Kicked out of park

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
It's been awhile since I was kicked out of a county park for metal detection, and at the time I posted it on this thread:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/348141-kicked-out-park.html

Last Monday I was at our local gold prospectors club, and one of our County Commissioners joined the club that night. So I zeroed in on him, and bent his ear. The outcome of that is he contacted the County Parks Director, and I've just been notified to call the Director, and he will reexamine county policy regarding panning and detecting, with MY help.

So everyone, I don't want to blow this, please help, give me some good ideas to present to the man. This is a huge county with lots of parks, and I'd like to see a president set that others could refer to. I don't have a lot of time, so, HELP please.

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Bump - ---- Come on guys, I need some help.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD'ers help people out when they've lost items and can't find them. Personal items are returned when the owner can be identified. Items of historical significance are often donated or displayed so everyone can enjoy them and learn about history. We remove harmful trash found. Smaller, neater holes are dug and refilled when a detector is used to pin point exactly where a target is. It's a healthy non-harmful family activity that gets people out in the fresh air enjoying themselves, reliving stress, and pursuing happiness.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
A big problem with the parks around here is litter. Encouraging people who by definition do not litter, and will actually remove litter at no charge to the county, would seem to be a win-win proposition to me. Perhaps it will to him as well.

There are other benefits as well, but focus on the ones that are benefits for the county. Address his concerns appropriately, answer his questions, and offer to demonstrate a recovery for him if he has reservations about any potential damage that may be caused by it. Also, be on time, be polite, dress nicely, don't talk like a sailor, yadda yadda yadda. You're an ambassador, so be ready to play the part.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
if your talking about the county at your kicked out of park link, im not sure there is a problem with
gold panning, the Mding is prob a state law, i didnt look but if it is, the Director prob cant do much
about it, looking around,and not sure its up to date, but seems to be

IS GOLD PANNING ALLOWED?
All property under the river’s high water mark is owned by the Department of State Lands. Check with DSL for the rules: State of Oregon: Department of State Lands
source
Douglas County Oregon e-Government - Parks Dept.

• Recreational Placer Mining​ - 2014 Applications not available until January 1, 2014
  • source
  • State of Oregon: Department of State Lands
  • Recreational Placer Mining
  • Changes to the 2014 Placer Mining Rules
    Due to the passage of Senate Bill 838, the Department has updated the Administrative Rules for Recreational Placer Mining within Essential Salmonid Habitat (ESH). Highlights of the new rules include limiting the number of permits or authorizations the Department may issue for Recreational Placer mining within ESH to 850 and changes in operation conditions.
    The on-line application process will be available beginning January 1, 2014. To be eligible to apply for 2014, monitoring reports from those who had an authorization in 2013 must submit the report by December 31, 2013.
  • The Department of State Lands regulates recreational placer mining through two types of removal-fill permits: General Authorizations (GAs) and Individual Permits (IPs).
  • more at link
  • Wetlands/Waterways Removal-Fill Recreational Placer Mining

Wetlands/Waterways Removal-Fill Recreational Placer Mining

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

It's been awhile since I was kicked out of a county park for metal detection, and at the time I posted it on this thread:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/348141-kicked-out-park.html

Last Monday I was at our local gold prospectors club, and one of our County Commissioners joined the club that night. So I zeroed in on him, and bent his ear. The outcome of that is he contacted the County Parks Director, and I've just been notified to call the Director, and he will reexamine county policy regarding panning and detecting, with MY help.

So everyone, I don't want to blow this, please help, give me some good ideas to present to the man. This is a huge county with lots of parks, and I'd like to see a president set that others could refer to. I don't have a lot of time, so, HELP please.

Don't know how to help you get them to change that back. But I'd be curious if he knows WHY it was ever something made illegal, way-back-when, to begin with? What put it on their radar as something that needed to be addressed? As opposed to merely silent-on-the-issue?

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they have problems with some leaving big or uncovered holes then have them use a permit as they do here in at least one county and is free, but one could lose the permit if they are damaging the ground or leaving the trash they dig up. HH

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
BosnMate, i see my edit of my post didnt work, i want to thank you for taking an ambassador role
for the hobby, i know its for your state/county of interest, i think anywhere positive dialog for the
hobby is good, one other thing, maybe some dialog on the word "historic" or prehistoric artifacts,
IE: IS METAL DETECTING ALLOWED?
The collection of historic or prehistoric artifacts from beneath or above the ground or disturbing the ground for the purpose of locating artifacts or using or possessing a metal or mineral detector on park property is prohibited without specific written permission from the Park Department.
Douglas County Oregon e-Government - Parks Dept.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread