interested for along time and finally starting. I have done a lot of reading and purchased some good books for beginners and I think that I know what I want to buy. I am interested in a Garrett Ace 250 or 350. Would like to know from the experts if you think that this is a good reasonable unit to start with. This is the budget range I want to be in. Wondering if there are any other suggestions that I should consider. Thanks.

Smooth Blend

Nov 30, 2013
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari w/ 11"DD coil, 10"x12"SEF, 15"WOT coil, Garrett Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can you should purchase a used AT Pro. Promise you won't be disapointed.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took the budget up another $100 and went with the White's Coinmaster GT. Not entry level but not the ATP level either. Lots of bells and whistles, easy to learn!

Lynne G. Peck

Dec 14, 2013
Vero Beach Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrtee AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my AT Pro for two weeks now and you would have a tough time prying it out of my hands!! I had a high teck detector that cost over $1000 and it didn't preform any where near the AT Pro. First time out found 74 coins in three hours in the same area that I had worked & worked with the other detector. Enough said!!!

Dirt.Hound

Mar 5, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do yourself a favor and spend a bit more money on a mid-range machine ($400-$600 range). You will find yourself wanting to upgrade from anything less in a short time... trust me! It will cost less in the long run to spend the money up front. Another good option is to buy used... you can get a really good 2nd hand machine for $500 or less.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett or Fisher, either one will do you a good job. You might also look at the Teknetics Eurotek. It is made by the same company as Fisher detectors, First Texas, and like Garrett, they are made in the USA.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with all. Make sure you purchase your entry level machine with a VDI/TID display. A 0-99 numbered display will help learning many different targets.
Welcome and good luck...
Peace

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd go with the Ace 250 with a DD coil and a pro-pointer and a good shovel & a good digger.
Welcome

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! If you can get your hands on some detectors and "test drive" a few different ones, see which you like.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread